Reload this Page >

Mailboxes (drops) after security

Old Feb 17, 20, 4:39 am
nrr
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

I recollect that after 9/11 these “disappeared”.
On 2/12/20 I was in JFK T4 and noticed a slot in the wall near gate B30 (also near a men’s room) marked US POSTAL SERVICE, it was a small slot. Should I assume that if I deposited a letter it will be picked up by the USPS?
(Most mailboxes have pickup times noted—this one did not.)
Old Feb 17, 20, 9:19 am

I don't think these are all gone - though I can't speak intelligently about JFK. I'm pretty sure the mailboxes at Denver at still there (post-security).
Old Feb 17, 20, 12:11 pm

Some are run by airport volunteers and are marked that they are not official post office boxes. It's possible that the JFK one is no longer collected. They should weld the slot shut if that's true. I wouldn't chance it.

If you want to use that mail slot a lot, you could mail yourself a post card or letter and see. It would only be worthwhile if you travel to JFK often. An alternative is for you to mail something that you anticipate getting a response and can resend it.
Old Feb 17, 20, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL plt, HH dia, MR Plat, CC con, at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
There are heaps of post security USPS /FedEx/UPS drop boxes across the country. PIT has a full post office airside.
Old Feb 17, 20, 6:35 pm
nrr
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by A318neo View Post
Some are run by airport volunteers and are marked that they are not official post office boxes. It's possible that the JFK one is no longer collected. They should weld the slot shut if that's true. I wouldn't chance it.

If you want to use that mail slot a lot, you could mail yourself a post card or letter and see. It would only be worthwhile if you travel to JFK often. An alternative is for you to mail something that you anticipate getting a response and can resend it.
I was surprised to see the slot. On the day I saw the slot (it is NOT a mailbox), I was returning a NETFLIX Red Mailer envelope and needed an on street mailbox which I did find--though the JFK slot would have been more convenient...had I known it existed.
PS: Even though we all know how efficient TSA is in finding explosives, the removal of mailing drops in airports after security was to prevent a terrorist from detonating a bomb in a mailbox.
Old Feb 18, 20, 11:48 am

Last time I was in ORD, there was still an official post box near where Concourse L met the main building. According to this map, there are several more scattered around the terminals.

saunders111
Old Feb 18, 20, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There seem to be official mailboxes airside at MSP T1 and DTW (A concourse), both located near DL SCs. I don't think you can drop off a package or even large bulky envelope as these are letter slots built into the wall. I've seen them in other airports too, IIRC RDU and DCA, but I remember needing to go landside at ATL to drop off an envelope and then using FedEx. PIT has always had an actual full service post office airside, which is usually a good source for commemorative stamps.
Old Feb 18, 20, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
At LHR they have postboxes both before and after security in each terminal. However, they only accept flat letters, not packages.
Old Feb 20, 20, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAEE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, US CP (RIP)
PHL has a UPS store that handles USPS drops. They also sell stamps.

Have seen similar set ups at other airports and while after security they are usually off the beaten path near airline credit union offices or similar businesses primarily serving those who work at the airport.
Old Feb 20, 20, 3:06 pm

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by saunders111 View Post
Last time I was in ORD, there was still an official post box near where Concourse L met the main building. According to this map, there are several more scattered around the terminals.

saunders111
It was just a few years back that I was still routinely using the airside mailbox at ORD T5, but it’s been at least three years since I last used it. For a while it was a regular blue mailbox but then it was just the letter slot in the wall.

Not sure why many other US airports got rid of airside mail facilities, but obviously some managed to keep around such an option airside for many years after 9/11.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 20, 20 at 3:26 pm
Old Feb 22, 20, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
DFW has one USPS airside Mail Box per terminal. If my memory is correct, these are not free-standing box units, but just slots in the wall for letters.
Old Feb 22, 20, 8:46 pm

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
ORD T5 has a regular big blue mailbox airside.
Old Feb 26, 20, 10:45 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz, Chase Credit Cards

Moderator Note: As the discussion is on the USPS, please follow the thread as it relocates to the USA forum.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: