Wiki Posts
Search

Visit girlfriend (non US citizen) on ESTA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2020, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Visit girlfriend (non US citizen) on ESTA

Hi everyone,

I know there are a lot of questions about this but my case is a little different from the others.

I’m Alessandro, 22, from Italy. I started texting with a girl from my city a couple of months ago and we took this thing seriously. She is in the US with a J1 visa and being an au pair girl she lives with their host parents and kids etc... Now, she talked with them and they are happy to have me with them.
So I will spend two weeks there, we will also travel to Toronto for St. Valentine’s day weekend.
I am a little worried about CBP clearence.

Could I be denied enter US with these conditions? Also:

-Traveled on ESTA 2 times in last 5 years (2 weeks max)

-Bringing a promise ring in my carry on bag

-300$ cash and 200€ cash plus cards

If asked what’s the purpose of my trip I’m not going to hide anything and I’ll say “I’m visiting my girlfriend. She’s Italian and she’s here for a while”

I appreciate any suggestion and happy to hear your opinion.

Thank you so much.

Alessandro.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: CBP
You can always be denied as a visitor. And with the ESTA program, we have slightly more leeway to deny you entry, versus having an actual paper visa. That's a conversation for another time...

You need to show ties to your home country, a stable life to return to, and the financial independence to support yourself. Everyone visits their boyfriend/girlfriends in the U.S. and does just fine with us. It's the ones caught lying, or coming here to adjust status, that get in trouble. Prior travel doesn't mean much in my opinion. It means something with other Officers though. You also need to be truthful on the ESTA questions.

You need more money if all you have to your name is ~$500
Do you have a job?
Who paid for your ticket?
trooper, Alessandro97 and TWA884 like this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maninblack
You can always be denied as a visitor. And with the ESTA program, we have slightly more leeway to deny you entry, versus having an actual paper visa. That's a conversation for another time...

You need to show ties to your home country, a stable life to return to, and the financial independence to support yourself. Everyone visits their boyfriend/girlfriends in the U.S. and does just fine with us. It's the ones caught lying, or coming here to adjust status, that get in trouble. Prior travel doesn't mean much in my opinion. It means something with other Officers though. You also need to be truthful on the ESTA questions.

You need more money if all you have to your name is ~$500
Do you have a job?
Who paid for your ticket?
Thanks for your reply.
Now, 300+200 is what I am bringing cash. I have credit and debit cards with me obviously.
I paid my AR ticket and also I have a picture of last paycheck on my phone. Me and my gf both have all our relatives in Italy.
Will this be ok?
Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
If you have a stable job, have your work place print out a verification of employment letter stating how long you'll be on vacation for and that you intend to return to your job on X date.
Alessandro97 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:11 pm

I would hope the fact that she is on a J1 Visa and is NOT a citizen or permanent resident would work in your favour.... as it can be presumed (?) that she is ALSO planning to return home.....???
Alessandro97 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trooper
I would hope the fact that she is on a J1 Visa and is NOT a citizen or permanent resident would work in your favour.... as it can be presumed (?) that she is ALSO planning to return home.....???
Exactly. I’m only spending 2 weeks with her and she will come back to Italy before her visa expires. I can also prove it, if asked, with a looot of old WhatsApp messages if it could help
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by trooper
Not necessarily as many people who are considered "illegal immigrants" or undocumented immigrants in the US have become illegal immigrants by overstaying their visa. Just because she's on a visa doesn't necessarily insinuate she'll for sure go back to Italy even though there is a high probability she will.

As stated up thread, where people start running into trouble is when they enter the US through the Visa Waiver Program with the intention of doing something they're not allowed to do under the VWP. (i.e. work, study, live long term)

I'd bring copies of bank statements showing you have money or credit to support yourself, an employment varification letter, and travel plans. An officer may not ask for these things, but its better to be over prepared than under.
GUWonder and Alessandro97 like this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A big proportion of those who are irregular immigrants to the US arrived in the US with US visas.

And it’s not unknown for European au pairs in the US to not all leave back to Europe before their US visa expiration date. And some such people have their homeland significant other move over to the US too and then try to see what they can do. Even as this (not returning home and instead having homeland significant other make an irregular move to illegally remain in the US) is way less common than the aupair marrying locally in the US with a US citizen and getting status adjustments that way.

Originally Posted by Alessandro97
Hi everyone,

I know there are a lot of questions about this but my case is a little different from the others.

I’m Alessandro, 22, from Italy. I started texting with a girl from my city a couple of months ago and we took this thing seriously. She is in the US with a J1 visa and being an au pair girl she lives with their host parents and kids etc... Now, she talked with them and they are happy to have me with them.
So I will spend two weeks there, we will also travel to Toronto for St. Valentine’s day weekend.
I am a little worried about CBP clearence.

Could I be denied enter US with these conditions? Also:

-Traveled on ESTA 2 times in last 5 years (2 weeks max)

-Bringing a promise ring in my carry on bag

-300$ cash and 200€ cash plus cards

If asked what’s the purpose of my trip I’m not going to hide anything and I’ll say “I’m visiting my girlfriend. She’s Italian and she’s here for a while”

I appreciate any suggestion and happy to hear your opinion.

Thank you so much.

Alessandro.
If you are employed or in school in Italy (or the EU/EEA) and arrive at US airports of entry with a round trip ticket (taking you back to Europe in two weeks) and say (if even asked) that you are coming to the US to visit your girlfriend for two weeks while she is in the US, it should be fine. They may ask more details to try to confirm you have multiple reasons to return home and ask what your girlfriend is doing, but if you say she’s employed in the US for X-months more and have incidental proof of having ties to return home on time, then it should work out fine for your being re-admitted into the US.
freeagent and Alessandro97 like this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 29, 2020 at 6:48 pm
Old Jan 30, 2020, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your helpful opinions.
I didn't think about getting an employment verification letter from my employer and I'm already on vacation.
I'll leave on this Sunday. Other than 300$ + 300€ in cash, I'll have cards for about 2000-3000€ (Mastercard and VISA) so I have sufficient founds to support myself. Also, a picture of my last paycheck on my phone, AR ticket obviously, AR flight ticket and Hotel Reservation for Toronto and also a love letter for my gf btw that is clearly intended to be read when I'm gone.
Honestly I think this whole thing makes sense.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:09 am

Overall it sounds like you have a good amount of stuff, so if that's all you have, 9 times out of 10 it will be more than enough.

Keep the love letter and promise ring to yourself until you REAAAAALLY need to show them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.