Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Second passport inquiry

Second passport inquiry

Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Second passport inquiry

Hello,

I'm about to apply for a second passport (USA citizen, residing in US). When I've renewed my passport in the past, the old, invalidated passport is returned to me in a separate envelope at a slower speed than the new passport.

I need my original passport back for upcoming travel (cannot travel on 2nd for this trip, have visa in original).

Does anyone know if the original 10-year passport is returned via the slower method like the invalidated passports are after a normal renewal? Or is it sent expedited with the 2nd passport?

Planning to pay the $60 expedite fee, but I am still cutting it close.

Thanks!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would not count on anything.

If this is time sensitive, I would either hold off on the second passport until your return or make arrangements to handle this in person at a passport agency (depending on where you are located).
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have recent experience renewing a passport. I renewed my blue passport back in September and received the new one in about three weeks without paying the $60 fee. I received the old one back about a week later.

I know, here in DC, there are constraints on going to the passport office in terms of priorities and fees. Yes, you can generally get a passport that day if you are willing to wait literally almost all day for the largest fee. You can come back a day or two later for a lower fee.

In addition to the other advice, I would check with the nearest consulate or embassy of the country that issued you the visa. (I'm assuming it's a multi-entry visa?) Perhaps they can reissue you the visa in the new passport? Or, worst case, their immigration people may not consider a visa in an expired passport to be valid. I would do this first before doing anything with your current U.S. passport.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Dpeending on where you live, you can go in person to a passport office with details of a confirmed flight, and they will issue the second passport wither while you wait or overnight.

I did this in Los Angeles a couple of years ago, it was surprisingly painless.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tanglin
Dpeending on where you live, you can go in person to a passport office with details of a confirmed flight, and they will issue the second passport wither while you wait or overnight.

Good to hear -- the passport office in downtown Washington is exactly the opposite.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by tanglin

How can they issue one on the spot, given the biometric page needs to be specially created?

is the passport you received an ePassport?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:05 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

US Passport renewals are generally discussed in the USA forum. Please follow this thread as it moves there.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:11 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by kyanar
How can they issue one on the spot, given the biometric page needs to be specially created?

All US Regional Passport Agency locations issue the biometric e-Passports, even with same day service.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's just a question of waiting around. It can take anywhere from 2-3 hours to all day. Show up with the completed forms and the photos a bit before opening time and just wait.

OP is fine with doing this my mail with an expedite fee, so he is probably fine not insisting on same day service.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kyanar

The US Passport agency offices have the equipment/supplies to issue ordinary, standard, full-duration, same-day ePassports.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The US Passport agency offices have the equipment/supplies to issue ordinary, standard, full-duration, same-day ePassports.
At the DC office, I remember the first priority was given to people with actual emergencies where they needed to fly overseas immediately. This mostly had to do with U.S. citizens with foreign relatives who were severely ill. They went to the head of every line, and justifiably so. People like me who had to travel overseas for work on short notice were generally taken care of, but with longer timelines.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I applied for a second passport using a birth certificate. I received a letter saying they need my original passport. I called and they said I had to apply in person as it is a first second passport. This doesn't seem right. I called and they left a note for the processing center to call me back. Seems like I'm getting inconsistent information.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Go through a passport center if there's one that's somewhat convenient for you, but check whether they require advance appointments or not. Some say yes, but don't enforce it and appointment availability can vary widely.

You might be able to show your first passport at the passport agency and then keep it even if you opt to have the second one mailed to you.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 7:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by trmbn65
I applied for a second passport using a birth certificate. I received a letter saying they need my original passport. I called and they said I had to apply in person as it is a first second passport. This doesn't seem right. I called and they left a note for the processing center to call me back. Seems like I'm getting inconsistent information.
Ordinarily, State has wanted the primary passport presented and retained (by State) while processing an application for an initial, secondary US passport (with some validity period overlapping with the primary passport); and State has wanted such application submitted in person at least when not doing so. But YMMV.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 7, 2019 at 3:08 am
Old Oct 5, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Ordinarily, State has wanted the primary passport presented and retained (by State) while processing an application for an initial, secondary US passport (with some validity period overlapping with the primary passport); and State has wanted such application submitted in person.
Thanks for the replies. The processing center called me back and said I could apply by mail by sending in my original passport, or I could apply at a processing center with a birth certificate. Since I already mailed my form, I will be mailing in my passport and paying to expedite since I need to get a visa next month.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.