Worst Flight in the Country [USA]?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worst Flight in the Country [USA]?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by cmx
SEA-BWI. Departs at 10:40pm, arrives at 6:48am. 5h8m in the air.
OAK-BWI. Departs at 4:45pm, arrives at 1:00am. 5h15m in the air.
SAN-BWI. Departs at 8:59pm, arrives at 5:00am. 5h1m in the air.
#2 is not technically a redeye. A redeye is when you land after sunup and go straight to work, home, etc. without sleep.

#1 and #3 are standard redeye schedules. There must be a hundred such flights every night on all carriers except Southwest.

Spirit pitch is terrible but there are several terrible comfort options out there. The United A320 slimline seats are excruciating no matter what the pitch is.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
What's so bad about the timing on the 4.45pm out of OAK?

A few weeks back I took the 5pm LAX-JFK that offer which got into a deserted JFK at about 12.45am. Admittedly it wasn't Spirit (and I was in F!) but what's so awful about that time unless you got to bed at 10pm normally or something similar?

I'd done worse redeyes...DL PHX-ATL that leaves at about 1am and landed at about 5.15am, one hour connection for a flight to VA and then off to work comes to mind.

I've never flown Spirit (and don't plan on doing so) but other than their aforementioned clientele what's so bad about them once in the air? Surely it's the same crappy Y seat as DL, AA, WN, UA etc.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BearX220
Spirit pitch is terrible but there are several terrible comfort options out there. The United A320 slimline seats are excruciating no matter what the pitch is.
Originally Posted by Fraser
Surely it's the same crappy Y seat as DL, AA, WN, UA etc.
It's worse. Way worse. 28" to be exact. That's at least two inches worse than any other crappy Y product commonly found in America.

I've flown it ONCE in the back: it's worse than any other ULCC I've flown anywhere in the world. It's worse than America West of the 1990s. Worse than Ryanair. Way worse than Allegiant, which was surprisingly 31" or so the one time I flew them to Florida with all the poodles.

I *have* flown Spirit a couple more times when I had the front seats. If you hold no Delta elite status and need to get to Detroit, Spirit becomes a necessary evil. But I only do that about once a year, and only when I know the front seat is available before I walk up to the counter to buy the ticket.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by pinniped
It's worse. Way worse. 28" to be exact. That's at least two inches worse than any other crappy Y product commonly found in America.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by cmx
OAK-BWI. Departs at 4:45pm, arrives at 1:00am.
Anyone who flies to the Middle East is quite used to this routine. Prime time at some of those airports seems to be 1:00 am to 5:00 am, arriving and departing. Even LH's FRA to LCA flight is 10:00 pm to 2:35 am.

For me, departures from 3:00 am to 4:30 am are the toughest. Not really particular about when I arrive, presuming I don't have to work the next day. I'll just jump in a taxi and head to a hotel.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by pinniped

I've flown it ONCE in the back: it's worse than any other ULCC I've flown anywhere in the world. It's worse than America West of the 1990s. Worse than Ryanair. Way worse than Allegiant, which was surprisingly 31" or so the one time I flew them to Florida with all the poodles.

I *have* flown Spirit a couple more times when I had the front seats. If you hold no Delta elite status and need to get to Detroit, Spirit becomes a necessary evil. But I only do that about once a year, and only when I know the front seat is available before I walk up to the counter to buy the ticket.
Never flown Spirit, but my definition of seat pitch hell is Vueling. Will have to see how they compare
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I did LAS-ORD red eye on an American mAAd dog. Every mile was painful.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Never flown Spirit, but my definition of seat pitch hell is Vueling. Will have to see how they compare
Oh goodie goodie, I'm flying them JTR - FCO in a few weeks
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Guys, you have no idea... think about 7h flights from Singapore to Australia via Jetstar or the same length from KL to Tokyo via AirAsia.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
29" in what I'd consider a near-long-haul distance on an A321 with 220 people might win this thread.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:58 am
Formerly known as caveruner17

NK970 : DEN-FLL - 11:40PM (MT) - 5:26AM (ET) (Scheduled). Usually a 3:30-3:45 flight.

Brutal.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:28 am

So this is beginning to beg the obvious question: what's the longest flight in the Spirit system?

FLL-LIM?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:32 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by sethweinstein
Is #2 technically a redeye? Arriving at 1am I'd go to a hotel (or home) and go to sleep...

The 1am arrival would be the worst of the three, in my opinion, but more because it cuts too much into the day of departure, not (necessarily) because the arrival time is so awful.
Yeah, #2 is not a redeye.

Also everyone appears to be forgetting that 1am in BWI is only 10pm in OAK.

If your body clock is on OAK time, then arriving at 1am in BWI isn't bad at all.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Sprint? Give me a break, you guys have no idea.... Read this

Spring Airlines is seeking approvals for 24 inch-pitch standing seats from aviation authorities
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Sprint? Give me a break, you guys have no idea.... Read this
Until that actually happens (i.e. maybe never), Spring will continue to be significantly more tolerable than Spirit. I shall also note that their frontline staff is almost universally awesome. That having been said, if this thread wasn't limited to flights within the USA, I would definitely nominate 9C's red eyes between SE Asia and Shanghai.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.