Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2020, 6:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The publicly announced backlog in passport applications was showing yesterday as being a bit over 1.3M. In other words, the rate of the 7-day bite into the running backlog was a bit over 100k even as passport issuance volume for the period was closer to double the rate of the prior few 7 day period. If the coronavirus surge in the US doesn’t put a halt to this kind of eating into passport issuance volumes, then a lot of the March application people should be good to go with passports within weeks at most.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 7:59 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
that is encouraging. But I am not holding my breath. I will most likely rely on the "return on an expired passport" tactic for hoped for holiday travel.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
My wife submitted her renewal by mail on 3/15. This week she received “Approved” and “Shipped” emails with an expected delivery date of 7/23 - and it actually came today (7/18).

Mine, submitted at the local post office just after that still shows “In Process”.

Last edited by LAX2Anywhere; Jul 18, 2020 at 5:00 pm Reason: New info
Old Jul 20, 2020, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Section 107
that is encouraging. But I am not holding my breath. I will most likely rely on the "return on an expired passport" tactic for hoped for holiday travel.
so what are current considerations for such? i can imagine talking my way through CBP with some interview etc delays but would an airline allow one to board a flight back to US with expired passport?
Old Jul 20, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
well, that's a good question; I hadn't thought about that - would be quite a problem if they won't. Instead of taking chances with the airline and since the boys don't have passport cards, I guess the best tactic will be to apply for renewal passport at the embassy soon after getting in-country.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 11:05 pm

Renewal, routine service, express return.

Mar 6: mailed to Philadelphia processing center via Priority Mail 2-Day
Mar 9: delivered to passport processing center
Mar 11: check cleared bank via ACH, status “In Progress”
July 7: status changed to “Shipped”, passport shipped Priority Mail Express 2-Day from Hot Springs, AR, estimated delivery July 11
July 8: received passport!
July 11: received passport card via first-class mail
July 20: received old passport and passport card via first-class mail

Funny thing is I received a status update email on July 7 at 3:47 pm saying that my application status was Shipped. Almost 10 hours later, at 1:30 am on July 8, I received another email saying that the status was Approved. (Oh, good! )
BillyBaht likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 2:55 am

They return your old passport card too? Do they punch a hole in it?
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The publicly reported application backlog is still at 1.23 million. The week prior the reported backlog was 1.31 million. The number of issued passports for the period plummeted down by a large five figure amount while the newly received application count increased by a relatively low five figure amount.

This should mean that most of March applications are done at this point.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
This should mean that most of March applications are done at this point.
I do hope so, 17 weeks is a long time to wait (March 23rd) when you want to take the first flight out.

Strange that passports processed are down 76k this week. Offices going back to Stage 1 perhaps?
Old Jul 23, 2020, 9:44 am

Does anyone know why they processed fewer passports this week than last week?

Last week, they processed 274000 passports. This week, the number went down to 198000 passports. This is a significant drop, although it is still fortunately more than what was issued the prior week.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by guflyer
Does anyone know why they processed fewer passports this week than last week?

Last week, they processed 274000 passports. This week, the number went down to 198000 passports. This is a significant drop, although it is still fortunately more than what was issued the prior week.
I think it is down to some offices going a step back lockdown wise. The week before was due to the holiday. "Passports issued July 2-8 were lower than the previous weeks because of the July 4th federal holiday."

I was hoping to see another 250k+ processed this week.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Prince Keldar
I think it is down to some offices going a step back lockdown wise. The week before was due to the holiday. "Passports issued July 2-8 were lower than the previous weeks because of the July 4th federal holiday."

I was hoping to see another 250k+ processed this week.
I was hoping for this as well and find this really concerning. The number of passport centers on phase one and phase two listed on the page seems to be the same as last week (I was not able to find an archive of the page to check) and the list of passport centers on those phases looks the same as it did previously. I wonder if these listings are out of date? I appreciate your insight regarding this. I just wish that they found a way to keep passport offices completely open as this is a really essential service.

I am hoping and praying that they will get through the passports quickly. It is very frustrating as it seems that so little can be done regarding this and as though many people waiting for passports are in such a helpless position.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Prince Keldar
I do hope so, 17 weeks is a long time to wait (March 23rd) when you want to take the first flight out.

Strange that passports processed are down 76k this week. Offices going back to Stage 1 perhaps?
Naw, processors had to take some summer vacation.

David
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Naw, processors had to take some summer vacation.

David
Thank you very much for your response. This gives me a lot of hope.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 3:56 pm

Here are the latest stats anyway save interested people looking them up:

Mr. BoH likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.