Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2024, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by bitburgr
New passport application (to replace my long expired previous passport)

1/31/24: went to my appointment at my local post office. was told it could take up to 3 months.
3/1/24: got my new passport

ETA: routine service. No expedited mail in either direction.
By "long expired" do you mean it expired more than five years ago? Or more properly, was it issued more than 15 years ago?
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:35 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Holy cow, my wife's timeline for her renewal with routine service:

3/11: Application sent with priority mail.
3/13: USPS says it's delivered.
3/15: Status website has application "In Process"; check cashed.
3/26: Informed delivery has a package coming from DOS in Hot Springs, AR.
3/28: Expected delivery.

That puts routine service at 17 days door-to-door - including coast-to-coast shipping. Color me impressed, especially after that train wreck my application went through last year with the online renewal system.

I would highly encourage anyone with a passport expiring within the next year or so to get it renewed now. They clearly have the staff and capacity to turn applications around quickly.
SanDiego1K and northinsouth like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sullim4
Holy cow, my wife's timeline for her renewal with routine service:

3/11: Application sent with priority mail.
3/13: USPS says it's delivered.
3/15: Status website has application "In Process"; check cashed.
3/26: Informed delivery has a package coming from DOS in Hot Springs, AR.
3/28: Expected delivery.

That puts routine service at 17 days door-to-door - including coast-to-coast shipping. Color me impressed, especially after that train wreck my application went through last year with the online renewal system.

I would highly encourage anyone with a passport expiring within the next year or so to get it renewed now. They clearly have the staff and capacity to turn applications around quickly.
Glad you got such speedy service. But given that there are posts before you with people sending passports in February and have not received a replacement, not sure we can jump to the conclusion that that everyone is going to get super fast service.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:15 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Glad you got such speedy service. But given that there are posts before you with people sending passports in February and have not received a replacement, not sure we can jump to the conclusion that that everyone is going to get super fast service.
Certainly true. Although I would say that everyone's application is different and at least as I understand the system, a host of circumstances could lengthen processing time. Things like someone else with the same name showing up on the IRS' list of seriously delinquent taxpayers would be one example. From the online system's data last year, we know they pull Lexis Nexis data on applicants and perhaps there are flags in those files that trigger further review. It wouldn't surprise me if certain applications get set aside for investigation or disambiguation and that might be a factor in processing time.

As it stands, there are enough data points here and elsewhere in the last few months that at least make me think if your application is straightforward, you stand a very strong chance of getting it turned around quickly. It is nothing like the 14 weeks it took for my application a year ago. Then again, I have a fairly common name, so perhaps I fell into one of the buckets above.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, CX MPC SL, HHonors Diamond
Now waiting eagerly. Second passport renewal application (I had a second passport previously already, expiring end of this year). Had to submit supporting documents in application.
Still a fast turnaround, with expedited and 1-2 day shipping (fastest everything that they offer)

3/18 Sent by Priority Mail Express from NYC
3/20 Picked up in Philadelphia
3/22 Check Cashed
3/27 See in informed delivery shipment from DOS in Tucson AZ waiting to ship

Website however to track has never shown in process, just not available.

Hopefully comes soon! Definitely has beaten the 2-3 weeks that they list on the website if ships quickly and no delays. Will report back
Old Mar 29, 2024, 3:59 pm

Programs: All of them!
2/14/24 Sent from VT priority
2/20/24 accepted at Passport office
3/28/24 approved
3/29/24 in mailbox (priority mail)
used passport status tool to keep progress on it. No email notification of application progress sent although requested.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 10:24 pm

Arrow

Originally Posted by crescatfloreat
Another renewal. Will update as things happen.
Regular adult renewal by mail, for a large passport book.

• Sunday Feb 25 application sent by normal tracked mail from Illinois to Irving, Texas.
  • Tuesday Feb 27 USPS reports mail delivered. (Quite good for USPS Ground Advantage™.)
  • Online status:
Application Status: In Process
The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 02/29/2024. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents. Etc.
  • TBD new passport delivered.
  • TBD received old passport back.
Checking the website just a few minutes earlier I was surprised to read the following: "Application Status: Supporting Documents Mailed
We sent your supporting documents via First Class Mail on 03/25/2024 to the mailing address you provided on your application."
Needless to say, not a single status update email was received despite requesting them.
In the much-neglected mailbox, the passport sat in an envelope mailed from HOT SPRINGS NATIONAL PARK, AR, along with a supporting documents envelope, postmarked March 27th.

According to the USPS tracking tool, the new passport was delivered on March 23rd. Date of issue is March 20th.

The end.

Last edited by crescatfloreat; Mar 31, 2024 at 3:43 pm
Old Apr 4, 2024, 11:18 am

Another data point. I used the slowest possible method -- untracked mail, not expedited.

6 March 2024 - Mailed from Seattle area to Philadelphia
18 March 2024 - check cleared
22 March 2024 - "in process" on the website
29 March 2024 - "approved"
2 April 2024 - passport received; "supporting documents mailed"
pudgym29 and gaobest like this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 2:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Nexus, VIA Rail Premier
Applying from Toronto via US Consulate. regular Delivery

Mailed application March 12
Received at consulate March 18
Passport showing as shipped via status checker March 27.
Received at Canadian address today April 5

Total time, 24 days. Not bad for regular service in a foreign country!
SPN Lifer and Section 107 like this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Renewal from the CNMI, USA (in the Western Pacific)

My adult son renewed his passport by mail.

Wed., 27 Feb: Sent via USPS on Saipan.
Wed., 13 Mar: ACH debit from TX.
Fri., 5 Apr: USPS Informed Delivery notice and tracking number, shipment from Tucson, AZ Distribution Center.
Mon., 8 Apr: Passport received in P.O. Box.
​​​​​​​
Old Apr 9, 2024, 12:31 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
After we returned from Venice we mailed our passports the next day:

March 22 paid for expedited service, flat rate envelope for both.
March 27 check cashed
April 1 passports issued
April 4 passports arrived separately in flat rate envelopes!
13 days turnaround time!!!😌
SPN Lifer and friedablass like this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 5:54 pm

Routine passport processing took about a month door-to-door for me:
March 7 shipped Ground Advantage
March 10 showed arrived in tracking
March 13 check cleared
April 3 passport book/card issued
April 5 passport book arrived
April 9 old passport arrived
April 13 passport card arrived

Overall a pretty good turnaround for routine processing.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 10:25 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
I'll add a data point:

April 6th: Sent my application for expedited renewal via priority mail
4/9 USPS Tracking shows delivered in Philly
4/10 Passport status site shows my application was received and under review
4/17 Status is "approved"
4/19 New passport received via priority mail. Passport status still shows as "approved". So just under 2 weeks from when I mailed the application.

I requested email updates of renewal status but never received any.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Moebius
Another data point. I used the slowest possible method -- untracked mail, not expedited.

6 March 2024 - Mailed from Seattle area to Philadelphia
18 March 2024 - check cleared
22 March 2024 - "in process" on the website
29 March 2024 - "approved"
2 April 2024 - passport received; "supporting documents mailed"
I think I beat you on slowest possible method, since I didn't list any upcoming travel either. Adult renewal:

7 March 2024 - Mailed to Philadelphia via first class mail (just 2 stamps!)
13 March 2024 - check cleared
14 March 2024 - "in process" on the website, locator 45
18 April 2024 - "approved"
19 April 2024- Passport mailed from Tucson via USPS Priority Mail
22 April 2024 - passport received

So 6.5 weeks total including time in transit to Philly, very reasonable to me.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 12:15 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Smile Update on GE

Originally Posted by mmack
After we returned from Venice we mailed our passports the next day:

March 22 paid for expedited service, flat rate envelope for both.
March 27 check cashed
April 1 passports issued
April 4 passports arrived separately in flat rate envelopes!
13 days turnaround time!!!😌
An update: I had to renew my Global Entry, which expired end of September 2024.
On line renewal 4/11/2024, paid $100 CC
Received email "status has changed" 4/20/2024. Logged into website: Global Entry approved and now expires September 2029!

Still waiting for our old passports to arrive...we keep them for sentimental reasons

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.