Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2021, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by twindaddy
Still have not received my wife's passport. App put in the mailbox same day as mine, my was received October 11th. Based on the website saying they are now processing 8-11 weeks from mailing, we are past those guidelines since I sent mine the first week in August. Filed out the request for assistance form and privacy release for one of our Senators for Washington State, Maria Cantwell today.

More data points to come, but the main take away here is that depending on where your application ends up, your results can vary WIDELY.
Final Data point for twinwife.

Mailed August 6th, same time as mine (separate envelope). Mine received early October.
August 23rd: Checked cashed and in process. New Hampshire Locator Code
November 4th: Emailed assistance form to Senators Maria Cantwell's office. Never heard back from them but it might have helped because....
November 8th: Passport Printing. Never budged from that status.
November 10th: Passport received, old style, mailed from Hot Springs National Park. Printing office is clearly different than processing office. Still shows as "printing" in online status.

Never got one email update
Old Nov 12, 2021, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Another data point for a large book, renewal using standard processing:

Sent via USPS Priority Mail 10/14 to Philadelphia.
Received old style book from Boston on 11/12.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by tlvslr
Folks, how long does it get the old passport and birth certificate back? I received the new passport on 10/31. Thanks!
Received old passport and birth certificate on 11/12.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Data point

Expedited renewal by mail:
10/18: mailed priority to philadelphia
10/21: received in Philadelphia
10/22: in process with locator 34 (Charleston)
11/16: approved and mailed from Tucson
11/17: next generation passport received
passport card and expired passport still to come
Old Nov 19, 2021, 4:46 pm

For a minor with expedited processing (update):

Applied - 10/13/21 in SoCal
Accepted - 10/19/21 - check cashed, in Atlanta (74)
Approved - 11/19/21

Expected delivery by 11/22 by express mail from Tucson… showed up on my informed delivery today.

Last edited by ehchan; Nov 22, 2021 at 12:44 am
Old Nov 20, 2021, 7:00 pm

Programs: CSR, SW CP.
Just another DP for a standard renewal with regular processing in NY.
Sent in 10/15. Accepted 10/20. approved 11/16, received on 11/20.

Opted for the larger book and got a next gen style passport. They worked damn quick. Now to find a cheap AC flight to complete my status match.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Two references: Adult/Renewal and Child/Renew as a Required New Application

Myself: DS82 - Renewal by mail - expedited mailing to Passport Processing and Paid for Expedited processing and return
October 4th: Applied and send via Express Mail to Natl Processing Center in Philadelphia
October 8th: Accepted and Check Funds Taken
November 2nd: Approved
November 4th: Received via USPS Priority Mail Express 1-Day (From Little Rock) Got a standard legacy style passport (was extended pages)
November 12th: Received Old Passport via First Class Mail (From New Hampshire)
~ 4 WEEKS FROM ACCEPTANCE

Younger Kid: DS-11 - Renewal but requires a full application - NO expedite out, or processing or for return mailing
October 13th: Applied at USPS Location in So Cal
October 18th: Accepted and Check Funds Taken
November 16th: Approved
November 22nd: Received from USPS Priority Mail (Did not pay extra for this) (from Tuscon, AZ) Got a new polycarbonate passport
~5 WEEKS FROM ACCEPTANCE

Seems DS-11's are getting processed quicker - 5 weeks even with NO expediting at all. Likely the backlog on renewals is worse.

Also, noticed that mailing status for expedited ONLY SHOWS for ~ 2 days then it goes back to the "Approved" Status, seems like a bug in how State Dept tracks status. Also never got signed up emails for both passports.

Last edited by NickP 1K; Nov 22, 2021 at 7:42 pm
Old Nov 22, 2021, 11:31 am

Hah, we applied at the same time, from So Cal, and your regular processing was the same as my kid's expedite.
NickP 1K likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 5:00 pm

Another DP expedited

11/5/21 submitted adult expedited large passport book application plus card and sent priority express
11/6/21 received in Philly
11/8/21 in process and check cashed the following day. Location 34 for Charleston SC
11/23/21 Approved in the morning and then changed to shipped in the evening with a priority express 1 day tracking number and per USPS should receive it on 11/24/21. I can see it’s being shipped from Tucson Az so hopefully it’s the large next gen passport.
11/24/21 received large next generation passport; now waiting for passport card and old passport.

Last edited by Rangermia; Nov 24, 2021 at 9:29 pm
Old Nov 24, 2021, 12:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Any recent experience on how long it takes for the Global Entry site to recognize the new passport number? It's been 30 days since the passport was issued and still not recognized as valid when I attempt to update.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 1:14 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by cjw2001
Any recent experience on how long it takes for the Global Entry site to recognize the new passport number? It's been 30 days since the passport was issued and still not recognized as valid when I attempt to update.
Please refer to the following thread in the Trusted Travelers forum:
Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Planning to renew my passport in mid December. Want to travel in mid Feb (have GE). I live in NJ near Philly.

Am I reading correctly, that it's taking about the same amount of time for routine vs expedited?
Wondering if it is worth paying for expedited or even faster shipping (note sure where it will be mailed out from)

Haven't decided on standard or large book either (take 4 trips a year, very rarely need full page visas). However from reading, it doesn't seem to matter either.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by eng3
Planning to renew my passport in mid December. Want to travel in mid Feb (have GE). I live in NJ near Philly.

Am I reading correctly, that it's taking about the same amount of time for routine vs expedited?
Wondering if it is worth paying for expedited or even faster shipping (note sure where it will be mailed out from)

Haven't decided on standard or large book either (take 4 trips a year, very rarely need full page visas). However from reading, it doesn't seem to matter either.
The comparison I had was an expedited RENEWAL vs a standard FULL APPLICATION (which you have to do for an under 16 year old). Seems full applications are not as slow on processing vs renewals (likely a larger number of renewals vs full applications and from what I heard different teams in State/Passport Office work on different application types). I would assume if you get it in as soon as possible with a standard renewal you would get it back by end of Jan. Again it's subject to change. Any reason you can't get in this next week just to shave another two weeks off?
Old Nov 26, 2021, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
The comparison I had was an expedited RENEWAL vs a standard FULL APPLICATION (which you have to do for an under 16 year old). Seems full applications are not as slow on processing vs renewals (likely a larger number of renewals vs full applications and from what I heard different teams in State/Passport Office work on different application types). I would assume if you get it in as soon as possible with a standard renewal you would get it back by end of Jan. Again it's subject to change. Any reason you can't get in this next week just to shave another two weeks off?
Need to use my current passport in the next two weeks.
After that, it's free to send off
NickP 1K likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 9:04 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by eng3

My renewal using normal mail and no expedite took about 30 days. The new passport was sent by priority mail. In my opinion it isn't worth paying for expedited but your experience may vary. I'd just do it sooner rather than later so you have some extra buffer time before your travel.

Also don't be surprised if you can't update your new passport info on the global entry site right away. From what I've researched it can take 30 to 45 days before it will recognize your new passport number. It's been about 30 days since I got my new passport and I haven't been able to update yet. From what I've read your new passport will still work for GE even if not yet updated on their web site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.