Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2017, 10:25 pm

10/14, applied my son first passport at a USPS
10/18, check was cleared
10/21, received email notification that passport was being sent out, eta 10/28
10/25, received passport in mail (from AZ)
10/27, received supporting doc back.

* applied for routine passport, very impressed that how fast they processed the passport.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:00 pm

Passport Questions

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this expedited passport question. I applied on November 21st and need it at the absolute latest December 13th. (I fly out the 14th). That leaves me 22 days from when I applied. I purchased a expedited passport plus paid for it to overnight ship, so it got to Philadelphia on November 22nd. Will I be ok on time?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by nnewgaard0737
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this expedited passport question. I applied on November 21st and need it at the absolute latest December 13th. (I fly out the 14th). That leaves me 22 days from when I applied. I purchased a expedited passport plus paid for it to overnight ship, so it got to Philadelphia on November 22nd. Will I be ok on time?
Probably. I sent mine in for routine service a week before you and today got the email that it'll be delivered next week.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
My recent data point:

11/27 – mailed to Philadelphia Priority mail with tracking
11/29 – delivered at 5AM
12/1 – Check for fees cashed
12/6 - Early AM– Email received – processing application, locator number issued
12/6 - Late PM – Email received – Processing finished, overnight delivery notated, should receive on or about 12/9
12/7 – Received new passport by Noon

Very impressed. With regular / routine processing and paying for Next-Day return, I received my new passport in 10 days!

When I initially tracked its progress and saw the boilerplate (4-6 weeks), I was actually worried a bit about travel for New Years.
Very happy today.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:06 pm

My expedited adult renewal -

11/21 - Submitted with expedited fees at Chicago Loop post office
11/25 - Arrived in Philadelphia
11/27 - Email saying it was in progress
11/30 - Email saying passport was printed and was being mailed and expected delivery was 12/2 - GOT HOME AND IT WAS ALREADY THERE. HA.

Child's passport book and card (not expedited, no overnight mail)

11/24 - Submitted at Chicago Loop post office
11/28 - Email saying it was in progress
12/5 - Email saying passport was printed and mailed and expected delivery was 12/11
12/7 - Delivered today

So... probably should have saved my expediting $$$$.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:25 pm

11/16 - Mailed to Irving for routine processing
11/18 - Renewal application delivered
11/21 - Check cashed
12/2 - New passport delivered
12/7 - Old passport returned

Last edited by venomtrilogy; Dec 10, 2017 at 4:28 pm
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by goodeats21
My recent data point:

11/27 – mailed to Philadelphia Priority mail with tracking
11/29 – delivered at 5AM
12/1 – Check for fees cashed
12/6 - Early AM– Email received – processing application, locator number issued
12/6 - Late PM – Email received – Processing finished, overnight delivery notated, should receive on or about 12/9
12/7 – Received new passport by Noon

Very impressed. With regular / routine processing and paying for Next-Day return, I received my new passport in 10 days!

When I initially tracked its progress and saw the boilerplate (4-6 weeks), I was actually worried a bit about travel for New Years.
Very happy today.
Well, now I am less impressed and happy.

After getting some time to actually look at the passport, seems like they didn't give me the extra pages I asked for.
I had to send my last passport in for extra pages to be added, and I don't think they do that anymore.

Looks like this is now going to last about 5 years and going to cost $$ to get a new one early.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:40 pm

Curious what you guys think of my situation.

I live in Philadelphia, PA and my case is being handled by the Philadelphia Passport Agency a mile from where I live.

I went into a post office on Monday, December 4th in the late evening to renew my adult passport in person (routine processing/non-overnight mail).

On Wednesday December 6th, they deducted the fees from my Checking and sent me email with locator number saying it's in process.

When can I expect my passport back? I'm traveling the days after Christmas abroad and scared it won't make it in time.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iexpert
Curious what you guys think of my situation.

I live in Philadelphia, PA and my case is being handled by the Philadelphia Passport Agency a mile from where I live.

I went into a post office on Monday, December 4th in the late evening to renew my adult passport in person (routine processing/non-overnight mail).

On Wednesday December 6th, they deducted the fees from my Checking and sent me email with locator number saying it's in process.

When can I expect my passport back? I'm traveling the days after Christmas abroad and scared it won't make it in time.
If you take a look at the post directly above yours, you will see my very recent experience.
I received my passport 6 days after the check was cashed, but that was using overnight mail to Ohio. It was routine processing though.

You should be receiving an email in a couple days showing your renewal is being processed. I think you will be OK, but if you don't have the passport (or at least an indication it was mailed back to you) by 2 weeks prior to your travel, there is a mechanism to call the passport agency and get expedited.

Bottom line, I wouldn't be overly concerned, though you did cut it a little close.

Good luck.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
If you take a look at the post directly above yours, you will see my very recent experience.
I received my passport 6 days after the check was cashed, but that was using overnight mail to Ohio. It was routine processing though.

You should be receiving an email in a couple days showing your renewal is being processed. I think you will be OK, but if you don't have the passport (or at least an indication it was mailed back to you) by 2 weeks prior to your travel, there is a mechanism to call the passport agency and get expedited.

Bottom line, I wouldn't be overly concerned, though you did cut it a little close.

Good luck.
Haven't heard anything since I got the email on December 7th/check was cashed that day.

Been stuck in processing.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:53 pm

It's only been a few business days, give it some time
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Here is another data point:

12/6/17 - walked into local post office in MD for passport application - expedited application with passport and passport card
12/11/17 - Received email with passport record locator
12/13/17 - Received another email with USPS tracking number with an expected delivery of 12/19
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:36 pm

My datapoints for Philadelphia passport agency (mailing from Tucson AZ)

12/4 Late Evening - Adult renewal at Post office (routine/non-overnight)
12/6 - Check cashed
12/7 Early AM - Locator number email issued
12/13 - Passport Issued
12/14 Late PM - Tracking number available
12/15 Late PM - Mailed from Tucson AZ
12/18 - Delivered

Overall 14 days from start to finish

Last edited by iexpert; Dec 20, 2017 at 3:25 pm
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
In progress

Routine/ Passport book & card/ Renewal/ Name Change w/ marriage certificate

12/18/2017 12:45PM NYC -> Irving, TX. USPS Priority Mail. Expected arrival 12/21
12/22/2017 USPS says they can't find it.
12/26/2017 USPS asks for patience as their system is overloaded at the moment.
12/27/2017 Arrived in Irving, TX
12/28/2017 Check cashed, tracking # received at 12:50AM
1/2/2018 finished processing at 8:50pm
1/3/2018 sent out via USPS priority at 12:55am
1/3/2018 evening - receive a message saying that it's expected to be delivered on 1/10
1/4/2018 early morning - USPS shows Saturday 1/6 delivery but it's snowing like crazy.

Last edited by IIIIIIIIIIllllllllll; Jan 3, 2018 at 10:23 pm
Old Dec 20, 2017, 5:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Straight forward renewal:
Application mailed: 1 DEC Priority Mail to IRVING TX
Delivered: 5 DEC
Fee debited: 7 DEC
Passport issued: 16 DEC
Passport tendered to USPS: 18 DEC Priority Mail from LITTLE ROCK AR
Passport received: 20 DEC
Supporting documents returned: 22 DEC

Last edited by seawolf; Dec 22, 2017 at 7:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.