Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I got my 5 year olds first renewal done this month. Had to go through the nearest county court office to drop it off.

Applied: Dec 7
Received passport: Dec 18
Received passport card and old passport: Dec 19

They still quote 4-6 weeks on the paperwork, but certainly no reason to go expedited for us.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
My passport got stolen and I needed to travel within the week so they sent me to the SF passport agency.

Appointment next day. Computers were down they did everything with clipboards and by manual review. They said they couldn't do same day unfortunately.

Since I was flying elsewhere next day they Express mailed it next day and I got it the third day.

Not bad.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
My record is 2 hours.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I got my 5 year olds first renewal done this month. Had to go through the nearest county court office to drop it off.

Applied: Dec 7
Received passport: Dec 18
Received passport card and old passport: Dec 19

They still quote 4-6 weeks on the paperwork, but certainly no reason to go expedited for us.

A little off topic but has anyone had issues with their photo being denied? This is what I'm a little paranoid about. I went to a place that specialized in passport photos and they turned my skin orange yellow so I quickly went over to CVS and I'm hoping that this photo is acceptable. All she asked me do was put my hair behind my ears and not smile.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by gallivantinginseattle
A little off topic but has anyone had issues with their photo being denied? This is what I'm a little paranoid about. I went to a place that specialized in passport photos and they turned my skin orange yellow so I quickly went over to CVS and I'm hoping that this photo is acceptable. All she asked me do was put my hair behind my ears and not smile.
I usually get my passport photos in the US done at Costco and have never had any rejected.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
Originally Posted by gallivantinginseattle
I got mine from Walgreens and their sample pic already has a big shadow in the background which would DQ your application haha

https://prd-sf-cdn.wag-static.com/re...o_2004x616.jpg
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Many photos are rejected, but that is usually because they do not comply with the very specific requirements imposed by the State Department. Just review the photos carefully before walking away with them. Not every store clerk who knows how to push a button, is particularly well-trained and many simply don't care.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I had mine snapped at the USPS. I had to be there anyway to send out the package.

There was a sign in the room saying that USPS photos are "guaranteed" to be accepted, but I couldn't find anything on-line to confirm.
Not like they are stamped USPS or anything, so I have my doubts...
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I had mine snapped at the USPS. I had to be there anyway to send out the package.

There was a sign in the room saying that USPS photos are "guaranteed" to be accepted, but I couldn't find anything on-line to confirm.
Not like they are stamped USPS or anything, so I have my doubts...
their guarantee means that they will retake it for free
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by IIIIIIIIIIllllllllll

their guarantee means that they will retake it for free
Well, that really isn't worth much. LOL
Thankfully, I didn't have any issues.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
When I went to the Connecticut Passport Agency, a quite clever fella had set up a passport photo shop just adjacent. That guy was busy as all get out.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:06 am

Update: My passport wait time

12/22 dropped off at USPS
12/24 delivered to passport agency12/27 received email saying it's processing
1/2 received email that it's being printed and that I should receive it by 1/8

Super impressed, especially since I sent it out around the holidays.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by IIIIIIIIIIllllllllll

Routine/ Passport book & card/ Renewal/ Name Change w/ marriage certificate

12/18/2017 12:45PM NYC -> Irving, TX. USPS Priority Mail. Expected arrival 12/21
12/22/2017 USPS says they can't find it.
12/26/2017 USPS asks for patience as their system is overloaded at the moment.
12/27/2017 Arrived in Irving, TX
12/28/2017 Check cashed, tracking # received at 12:50AM
1/2/2018 finished processing at 8:50pm
1/3/2018 sent out via USPS priority at 12:55am
1/3/2018 evening - receive a message saying that it's expected to be delivered on 1/10
1/4/2018 early morning - USPS shows Saturday 1/6 delivery but it's snowing like crazy.

1/6/2018 USPS says they are unable to locate the package due to snow
1/8/2018 Passport card received (why couldn't they just send the passport using the First Class Mail? lol)

Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Rental Exec. Elite
Renewal of US passport with routine non-expedited service/processing

Timeline Summary
• Mailed application: 20 December 2017
• Application received: 23 December 2017
• Application processing started: 27 December 2017
• Application processed and passport printed: 2 January 2018
• Passport book sent: 3 January 2018
• Passport card received: 8 January 2018
• Passport book received: 11 January 2018
• Old passport book received: 11 January 2018

Total business days for processing (excluding shipping to/from): 6
Total calendar days for processing (including two federal holidays, excluding shipping to/from): 11

Total business days, including shipping: 14
Total calendar days; including shipping (and including two federal holidays): 22

Detailed Timeline
Wednesday, 20 December 2017: Mailed renewal application via USPS Priority Mail to National Passport Center in Philadelphia, PA
• Saturday, 23 December 2017: USPS delivers application to post office box in Philadelphia, PA
• Tuesday, 26 December 2017 (late evening): Application fee check submitted for payment to my bank
Wednesday, 27 December 2017 (late evening): Status email acknowledges receipt of application and states that my application is being processed
Tuesday, 2 January 2018 (late evening): Status email states that my passport has been printed and that I should expect delivery on 8 January 2018.
• Tuesday, 2 January 2018 (late evening, two hours after previous update): Status email states that my passport book is being mailed via USPS Priority Mail and provides the tracking number (which is not yet available in the USPS tracking system) with expected delivery on 8 January 2018.
• Wednesday, 3 January 2018 (early morning, two hours after previous update): Status email states again that my passport book is being mailed via USPS Priority Mail and provides the tracking number, this time with a direct hyperlink for tracking (which is still not available in the USPS tracking system). Expected delivery date is updated to 9 January 2018.
Wednesday, 3 January 2018 (evening): USPS tracking updates to reflect receipt from Arkansas Passport Center with expected delivery date of 6 January 2018. It leaves the local AR post office and later leaves the regional Little Rock, AR postal distribution facility the same night.
• Thursday, 4 January 2018 (all-day): There is a big snowstorm that dumps over a foot of snow in the Boston area (where I live) and causes some of the worst flooding since the Blizzard of '78. I mention this because it is the likely culprit for the USPS delays that follow.
• Saturday, 6 January 2018: This is the expected delivery date, but there hasn't been an actual scan since 3 January 2018...there have only been auto-generated "in transit to destination" messages since it left AR. The day comes and goes without any actual updates or delivery.
Monday, 8 January 2018: I receive my new US passport card in the mail, sent via regular First Class Mail. Still no updates from USPS on my passport book package, except that the expected delivery date has changed to "unknown."
• Wednesday, 10 January 2018 (morning): Passport book package finally arrives at regional Boston postal distribution facility. There is still no updated delivery date, but USPS tracking now notes that delivery has indeed been delayed.
• Wednesday, 10 January 2018 (late morning): USPS updates expected delivery date to 11 January 2018, and package makes it to my local post office.
Thursday, 11 January 2018 (afternoon): USPS delivers new 52-page passport book. They also deliver my old passport book, sent in a separate mailing via First Class Mail.

Cost
Total: $151.65

• U.S. Department of State: $140 = $110 for passport book renewal + $30 passport card
• U.S. Postal Service: $6.65 for Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope postage (included tracking and $50 insurance)
• Costco: $5 + tax for four passport photos

Photos
I got my passport photos taken at my local Costco for $5 + tax (membership required). They had a white projector screen pull-down as a backdrop. The employee working the photo processing desk took the photo with a decent Canon/Nikon/Olympus point-and-shoot digital camera. There was a light uniform shadow behind me just above my shoulders, but overall, the lighting was fine with no shadows on my face.

You get four 2x2 photos. My face filled a much larger area of the photo than the one in my previous passport, but it was still within the stated guidelines (I measured it to be sure).

It took about an hour for Costco to print them, but that's only because it was a high-volume period (holiday photo printing), and the printer had run out of toner/ink. The photos came out well, and, as far as ID photos go, came out pretty well. It looks better than the one that got printed in my new passport (the same Costco photo but now a bit overexposed and slightly off-center).
slumb3r likes this.

Last edited by Evo40; Jan 11, 2018 at 10:12 pm Reason: Updated Timeline
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:04 pm

Applied for child's first passport at post office on 12/29/17 and received it in the mail 1/16/18, which was 18 days from start to finish, including weekends and a couple federal holidays. We did not pay for expedited service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.