Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Black friday shopping advice for one traveling from Europe.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2015, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: LAN COMODORO

HI friend

All most each year i fly to USA the first week of December, last year i was able to score some deals on Cyber Monday at Best buy. Just a few games 20% off, 2 controles for PS4 35% off and also a Sony A5000 cam 20 % off.

This year i will be on the US for Black friday and i wanna know what it takes to score a doorbusting deal. Like those 50" tvs that i see for 199 usd. On Best buy i have seen the start sales on thanksgiving, is it easy to get a deal on that Day (many People will be with the family)?

What does it takes? Any advise? Thanks
Old Sep 16, 2015, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Be prepared to line up HOURS before the shops open and run like crazy when the doors finally open.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 3:36 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Hours? no, days is more like it.
Get a tent, sleeping bag and a camping stove to make food, then get ready for the bull run when the doors open and take no prisoners ^
Old Sep 16, 2015, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hire an inexpensive proxy to wait in line for you at a BB that's far from a metro center. Tell them to get the magic tickets for the doorbusters you want. Take his place in line 30 minutes before opening.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 5:28 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Black friday advise

or just buy online. more and more stores have the same or better deals online
Old Sep 16, 2015, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last year, we got the $199 50" Panny from BB on Thanksgiving Day.
It wasn't available online.
I didn't wait in line for the store to open.
The manager called our home @ 7:30pm and said, "I have one reserved for you." Forty minutes later, it was loaded in my SUV and heading home.

YMMV.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:13 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by PABLOCO
HI friend

All most each year i fly to USA the first week of December, last year i was able to score some deals on Cyber Monday at Best buy. Just a few games 20% off, 2 controles for PS4 35% off and also a Sony A5000 cam 20 % off.

This year i will be on the US for Black friday and i wanna know what it takes to score a doorbusting deal. Like those 50" tvs that i see for 199 usd. On Best buy i have seen the start sales on thanksgiving, is it easy to get a deal on that Day (many People will be with the family)?

What does it takes? Any advise? Thanks
No the stores open on Thanksgiving Day can be just as busy if they have really good deals. And the stores that are open that day but aren't crazy busy, are that way because they don't have any super exceptional deals on T-Day.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I saw people camping out in front of Best Buy around noon the day before black Friday. The line was considerably longer around 8pm.

Some stores now open at midnight.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 7:28 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Let me move this to the USA forum for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My advice for Black Friday shopping is: don't.

just buy online.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Elite or something, Marriott Platinum
I LOVE Black Friday shopping!

The problem is many more stores are starting on Thursday and it just doesn't have the same charm. There was something about waking at the crack of dawn, finding someplace that served coffee (usually too early for Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts) and waiting in line with a bunch of other people who were all happy. As long as you are going with the spirit of having fun, then the crowds make for a great kick-off to the holiday season.

About a month before, various websites will start posting the Black Friday ads in one place so you can get an idea of what you want. Walmart did better last year on cheap electronics (whether I mean cheap quality or cheap price is debatable) and they price-matched competitor ads. Best Buy is the worst for length of line but it is more orderly in the store.

PM me if you'd like more advice on BF shopping. Otherwise, have a blast. American gluttony at its finest
Old Sep 16, 2015, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
My advice for Black Friday shopping is: don't.

just buy online.
This ^
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:13 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
For international visitors who find this thread and are thinking about Black Friday travel to the US: More and more, Black Friday is becoming Cyber Monday Minus Three Days. You might get a lot more bang for your buck simply by shopping online and having purchases shipped to a mail forwarding service. I knew very few people who went to brick and mortar stores this Black Friday. Most focused on online deals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.