US Tipping Etiquette

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Tipping Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by TaipeiWang
Which Germans get 6 weeks vacation? It's something between 22 and 30 days.. hence max 4 weeks. Get your facts straight .
Well, FACT IS that most US workers get 1 or 2 weeks/5 to 10 days (if in a permanent job, but many are contractors these days with NO paid vacation), so would feel quite lucky with that loooooong paid vacation.

FYI My German information givers apparently get 6 weeks.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
Btw, just saw an article saying most workers in regular 8 hour/day jobs get about 3 hours of work done/day. But servers are expected to perform at 110% for their whole work period.
That simply isn't true.

A lot of servers spend time doing during their shifts - if someone is scheduled on from 12pm-8pm. yes, they will be very busy from 12-2, and from, say 6-8 during the lunch and dinner rushes. But how many people are eating at a restaurant at 3pm on a Tuesday? Not very many at all, maybe the odd person dropping in for a drink. During those times, servers will sit around talking, especially if the boss isn't there, or take forever doing menial tasks like wrapping napkins etc. One restaurant I go to regularly, the servers take smoke breaks (since they know me, they pop by and check if I need anything before they go for their cigarette 'going for a smoke, back in 10' style). I often see them standing chatting to each other in the service area or hanging out on the patio chatting to customers. I frequently see servers messaging on / reading their phones.

Bartending / serving is a pretty easy gig - I did it for a few years while at university. Yes, there are days you are rushed off your feet, but it makes the time pass quickly. Other days it is slow as heck, say afternoons in January, where you have already cleaned everything, rotated all the stock, so even management are fine with you sitting and reading the paper (this was pre smart phones!)
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:56 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Which Germans get 6 weeks vacation? It's something between 22 and 30 days.. hence max 4 weeks. Get your facts straight .
If you were in the US and said you were getting 30 days vacation, that would be 6 weeks, presuming you work in 5-day business week. So if Germans get 22-30 days off, that sounds like a range of 4 weeks+2 days to 6 weeks.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 12:49 am
Suspended

That's why they're all so desperate to nab the pool sun loungers first.😁
Old Aug 8, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Isn't 30 days vacation six weeks (5 x 6)?
Old Aug 9, 2015, 2:41 pm

I am from Germany and its correct that most people have 6 weeks paid vaccation. 36 days if you have a 6 day week.30/5 days plus paid days, if you are ill.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: Motel 8 - Copper
I found this nice tipping guide in an easy to read format:

General Tipping Guidelines
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:07 pm

FB Newswire
"CUSTOMERS LOL AT WAITRESS: A waitress in Belmar, New Jersey, was 'stunned' on August 17, after the party of eight she had been serving declined to leave her a tip, instead writing the phrase LOL (Laugh Out Loud) for her on the ($117) receipt. The customer indicated that they had been waiting one hour for the food, a fact server Jessica Corinne acknowledged in a Facebook post. Commenting on the incident, Corinne said, "My experience with this table was cruel and unnecessary, but sadly it's not uncommon.

Last night, I was stunned by this receipt that was left for me by a party of eight people. I would have preferred a "$0" tip than a "LOL" tip, but as a waitress, bad tips and harsh notes are all part of the job. Even though they did wait an hour to eat, they remained satisfied with filled drinks and proper notice that the kitchen was a bit busier than normal. I've worked in the service industry for five years and I take pride in providing great service to my customers.

I would like to make a statement on behalf of wait staff everywhere: We make $2.50 an hour. Most of my paychecks are less than pocket change because I have to pay taxes on the tips I make. I need tips to pay my bills. All waiters do. We spend an hour or more of our time befriending you, making you laugh, getting to know you, and making your dining experience the best it can be. We work hard, and we really do care.

My experience with this table was cruel and unnecessary but sadly it's not uncommon. With that said: Please be good to your waiters. I know it's annoying when things aren't right. I know how aggravating it is to receive a hefty bill when all night you've been wondering why the table that came in after you was served before you. But waiters are mere messengers most of the time, and it's wrong to shoot them, however bad the news."
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:40 am

I adjust tips based on service. Waiting too long indicates bad service. Whether it is the server's fault is none of my concern.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by davie355
I adjust tips based on service. Waiting too long indicates bad service. Whether it is the server's fault is none of my concern.
Whilst in principle I do exactly the same I tend to bit a bit sympathetic towards servers who at least explain when the problem is out of their control and due to shortcomings in the kitchen.
If they throw a couple of free drinks my way to ease the wait then that's a definite plus.
Those rather snboty servers who indicate a long wait for food is all part of the exceptional dining experience we're lucky to be enjoying get a big fat zilch.
The only time I'm prepared to wait any length of time for food is when my wife is too busy cleaning the house to get dinner ready.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:12 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by davie355
Waiting too long indicates the kitchen is slammed. Bring it up with the manager, but don't punish the server for something out of his or her control.

Originally Posted by Clint Bint
Whilst in principle I do exactly the same I tend to bit a bit sympathetic towards servers who at least explain when the problem is out of their control and due to shortcomings in the kitchen.
If they throw a couple of free drinks my way to ease the wait then that's a definite plus.
Those rather snboty servers who indicate a long wait for food is all part of the exceptional dining experience we're lucky to be enjoying get a big fat zilch.
In that case, you should go to another restaurant. Again, it's not the server's fault or within the server's control.

The only time I'm prepared to wait any length of time for food is when my wife is too busy cleaning the house to get dinner ready.
I hope you're kidding, but based on your previous comments I suspect you aren't. My sympathies to your wife.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Waiting too long indicates the kitchen is slammed. Bring it up with the manager, but don't punish the server for something out of his or her control.

In that case, you should go to another restaurant. Again, it's not the server's fault or within the server's control.

I hope you're kidding, but based on your previous comments I suspect you aren't. My sympathies to your wife.
I'm not kidding.
My wife does the housework and cooking. In return I have provided her with a fantastic lifestyle which she has relished for decades.
We're kinda old-fashioned that way but it works for us.

Perhaps you weren't able to read my post clearly enough.
To whit,I have every sympathy for a server who can do little about a delay in the kitchen and does their best to make light of the situation.
But a condescending( ) server who disguises delays by snobbery deserves neither sympathy or a tip.

Last edited by Clint Bint; Aug 25, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.