Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Domestic destinations with taste of "foreignness"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic destinations with taste of "foreignness"?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Las Vegas. When it comes to "foreign" nothing comes close.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Las Vegas. When it comes to "foreign" nothing comes close.
Yeah but does Vegas actually resemble anywhere else on earth?
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Ragnarok
wow. Wasn't expecting so many answers in just a few hours!

For me, "foreignness" is a combination of variety of good International food, architecture and a pronounced local culture/energy (e.g. the bustling people in NY, or the "edgy" SF) .

Quebec City and Montreal seems both good idea!
My suggestion is to try Montreal first. The majority of the people there are bilingual, and speak both French and English. If your French is good, try Quebec City next. Less people speak English in QC than in Montreal.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Oh no. Not restraining order type.

Reading trip reports makes me want to travel. But the vast majority of trip reports are for long haul international trips. Which is great, but I also wonder is there anything domestic (or closer like Canada) that gives a taste of things for less time or budget.
I don't know that it's entirely clear what your criteria are...

How long of a trip is "too long" for you in terms of getting to and from the destination?

Are you only interested in land travel vs. flying?

Where are you located?

"Domestic" or "North America" doesn't always equate to shorter than international. For example if you're in Boston, non-stop flights to and from Ireland are pretty much the same time as flying nonstop between BOS and LAX. From many parts of the southern US Mexico, Central and even northern South America are not that far in terms of flight time especially with a non-stop from hubs like IAH or MIA.

Budget? Depends - one can spend a lot of money on some domestic trips and can also find affordable international trips. Miles and points help in either case.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:49 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
East Los Angeles will give you a south of the border experience without a passport.

Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley will transport you back in time 45 years.

The Grand Canyon has more foreign tourists than Americans.

Top it off with a afternoon at Disney repeatedly riding through "It's a Small World".
Old Jun 19, 2015, 8:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Oh no. Not restraining order type.

Reading trip reports makes me want to travel. But the vast majority of trip reports are for long haul international trips. Which is great, but I also wonder is there anything domestic (or closer like Canada) that gives a taste of things for less time or budget.
Ah, ok. I had visions of ankle bracelets!
Old Jun 19, 2015, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nsx
Top it off with a afternoon at Disney repeatedly riding through "It's a Small World".
That is one of the creepiest places earth. My 12-year-old daughter thought so as well!
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD, AS 75K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MtlTourist
My suggestion is to try Montreal first. The majority of the people there are bilingual, and speak both French and English. If your French is good, try Quebec City next. Less people speak English in QC than in Montreal.
In fact, almost 20% of the population in Montreal is trilingual.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I don't know that it's entirely clear what your criteria are...

How long of a trip is "too long" for you in terms of getting to and from the destination?

Are you only interested in land travel vs. flying?

Where are you located?

"Domestic" or "North America" doesn't always equate to shorter than international.

Budget? Depends - one can spend a lot of money on some domestic trips and can also find affordable international trips. Miles and points help in either case.

Thanks. It's all good points.
Chicago area based.

NY is actually a great example of what I was looking for. An easy 2 hour ORD-LGA on AA with 15,000 Avios RT. Fly out ORD say, Friday after work, comes back Monday night last flight or Tuesday morning first flight. Plenty of hotels possible on points or by bidding.

4 hours ORD-SFO is still fine.

The thought process behind the question is that, sure it feels great to burn 100K+ UR/MR/UA/AA, fly F/J to Europe or Asia, have a great 2 weeks vacation.

But I could also spend the same amount of miles / money to go on say 5 different 3-4 days trips in the US/Canada over the year.

I know off-peak AA to Europe is just 40k in Y, but 10 hours of travel time each way for a 2 days on the ground is not ideal.

Last edited by Ragnarok; Jun 19, 2015 at 4:12 pm
Old Jun 19, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Does SJU count as domestic? No passport needed, but the history, food, and culture is very unique from mainland USA.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I want to do a book called around the world in Cleveland, OH. There are lots of ethnic neighborhoods--Greek and Russian Orthodox and Polish neighborhoods where the churches reflect the ethnic origins of the first residents. Restaurants with ethnic foods still exist.

I haven't been to every large city in the US, but I'd guess most of them (particularly in the old industrial northeast with eastern European immigrants and the western US with Asian immigrants and places in the US southwest with Latino immigrants) have neighborhoods which reflect the origins of these immigrants. I don't mention British and western European immigrants because I think these became what we think of as American and thus don't qualify, although you can visit places with lots of Tudor and fake British architecture.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:50 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Puerto Rico seems obvious.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by manneca
I want to do a book called around the world in Cleveland, OH. There are lots of ethnic neighborhoods--Greek and Russian Orthodox and Polish neighborhoods where the churches reflect the ethnic origins of the first residents. Restaurants with ethnic foods still exist.

I haven't been to every large city in the US, but I'd guess most of them (particularly in the old industrial northeast with eastern European immigrants and the western US with Asian immigrants and places in the US southwest with Latino immigrants) have neighborhoods which reflect the origins of these immigrants. I don't mention British and western European immigrants because I think these became what we think of as American and thus don't qualify, although you can visit places with lots of Tudor and fake British architecture.
The poster is from chicago where there are more poles than anywhere but Warsaw, Greek town, Chinatown, Andersonville, little Italy as established areas, but you can ride down Clark street and see neighborhoods change every few blocks from Mexican, Korean,Arab, Filipino and many others, as well as Ethiopian and Asian restaurants of every variety. Visiting the world in our own hometown. Not to mention great sports, museums, lakefront, and shopping.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
That is one of the creepiest places earth. My 12-year-old daughter thought so as well!
Not only weird and fake, but really expensive.. with not a lot of options to reduce cost within the park.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 3:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Arizona. The desert south of Tucson with Organ Pipe National Monument is great. Sedona with its red rocks, Canyon de Chelly up in Navajo Country and many other spots.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.