Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Finally Will Drive WashDc - LA. Please guide me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Starwood, Marriott

A coast-to-coast drive has always been high on my bucket list. After decades of aborted launches, it looks like I can finally do it in September or October.
I've just retired, so have all the time I want, but don't want to take more than, say, 14 days to get there.

It will be a one-way trip; I'm moving to California. I won't be pulling a U-haul or anything - I only mention the move so that respondents don't waste their time thinking about my return drive.

I have no preference for a particular route yet, and look forward to suggestions from people who know the land. Of course I want to see some sights along the way, and get some interesting and worthwhile "roadfood".

Doug
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:50 pm
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by dvellice47
A coast-to-coast drive has always been high on my bucket list. After decades of aborted launches, it looks like I can finally do it in September or October.
I've just retired, so have all the time I want, but don't want to take more than, say, 14 days to get there.

It will be a one-way trip; I'm moving to California. I won't be pulling a U-haul or anything - I only mention the move so that respondents don't waste their time thinking about my return drive.

I have no preference for a particular route yet, and look forward to suggestions from people who know the land. Of course I want to see some sights along the way, and get some interesting and worthwhile "roadfood".

Doug
Doug,

Welcome to FT! And to retirement! I wish I could so now.

My first thought is Roadside America. Nifty site. Select a state and navigate the Google Map.

Next is that we need more detail! Maybe not need, but it might help us direct you things/places/sights/restaurants more up your alley.

Third is: What are your airline and hotel programs? You might plan to use some IHG points on those middle-of-nowhere PointBreaks specials. I've done that on a cross-country drive.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Congrats on the retirement!

Having done the "cross-country move" drive over half a dozen time, I know the joy... And 10 days to 2 weeks is a lovely length of time to do it in. (...having once had to go LA to Virginia in 3.5 days towing a trailer...)

You've got options on base routing, from I-80 to I-70 to I-40.....but with up to two weeks, you don't *have* to go direct.

Are you a big cities and interstates kind of guy? Back roads and natural wonders? You suggest you are interested in "roadfood." I assume that you'll be looking at Roadfood.com and Guy Fieri's "Drive-ins, Diners, and Dives"... Are you looking for Americana? BBQ? Ethnic cuisine?

LGA's suggestion of "Roadside America" is a lot of fun if you are looking for odd roadside attractions.

Some basics: Make sure your vehicle is in tip-top condition....and spending a few bucks to have a mechanic *check* and do all the niggling stuff is insurance against spending vacation time in obscure gas stations in the middle of nowhere waiting for parts. Have a spare. Make sure you have a cell phone and charger. A smart phone w/ GPS is a handy navigation tool. (if it's android, I really like the Navfree app) AAA membership is good for peace of mind and a tow out of trouble....plus they still give out maps. Ask the locals where *they* eat.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Hey congrats on the upcoming trip ^

I drove Phoenix to Durham, NC a few years ago and these were my two favorite road food stops:

- Big Texan Steak Ranch, Amarillo, TX: http://bigtexan.com/
- Charlie Vargas Rendezvous, Memphis, TN: http://www.hogsfly.com/

Memphis is a fun city for an overnight visit too though I'd try to find a better route east of it than I-40 which is about as boring as it gets. However, once you get west of Texas, I-40 is gorgeous through the deserts of NM and AZ (plus an easy stop at the Grand Canyon if you're interested).

Have a great trip.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Starwood, Marriott
Thanks to the early responders. I haven't been to Roadfood.com in a while and will of course check in there. Fieri's DD&D is, IMHO, not worth the trouble. The few times I've followed him somewhere I've either missed the charm of the place or all the attention he got them has spoiled them <grin>.
I do love me some back roads, and have had the pleasure of driving LA-SFO up the coast, and a nice trip once from Montreal to Portsmouth, NH through the mountains and over covered bridges. (OK, maybe there was only one covered bridge.) Driving in the Adirondack Park has always been pleasant.
Definitely will go down the Skyline to the Blue Ridge for a while, then head west. I'll have to spend a lot of time on interstates, I know, but will be happy to jump off for something cute.
Doug

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.