Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Volunteer/Summer Internship as a Gate Agent/CSR in the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,
This will be a weird topic but please bear with me:
One of my children is graduating high school this year, and LOVES airplanes/airlines, etc, just like me!
He wants to work for an airline this summer in an airport setting, just for fun, here at IAH.
Do you think it would be possible for him to be a gate agent or a check in agent for 3-4 months during the summer either as a job or EVEN AS A VOLUNTEER?
Who would I contact?
He really just wants to have the experience and just for fun. - He is 18, so age shouldn't be a problem

Thanks!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 10, 2014 at 6:53 pm Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q62 AND http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q65
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by iluvairlines
Do you think it would be possible for him to be a gate agent or a check in agent for 3-4 months during the summer either as a job or EVEN AS A VOLUNTEER? ....
it is call "interning" or "internship"
Don't know if the union would allow this for those roles, there was a great thread a few years back http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...er-intern.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 10, 2014 at 5:55 pm Reason: link
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:35 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
"The ramp" (i.e. baggage handlers) often hire seasonal work. They'd be stuck in the pit of an aircraft, a less than pleasant summer job, regardless of how much one thinks he will like it. I was a summer time temp back in the 80's. I'd never do that again!

CS, not so much...on heavy volume periods, they just speed up the clock speed on ez-chickin. (one doesn't learn the reservation system overnight, temp help is not training cost-efficient.)

Summer is where CS earns the money to buy bread for October-December. Without summer OT, I'd not be getting my car breaks fixed this year!
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

so you think even if he did it as a volunteer it wouldn't work out?
CS not ramp
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:51 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
CS not ramp
No, training isn't something that just happens, the airline will spend 6-8 weeks teaching the systems, and codes. For short time, that isn't cost effective. Much cheaper to pay OT to an experienced agent than pay to train a new one for a month or two, then OJT them for another couple of months. It took them 2 weeks to train the experienced on Shares, and that is already knowing the basics and all the technical things, just for the differences in the old and new (/cough) systems. And then it took us months to be of any real use.

They used to hire relatives short term summer to run UMs between the gates, but now, that too was outsourced to a low cost vender.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by fastair
(one doesn't learn the reservation system overnight, temp help is not training cost-efficient.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks's_law (sic)
Old Mar 10, 2014, 6:07 pm

CS not ramp
Unpaid internships are dying out in all industries. I believe DoL rules prevent companies from having unpaid interns unless the job purpose was primarily training rather than work. And it is hard to justify a summer of CS work as training.

And that is before getting in to union rules.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: United, Southwest, SPG, HH, Marriott Rewards
Not sure if this suits his needs, but the FAA has a student volunteer program. Might be worth looking into.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...nteer_service/
Old Mar 10, 2014, 6:45 pm

Every airline hires seasonal help for the summer. He would get paid, trained, flight benefits, etc. Not only would he be around the airport but he would have an income he could save for beer money for college ( ) Check every airline career site and see which ones are still accepting applications for summer help. Might be too late for a lot of them but you never know.

Also, being in Texas, Southwest hires an incredible amount of interns every summer. It would be in DAL, and not IAH, but just another thought to throw out there.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 6:55 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Moving this to the TravelBuzz! Forum (with a more descriptive thread title).

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United MileagePlus Forum
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:15 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by wizzardofoz
Unpaid internships are dying out in all industries. I believe DoL rules prevent companies from having unpaid interns unless the job purpose was primarily training rather than work. And it is hard to justify a summer of CS work as training.

And that is before getting in to union rules.
Unpaid internships are alive and all-too well in NYC, among other US cities.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
It looks like the Red Cross/Travelers Aid has a station at IAH. I presume both would offer volunteer positions based on their setup at other airports.

The number is 713-526-8300.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:24 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Another option would be a city ambassador (or whatever it may be called locally). These people just sit at the desk or roam around and help people with booking hotels, figuring out public transportation, etc. They are usually volunteers.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Also check with whatever local government entity owns or controls the airport authority. They might have some internship options even if it's not quite so front line passenger-wise. But you would get to see the back of the house when a tornado warning and such causes a four hour ground stop and the logistics of getting everything moving again.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
.... LOVES airplanes ....
I'm suprised no one has suggested that the young person join the Civil Air Patrol, Air National Guard or the military.

http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.