Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Does one need to transfer a U.S. visa from an expired passport to the new passport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does one need to transfer a U.S. visa from an expired passport to the new passport?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M

FIL's Indian passport is about to expire and his travel agent claims that one does not need to transfer the US visa to the new passport. He would just need to carry the old passport with him. Is that correct?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:28 pm

Yes. No need to transfer.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:35 pm

Here is an official link to reassure you: http://travel.state.gov/visa/questio...ns_1253.html#7
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CX HK
Here is an official link to reassure you: http://travel.state.gov/visa/questio...ns_1253.html#7
Thanks.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:42 am

The only thing to watch out for is whether the passport issuing authority damage the visa when they cancel the old passport. Cancelling a passport is typically done by cutting off a corner of the cover, but I have seen passports that have been cancelled by cutting off a corner of the whole book or by cutting the word "cancelled" through the whole book with a punch. If the cancellation defaces the US visa in any way, it will no longer be considered valid by the US authorities.

Otherwise, the US visa remains valid in the old passport until the date of its own expiry (not that of the passport it is in), although I think that the two passports that are presented at US passport control must be of the same nationality. (That is not going to be a problem in this case, however.)
Old Jan 15, 2013, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Christopher
Cancelling a passport is typically done by cutting off a corner of the cover, but I have seen passports that have been cancelled by cutting off a corner of the whole book or by cutting the word "cancelled" through the whole book with a punch.
The OP referred to Indian passports. India does not deface cancelled passports in that manner. Indeed, the new passport will be endorsed with the number of the previous passport and the notation that it contains valid visas.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by B747-437B
The OP referred to Indian passports. India does not deface cancelled passports in that manner. Indeed, the new passport will be endorsed with the number of the previous passport and the notation that it contains valid visas.
That is indeed standard practice currently for Indian passports that are submitted along with a renewal application.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Does it also apply to passports that have been cancelled (but undamaged) due to obtaining a newer passport, and where the expiration date in the old passport has not yet been reached ?

The US government website says uses only the word "expired".

Thanks
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just an update: FIL came here using the new passport, but without moving the visa over. Brought his old passport as well.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 3:17 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Christopher
If the cancellation defaces the US visa in any way, it will no longer be considered valid by the US authorities.
I don't think that's true. Someone I know spilled water on the passport that had the visa. The passport got soaked. The visa is still visible, but not in its original shape (it faded a bit). The visa does not scan correctly, but if the CBP manually enters the numbers on the visa it comes up on their screen and it is good enough for entry.

My point is that a damaged visa can still be valid because it can be verified in the system.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by mastergeek
Does it also apply to passports that have been cancelled (but undamaged) due to obtaining a newer passport, and where the expiration date in the old passport has not yet been reached ?
Yes it does. Those are treated as expired passports as their validity has been prematurely cancelled upon issue of the new passport booklet.

Originally Posted by florin
My point is that a damaged visa can still be valid because it can be verified in the system.
Damaged and defaced are two different things. A visa with accidental water damage will get a humph of annoyance but thats about it. A visa with "CANCELLED" stamped over it or with a hole punched through it will not even get you on the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.