American chauvinism?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American chauvinism?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:55 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
No, I think Boeing screwed up development of their latest models and at the same time discontinued production of some very fine airliners, which led to more Airbus sales.

One might say the Japanese are prouder to buy American than the Americans. Look at the fleet composition of NH, JL, etc...
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tonywestsider
No, I think Boeing screwed up development of their latest models and at the same time discontinued production of some very fine airliners, which led to more Airbus sales.

One might say the Japanese are prouder to buy American than the Americans. Look at the fleet composition of NH, JL, etc...
Or perhaps.. political/business reasons had something to do with the purchases..

Funny if Americans don't buy Boeing.. then how is Boeing expected to sell internationally.. regarding screwed up development of their latest models..?
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:41 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Or perhaps.. political/business reasons had something to do with the purchases..

Funny if Americans don't buy Boeing.. then how is Boeing expected to sell internationally.. regarding screwed up development of their latest models..?
Well, the latest sales between the these manufacturers from one of the biggest industry air shows are quite telling. Boeing had a nice demonstration at one of the air shows but Airbus ran away with sales. AA recently submitted a huge order of both Airbus and Boeing planes, mainly 737s, which are not as popular as their competitor, the A320. The other interesting trend is that some carriers are replacing "aging" 777s with A330s. OTOH, Boeing is doing well selling the 777-300ER but as I mentioned in an earlier post, US carriers currently do not operate the plane and act as if the model does not exist. Only AA has put in orders for the 773s to be used for long haul international service.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 7:22 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Instead, the BN crews stuck a piece of tape on the registry number on the plane, covering the plane's UK or French registry number with BN's US registry number for the aircraft. Technically, BA/AF sold the plane to BN for use on the domestic segments, and BN sold it back to BA/AF right before the transatlatic segments.
Correct: http://www.concordesst.com/history/events/braniff.html

The SIA half-Concorde: http://heritageconcorde.com/wp-conte...10/05/sia2.jpg
Old Aug 17, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Re Concorde in the early days there were stories that BA didn't have a clue how to price the tickets. Prices used to be so low that effectively the "business and show-biz elite" were having their tickets heavily subsidised by passengers on other non-Concorde flights. This apparently changed when BA surveyed it's Concorde passengers (whose PA's almost invariably brought the tickets) and they asked them how much they thought their ticket had cost. They found that the passengers thought they were paying significantly more than they were currently being charged and very quickly prices went up.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
No but evidently the US gov't had to buy Boeing for the replacement tanker so gov't influence could still be there, just sayin
Apples and oranges. The US gov't is not the same thing as private airlines.

Originally Posted by BearX220
Politics and European vanity.
European vanity is a stupid assertion to make; I'm not going to respond to that.

The A380 program won't be profitable for Airbus until they deliver 200-250 airframes, and the European flag carriers have all felt pressure to chip in. BA, LH and AF have all stepped up.
I call BS. Do you have any evidence to support that? I think you're assuming that if a European airline bought the A380 then it must be for political reasons, and unless you have something to support it, I think it's BS. These are private airlines. These airlines also fly Boeings; it's not like they're all Airbus.

Putting the A380 on TATL doesn't necessarily make economic sense; it yields a limited amount of PR value with the minority of pax who pay attention to aircraft type.
Do you have any numbers to back up this claim? How do you know that it doesn't make economic sense? The A380 is more economical in terms of CASM; unless the flights go out empty (and I don't think that's true), those flights make money. If you have any evidence, please provide it; otherwise please don't state your assumptions as facts.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
Re Concorde in the early days there were stories that BA didn't have a clue how to price the tickets. Prices used to be so low that effectively the "business and show-biz elite" were having their tickets heavily subsidised by passengers on other non-Concorde flights. This apparently changed when BA surveyed it's Concorde passengers (whose PA's almost invariably brought the tickets) and they asked them how much they thought their ticket had cost. They found that the passengers thought they were paying significantly more than they were currently being charged and very quickly prices went up.
BA surveying their customers.. and the customers say that they need to pay more? Usually customers on surveys would go the other way, to keep the favourable pricing..

Or am I misinterpreting?..
Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Do you think pride to buy American on part of the airlines help Boeing sales?... perhaps.. political/business reasons had something to do with the purchases... Funny if Americans don't buy Boeing.. then how is Boeing expected to sell internationally.. regarding screwed up development of their latest models..?
I think pride and home-nation politics have absolutely nothing to do with US carriers' purchase decisions. That hasn't been the case since UA chose the A320 over the B737 back in the 1980s. US and NW chose the A330 over the B767, B6 went all-Airbus from day one, etc. It's all about driving the best deal irrespective of politics.

It does serve the airlines' interests, though, to keep Boeing, Airbus and increasingly Embraer healthy and constantly in selling / negotiating mode. Hence the recent AA split order.

As for the question "How is Boeing expected to sell internationally if Americans don't buy Boeing?" ... Americans don't buy many airplanes at all these days because they don't have the capital, so Boeing has to make the vast majority of its sales overseas regardless of what happens at home. There is no overseas airline that would reject a Boeing model because not enough US carriers have ordered it. That would be silly.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 4:23 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
BA surveying their customers.. and the customers say that they need to pay more? Usually customers on surveys would go the other way, to keep the favourable pricing..

Or am I misinterpreting?..
Yes, I think you're misinterpreting. BA realised their passengers weren't the ones actually buying the tickets it would be a PA and that in many cases the passengers wouldn't ever find out how much they would paid for the ticket. So the story goes BA asked them "how much do you think your PA paid for your ticket"? They didn't tell them how much they were actually paying, just what they thought they had paid

The answers they got back indicated that the super rich thought they were paying a lot more for the flight than they were in reality being charged, and so BA put their prices up significantly and it was only by doing this that Concorde could ever pay its way.

Check out the paragraph about BA buying Concorde outright in the following
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concorde
Old Aug 17, 2011, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
The answers they got back indicated that the super rich thought they were paying a lot more for the flight than they were in reality being charged, and so BA put their prices up significantly and it was only by doing this that Concorde could ever pay its way.
I doubt if Concorde ever paid its way when adjusted for inflation and/or cost of capital (or even not!)
Old Aug 17, 2011, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by florin
Apples and oranges. The US gov't is not the same thing as private airlines.

European vanity is a stupid assertion to make; I'm not going to respond to that.

I call BS. Do you have any evidence to support that? I think you're assuming that if a European airline bought the A380 then it must be for political reasons, and unless you have something to support it, I think it's BS. These are private airlines. These airlines also fly Boeings; it's not like they're all Airbus.

Do you have any numbers to back up this claim? How do you know that it doesn't make economic sense? The A380 is more economical in terms of CASM; unless the flights go out empty (and I don't think that's true), those flights make money. If you have any evidence, please provide it; otherwise please don't state your assumptions as facts.
Wow, what got your nickers in a twist?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by florin
I call BS.
I guess I don't care. But ask yourself why all US carriers pulled the 747 off the North Atlantic 25 to 30 years ago. Lower CASM isn't the issue. Long and thin is in; short and stout is out. If the 747 is too big for the market, the A380 is... your guess.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:37 am
Suspended

I think pride and home-nation politics have absolutely nothing to do with US carriers' purchase decisions. That hasn't been the case since UA chose the A320 over the B737 back in the 1980s. US and NW chose the A330 over the B767, B6 went all-Airbus from day one, etc. It's all about driving the best deal irrespective of politics.

It does serve the airlines' interests, though, to keep Boeing, Airbus and increasingly Embraer healthy and constantly in selling / negotiating mode. Hence the recent AA split order.

As for the question "How is Boeing expected to sell internationally if Americans don't buy Boeing?" ... Americans don't buy many airplanes at all these days because they don't have the capital, so Boeing has to make the vast majority of its sales overseas regardless of what happens at home. There is no overseas airline that would reject a Boeing model because not enough US carriers have ordered it. That would be silly.
What you say is true..

I'm just pointing out the perception of US airlines preferring Airbus.. and how that perception would resonate to international carriers who is considering buying Boeing..

Yes, I think you're misinterpreting. BA realised their passengers weren't the ones actually buying the tickets it would be a PA and that in many cases the passengers wouldn't ever find out how much they would paid for the ticket. So the story goes BA asked them "how much do you think your PA paid for your ticket"? They didn't tell them how much they were actually paying, just what they thought they had paid

Check out the paragraph about BA buying Concorde outright in the following
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concorde
Thanks for pointing this out..

Didn't make sense to me that a survey would be put out to customers.. whose feedback was that the prices were too low..
Old Aug 18, 2011, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I doubt if Concorde ever paid its way when adjusted for inflation and/or cost of capital (or even not!)
BA got the planes cheap

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.