Tipping in America?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping in America?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
At many of these establishments tipping is not only not encouraged but not permitted.
This is very true of the Clubs that I have membership.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Great discussion in this thread.
For restaurants, the general practice is becoming 18% for good service, 20% for great. If the service is exceptional, 20% plus commend specific employees to the manager.
You are obviously good at Mental Arithmetic!

I once had the embarrassing experience of sitting next to a colleague, after his meal, who pulled out a calculator to determine the EXACT tip to 6 decimal points.

Come on, folks, for most of us here it's 'pennies/cents'. For the low-paid USA staff it's a lifeline [and taxed on the IRS expectation of earnings]. That's the US system, and I'll happily go with the flow ... and from long experience I get a fantastic return in service/priority.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:44 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by PTravel
How so? The origin of the word "tip" was an acronym for, "To Insure Promptness."
No it isn't.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:50 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
TIf you find local customs so offensive, perhaps international travel is something that you should avoid?
Why? The wast majority of international travel does not have to include tipping.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by David-A
No it isn't.
A little google research confirms you are correct. It would have been helpful had you included a little more information. Paraphrasing Monty Python's "Argument Clinic" sketch, "Simple contradiction does not constitute a discussion."
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tsastor
Why? The wast majority of international travel does not have to include tipping.
On the contrary, the vast majority of international travel does involve tipping at some level. However, if you prefer, simply avoid the U.S. with its offensive tipping customs.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by wbl-mn-flyer
If you tip all the time, at a high level and regardless of service, you've defeated the basic idea.
I agree, but in NYC it's become so normal to tip 20% minimum at every breakfast, lunch or dinner even when the service is mediocre at best.

Most scenarios have been covered, though 2 others would be :

Salon - The girl that cuts my hair in NY expects a 25% tip

Coat check - Often forgotten. It amazes me the amount of people in NY that spend $150 each on dinner or $1000 on table service in a club yet fail to hand the coat check girl/guy a couple of bucks per coat
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:57 pm

Then you will not enjoy domestic flights in the U.S.
My first US domestic flight was a transcontinental redeye on AA. There were a lot of FA's just standing around, not serving anyone anything. I could not understand why they were there.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:59 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by T8191
You are obviously good at Mental Arithmetic!
I can figure 15% and 20% in my head... so I aim for the middle of those two.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:59 pm

On the contrary, the vast majority of international travel does involve tipping at some level. However, if you prefer, simply avoid the U.S. with its offensive tipping customs.
Tell me about it . However, in the U.S., I feel I have become quite good at avoiding tipping situations (thus not earning normal or top end restaurants or their employees very much money).

Last edited by tsastor; Jun 29, 2010 at 1:05 pm
Old Jun 29, 2010, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I generally tip;

15-20% in Restaurants, Bar meals ( more often towards the 20% and maybe more unless the service is poor) I dine alone most of the time and do not ususally have alcohol so the bill is usually reasonable and the difference between 15 & 20 % is minor to me

Bellboys -usually a couple of $ per case unless it is a long way ( ie at the tapatio cliffs or squaw peak in PHX they can drive you up to the room then it would be $5 or more

Doorman A buck or 2 if they call me a cab

Housekeeping- I give a couple of bucks a day ( amybe a bit more at the more expensive chain hotels as their job is not an easy one). I usually leave out a $ for turndown service ( more if it is a thorough turndown ie extra towels , chocolate, bins emptied). Usually it is not take from the desk but if I'm in the room when they come round then I will give it to them.
On my final night I will leave more money when I leave ( inc quarters oor dimes ) esp when leaving to go back to the UK and will leave a buck or two extra if there is more rubbish in the room ( ie when I have been at an outlet mall)

Buffets- A couple of bucks or so . In Las Vegas if the waitperson has been good ( ie regular refills and coffee)then an extra buck or two
I dislike the tip jars at the food courts/ Starbucks etc.

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 29, 2010, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tsastor
My first US domestic flight was a transcontinental redeye on AA. There were a lot of FA's just standing around, not serving anyone anything. I could not understand why they were there.
Their function is to call security to remove passengers who express their displeasure.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Don't worry, no one else is enjoying all the tipping either.
Hold on there; dont speak for all of us Yanks! I enjoy leaving a good tip for a waitperson that provided exemplary service in a restaurant, or a bartender that took good care of me during a busy time. Gotta keep those $1 drafts flowing during Happy Hour.

For take-out orders where the host takes the order, packages the food, includes utensils, condiments, etc., it is somewhat customary and very appreciated to give 10%. (In most casual restaurants the host is not paid much more than the other waitstaff but typically receives only a small portion of tips.)
I don't tip the cashier that rings up my take away.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 1:07 pm

Their function is to call security to remove passengers who express their displeasure.
That explains it then .
Old Jun 29, 2010, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I can figure 15% and 20% in my head... so I aim for the middle of those two.
OK, smarty-pants, I'll give you that one ... even though you may be under-tipping by 0.5%

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.