Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the grapevine: US and UA are talking about something

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2009, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
OT, I worked on a survey tonight, that seemed to be more of a comparison between US and CO. A number of the questions asked you to provide rankings on service, quality, elite programs, etc., but the only two airline options that were listed in this section were US and CO. Not sure who is sponsoring this one...
Old Sep 21, 2009, 8:32 pm

Remember, Mr. Parker mentioned multiple times in the past that additional consolidations are needed. If this is a case, then it will persuade other carriers (UA & CO) to reconsider about their strategy on M&A.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 9:09 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by Dalat767
Remember, Mr. Parker mentioned multiple times in the past that additional consolidations are needed. If this is a case, then it will persuade other carriers (UA & CO) to reconsider about their strategy on M&A.
Here is the rub--CO and UA won't mate (they did the code share). CO wants nothing to do with Tempe (from a few years back). I suppose UA and US could mate, but the UA board told Parker a year or two ago that if they did, Tempe would not run the show. Which makes sense--do you really think that elites in DC or LA or ORD would flock to US when they have airlines with superior products at the same price available to them?
Old Sep 21, 2009, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by chrisphx
If each airline did a better job of honoring each other's status more fully (including "premium" seat assignments in coach) and offering code shares, that would be a very welcome outcome.
US has premium coach offerings?
Old Sep 21, 2009, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by iahphx
Well, perhaps they have some data now which shows that pax are willing to pay for these "enhancements," where before they believed they were not. Perhaps its a realization that some of their moves were wrong. Experimentation is not without risks (but also not without rewards: the new fees, for example, will net US $500 million a year).
What enhancements? I'm not talking about fees or à la carte. I was talking about ripping out seats and closets from first class, adding more seats to Y with less pitch/space, not cleaning the aircraft well, not taking care of interior aircraft repairs except with duct tape, the awful reservation migration in March 2007, the bad IRROPS and mishandled luggage of past years, not resolving work group contracts, etc. Those weren't enhancements, those were bad management.

None of these things had to happen. These type of things haven't happened in the DL/NW merger.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by me4yankees
What enhancements? I'm not talking about fees or à la carte. I was talking about ripping out seats and closets from first class, adding more seats to Y with less pitch/space, not cleaning the aircraft well, not taking care of interior aircraft repairs except with duct tape, the awful reservation migration in March 2007, the bad IRROPS and mishandled luggage of past years, not resolving work group contracts, etc. Those weren't enhancements, those were bad management.

None of these things had to happen. These type of things haven't happened in the DL/NW merger.
Seems a bit like a laundry list, no? The decision to add more seats to aircraft was obviously a business decision -- and probably a smart one at that, given how load factors have averaged about 85% the last few years. Do customers like less legroom? No. Does it increase revenue? Yes.

The luggage situation -- which has always been mostly a PHL problem -- never got worse after the merger. Indeed, it has slowly gotten better. It's now at a point where US's mishandled bag ratio is very competitive in the industry.

The Rez Migration was screwed up: badly for a weekend, and modestly screwed up for a month or two. Worse than previous migrations? No.

And blaming management for the labor issues -- which have in no way truly affected any US customer EVER -- is silly. Sure, Delta learned a lesson from the dysfunctional behavior at the US pilot unions. But hindsight is 20-20.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:16 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
The luggage situation -- which has always been mostly a PHL problem -- never got worse after the merger. Indeed, it has slowly gotten better. It's now at a point where US's mishandled bag ratio is very competitive in the industry.
That's akin to saying Michael Vick's pet care skills can only improve. Indeed, they probably have gotten better.

The Rez Migration was screwed up: badly for a weekend, and modestly screwed up for a month or two. Worse than previous migrations? No.
Much worse than prior migrations, in reality. When US (East) cut Sabre in in 1998, it was messed up--for a day. Maybe two. You might argue that US subsequently screwed the proverbial pooch with their web implementation on top of sabre, but the SHARES migration was absolutely worse than the sabre migration. At least to those who flew the airline, anyway.

I love the casual dismissal, though.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Here is the rub--CO and UA won't mate (they did the code share). CO wants nothing to do with Tempe (from a few years back). I suppose UA and US could mate, but the UA board told Parker a year or two ago that if they did, Tempe would not run the show. Which makes sense--do you really think that elites in DC or LA or ORD would flock to US when they have airlines with superior products at the same price available to them?
Your point is well taken.
Here is my point --- Mr. Parker is a smart man but he is also a shrewd businessman. He is looking for a dance partner with a potential to become a companion. Meanwhile, he is also enticing other associate to come along to challenge his motive. Either he is going to marry his dance partner or his dance partner will marry someone else to reduce the competition.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 6:36 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
Maybe UA is just giving US a heads up on how many elites they are stealing with their as yet unmatched double miles promo...

US is trying to explain the benefits of making accidental elites out of the Kettles...
Old Sep 22, 2009, 9:22 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by me4yankees

Perhaps a trip to the NWA board is needed to see that all is far from rosy with the new DelWest Air Lines.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by flight62
Perhaps a trip to the NWA board is needed to see that all is far from rosy with the new DelWest Air Lines.
Keyword search: Deltified
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by flight62
I know that the NW elites are not happy with DL. However....I flew NW for the first time a few weeks ago (having not flown DL in over 7 years), and I was very impressed with the experience.....which to an outsider was already "Deltified." I flew in both F and Y, mainline and Express.

I guess what I am trying to say was that my first impression of Northwelta was very good, whereas an outsider's first impression of US would probably not be as good. I know that the DL/NW merger is not proceeding without its share of hiccups and nay-sayers, but I do believe that DL/NW has managed to avoid at least some of the merger-related problems which occurred during and after the US/HP merger.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:30 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by Dalat767
Your point is well taken.
Here is my point --- Mr. Parker is a smart man but he is also a shrewd businessman. He is looking for a dance partner with a potential to become a companion. Meanwhile, he is also enticing other associate to come along to challenge his motive. Either he is going to marry his dance partner or his dance partner will marry someone else to reduce the competition.
while that may be true, UA isn't gonna dance with US. US is still a labor mess from HP, and UA has great partnerships with LH and soon to be CO.

wouldn't be surprised if US leaves * now that CO is joining.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:55 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent/MR Gold/ HH Diamond/National/MGM/Amex
My completely uneducated guess about what was said in the US/UA talks:

US: We need you to keep *net blocking and lazy FA's so you dont steal all of our customers!
UA: Okay, but we need you to keep those horrible F seats and even worse miles earning ratio so you dont steal all of our customers!
US: Deal
UA: Deal
Both: Wait...what about when CO joins!? Crud!

Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:10 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
And blaming management for the labor issues -- which have in no way truly affected any US customer EVER -- is silly. Sure, Delta learned a lesson from the dysfunctional behavior at the US pilot unions. But hindsight is 20-20.
At a minimum, labor issues affect morale which affects how customers are treated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.