Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What "time" are upgrades processed?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2009, 7:16 am

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Great stuff! A three- and five-year-old SP in the same family.

But that begs the question. What advantages as SP's do children that age really get? They can't sit in exit rows. And since they'll likely travel with you, any upgrades will occur as a result of being the companion of a PP.
Right, not much but here are a few:

1) If it's just me or my wife traveling with them, we'll still be eligible for upgrades. Without status, 1 elite and 2 non-elites wouldn't get upgrades.

2) If we have a third, we'll still be eligible for upgrades (although it's less likely when you consider many US F cabins are 8 or 12 seats). 2 elites with 3 non-elites wouldn't be able to get upgrades, but 4 elites with 1 non-elite would.

3) They'll be eligible for 500 mile minimums and Silver bonuses.

4) Daddy can brag on FT.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 2:17 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by MichaelColey
2) If we have a third, we'll still be eligible for upgrades (although it's less likely when you consider many US F cabins are 8 or 12 seats). 2 elites with 3 non-elites wouldn't be able to get upgrades, but 4 elites with 1 non-elite would.
It's not as unlikely as you might think. I flew PHL-LAX last week on an A321 (16 F seats). After the SP window past, there were still three F seats available.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by tommyleo
It's not as unlikely as you might think. I flew PHL-LAX last week on an A321 (16 F seats). After the SP window past, there were still three F seats available.
True. I flew one segment last month where F was barely half full, even with two non-revs and a couple soldiers that were all moved up. On the routes I've flown, I would guestimate that a single Platinum would get upgraded close to 90% of the time, while a group of five would probably only have a 50% chance at the Platinum upgrade window.

I was EXTREMELY surprised that all four of us got upgraded on all four of our segments for Tuesday -- especially the PHL-LAX transcon.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 9:19 am

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cdepks
I'm on the 2pm (1416). Does anyone know if http://www.flyaow.com/classamex.htm
takes into account the normally blocked row 1? I just checked my flight and it says there are 2 F seats left. Is that 2 + row one, or 2 total?
Did your upgrade go through? I'm in 4F on that flight and it appears that 4D is still open.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USPhilly
Did your upgrade go through? I'm in 4F on that flight and it appears that 4D is still open.
My upgrade did not go through. Where do you see 4D open? I am seeing F sold out, as welll as through First Class Availability site and the SP line I called at 10 am today?
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:36 pm

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cdepks
My upgrade did not go through. Where do you see 4D open? I am seeing F sold out, as welll as through First Class Availability site and the SP line I called at 10 am today?
Looking at flyaow.com it shows F0 so it looks like you're right. When I look at the US seatmap on my reservation it shows 4D as open. I guess there is someone who has not selected/has not been assigned a seat.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL:Lifetime Gold: US:CM:SPG:Lifetime Plat:HHonors:Diamond
Seat counter/ Upgrade Mile Seats

For seat count one can use
www.seatcounter.com

Also i am on PHL-SEA on 06APR and return the 10APR. Seat counts are all available for sale (A321) but NO seats for using miles to upgrade.. anyone know when these get released or as a Plat. one can ask to get them released?

thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2009, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by PHLFlyerDL
For seat count one can use
www.seatcounter.com

Also i am on PHL-SEA on 06APR and return the 10APR. Seat counts are all available for sale (A321) but NO seats for using miles to upgrade.. anyone know when these get released or as a Plat. one can ask to get them released?

thanks!
I would guess that they will start being released for mileage or status upgrades by the CP window, seven days out. FWIW, the Plat window is four days, Gold three days, and Silver two days. But they do usually hold a few for sale.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 6:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by me4yankees
I would guess that they will start being released for mileage or status upgrades by the CP window, seven days out. FWIW, the Plat window is four days, Gold three days, and Silver two days. But they do usually hold a few for sale.
A few years ago (so this info could be outdated), I really wanted to be in F for PHX-JFK (was separately flying VS JFK-LHR). I checked periodically, and there was never any availability. However, at 8 days out, magically I was able to use miles to guarantee an upgrade (I was a lowly Silver at the time). Just my experience, not sure if it is true today, but something to think about. I may have taken seats from a higher elite, as F did go out full (and it made the very long trip a bit more bearable).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.