Community
Wiki Posts
Search

any compensation for weather related delay?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2009, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

any compensation for weather related delay?

I went to Boston to attend a conference Friday and was heading back BOS-DCA-CMH on Sunday. Of course the snow and wind made it a hard day for all airports and airlines. The BOS-DCA leg was on time. After I got to DCA at around 3:30, the suffering began. All direct flights to CMH got canceled. Only a certain 9351 flight showed up with the status of 'on time.' All the representative told me that was not a passenger flight. They rearrange me to go through PHL. I arrived at CMH at 1:30 am Monday, instead of the original arrival time of 6:30 pm Sunday. Should I file a complain and is it possible for me to get any compensations? I am Star Gold (UA 1P) and frankly speaking UA gives compensation to elite members readily and generously. But I am not too optimistic about US Airways.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL FO, US Silver, MR Plat, HH Silver
I never heard of any airline giving compensation for weather delays and getting home 7 hours late after a snow storm doesn't seem too bad to me.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
UA gives compensation for weather delays????

Airlines should not & do not give compensation for weather delays? About all you could hope for would be a discounted hotel voucher or something like that if stranded over night. Do not complain about this issue.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 6:23 pm

It's highly unlikely but it never hurts to ask.

It is pretty much common knowledge that weather delays are NOT eligible for compensation. Being given priority on re-booking would seem to me to be of more value then miles or vouchers.

Weather happens. I've NEVER asked for compensation for weather and US has been generous to offer it to me on several occasions.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

But I think they made a mistake. The weather in Columbus that evening was not as bad as that at either DCA or PHL, but we still took off at DCA and landed and took off at PHL - the experience of landing and taking off at PHL was not fun, with everybody praying for the plane not to crash. And it's quite obvious that the mystic 9351 flight flew DCA-CMH, empty. It is a management mistake rather than weather caused case!
Old Mar 3, 2009, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by zhuyanfei
But I think they made a mistake. The weather in Columbus that evening was not as bad as that at either DCA or PHL, but we still took off at DCA and landed and took off at PHL - the experience of landing and taking off at PHL was not fun, with everybody praying for the plane not to crash. And it's quite obvious that the mystic 9351 flight flew DCA-CMH, empty. It is a management mistake rather than weather caused case!
You should be thankful you even got home that night a lot of people did not!! Otherwise are not entitled to anything and shouldn't be either.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 6:49 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Not even close. 9351 is no a passenger flight. Perhaps there were restrictions on getting in/out related to payload or range. Perhaps the funneled everyone to PHL so they could get as many people to CMH as possible. The list goes on. Oh, and spare us the "everyone was praying for the plane not to crash" drama. It's overplayed and frankly inappropriate.

You argument holds ZERO water. it's not a "mistake" by management - it's a solution that got you home on a NASTY NIGHT reasonably close to schedule. Complaints like this are exactly why airlines put up such difficult walls to compensation and frankly make traveling more difficult for the rest of us.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
and frankly make traveling more difficult for the rest of us.
Great I will shut up and stop criticizing.
And Enjoy the fact you may also be delayed for 7 hours for a domestic trip some time in the future, and still be thankful...
Old Mar 3, 2009, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
Oh, and spare us the "everyone was praying for the plane not to crash" drama. It's overplayed and frankly inappropriate.
I do thank GOD for saving my life that night. I did make a mistake by 'everyone' - people like me did tremble seeing the snow and feeling the wind but it was not necessarily scary to people brave like you and there might be a few on board that night.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 7:03 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Great I will shut up and stop criticizing.
And Enjoy the fact you may also be delayed for 7 hours for a domestic trip some time in the future, and still be thankful...
Thank you for doing us the favor. The next time I am fly through an area where most metro areas are getting 10+" of snow, am rerouted when cancellations happen, and STILL get home within 7 hours I'll be happy I didn't get stranded and stuck paying for a hotel. (as you know, WX based cancellations don't get free hotel rooms).

Easy it's not. Reality of the weather situation it is.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by vtmike
getting home 7 hours late after a snow storm doesn't seem too bad to me.
Doesn't seem to bad to me either, especially after I spent 36 hours in december to get from BOS-PDX due to weather then getting stranded for 2 more days trying to get back. All they give me is a E-ACP voucher thats worth about 5-10% off a future flight
Old Mar 3, 2009, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for making me feel better.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:42 pm

The 9# flight may have not had any flight attendants. Probably repositioning the aircraft to be the 1st morning flight out of CMH.

During bad weather keep in mind, AC, Pilots and FAs get all out of schedule. For the airline to start on track the next day they have to juggle crews and planes to get people in place not an easy thing by any means. There are also overnight maintenance issues that are schedule to be done each night at specific stations.
That AC could have been due maintenance another reason no passengers on it.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:06 pm

Programs: US-CP; LQ-G
Ok, we know the airlines can't compensate us for weather, but I've got to acknowledge that landing at PHL onto an icey runway at 6pm on Monday night was pretty freaky.

What was worse was the late declaration at US of special weather conditions and easing of restrictions. If the announcement had been made earlier, people could have made other travel arrangements. It was obvious how bad it was going to be long before the weather problems started.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 6:19 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I do thank GOD for saving my life that night.
Qualified flight crew, engineers that designed the plane, ground support crew etc... surely had nothing to do with your safe flight? Perhaps you should really thank those who really got you safely to your destination in a reasonable time despite severe weather issues. How insulting to those who really worked hard for you and you give credit to something else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.