Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Got a soft landing!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2009, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by me4yankees
I was to be soft landed from Platinum to Gold, but right now I am showing my earned Silver.
How'd you find out that they were soft landing you? You "lucky" dog

I dropped from Plat (which I bought up to last year from Slvr..long story...didn't have to pay myself) to Slver, which I earned easily(unfortunately.)

The travails of being a hub captive...

(BTW--totally agree that it is not strategic to haphazardly offer soft landings, esp. when they're out hawking "pay for status" and offering deals beyond that to those with certain (AMEX) cards. I much prefer the AA system, where you will only drop one level at most, no matter your activity.)
Old Mar 2, 2009, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by goheelswks
How'd you find out that they were soft landing you? You "lucky" dog
I asked US to let me keep Platinum another year and they offered me Gold instead, so I said OK.

While DL is my preferred carrier now, I do fly from an airport with two, soon to be three options, DL, NW, and US. So US has to be my backup airline by default.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 1:42 pm

Programs: Various
No soft landing for me, either. I went from PP to NP (not preferred). I credited 3 flights to US last year, for a total of ~2k miles. No worries - I'll coast off of my husband and daughter's GPs, and enjoy my UA 1k more thoroughly.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: US Airways CP, HH Diamond, National EE
CP to GP

I defected to COntinental in May 2008, was granted Platinum for 2008 with CO and earned Plat for 2009 with ~85K EQM from June-December.

From Jan - May I earned 46K EQM with LCC, therefore earned Silver. I have not flown a flight with LCC since May 08.

Surprised when I received my packet and it was Gold. Not that I anticipate using the status, but it's nice to have in my back pocket until CO joins StarAlliance.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold
From GP to dirt, 10 segs and 18k in January '08, same for my wife. Defected to UA in February '08 and earned Silver on CO, PE on UA. Had to fly US in January, good reminder of why we left.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by me4yankees
The e-mail I received from the DM Service Center. And for what it's worth, I have not received ANY elite packet/card! LOL
No soft landing...CP to Silver...splat (!)

No email to date from DM...at all. The only way I know I am Silver is by logging into us.com

No elite packet/card...

Anyone? Bueller?
Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
No soft landing for me. I went from 2007-CP to 2008-PP to 2009-no status.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 6:36 am

Programs: UA, AA
Silver packet received in the mail yesterday included the explanation "We hope you'll give us another try" or something to that effect.

So they made it clear that it was an intentional soft landing and not a glitch.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 7:49 am

Programs: CO/DL:Gold, UA:PremExec; Marriott:Gold, Hilton:Silver
Originally Posted by PSU Mudder
Silver packet received in the mail yesterday included the explanation "We hope you'll give us another try" or something to that effect.

Ditto...
Old Mar 3, 2009, 7:52 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by PSU Mudder

"As a thank you for your continued loyalty, we would like to offer you Preferred status for the 2009 program year." Is that what you got? It sure sounds like "give us another try". I went from Plat to Silver.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:55 am

Programs: CO/DL:Gold, UA:PremExec; Marriott:Gold, Hilton:Silver
Originally Posted by bitburgr
"As a thank you for your continued loyalty, we would like to offer you Preferred status for the 2009 program year." Is that what you got? It sure sounds like "give us another try". I went from Plat to Silver.
Mine said: "As a thank you for your continued loyalty, and in the hopes of winning you back as a loyal customer, we would like to offer you Preferred status for the 2009 program year."

Bolding mine
Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:16 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I dropped from Platinum to Gold, but I actually earned the Gold last year.

I have only flown one US flight this year, and expect to fly maybe 2 more, if that.

Will be interesting to see what they do with my status next year.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:09 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by FreqFlyerPhil
Mine said: "As a thank you for your continued loyalty, and in the hopes of winning you back as a loyal customer, we would like to offer you Preferred status for the 2009 program year."

Bolding mine
That's exactly what mine said.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 7:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List
No soft landing for me. 2007 CP -- 2008 GP -- 2009 DP (Dirt Preferred).
I guess I can't complain, since I flew a total of two segments on US last year. (There was simply no other way to get from ALB to PIT when I needed to in a hurry.)
So, when I burn through those last few miles, that will be it for me and US. It was fun while the good times lasted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.