Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Previous engine stall on 1549?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2009, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Previous engine stall on 1549?

I was flipping through the channels when I saw Bill O'Reilly talking about a previous stall of the engine(s) on Flt 1549 two days prior to the Hudson Miracle. Now, considering the source, I did some internet searching and found two articles, one of which is linked below. Is there anything to this? It seems one thought is that this could have weakened the engines making it more susceptible to stalling during a bird strike. I was just curious why I had never seen anything on here about this!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/01/21/plane.investigation/
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:16 pm

Programs: None
It was discussed in the thread on the accident, but you can be forgiven for missing it since it was 59 pages into the thread before those reports surfaced.

First post discussing earlier compressor stall

Jim
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:23 pm

I should have added that the NTSB is investigating - maintenance was performed on the engine in question after the earlier compressor stall but I don't know if they've interviewed the pilot involved yet. I'd almost guarantee that it'll be something they'll be looking at when the engines are taken apart at the manufacturer.

Jim
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:54 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
A compressor stall is not the same thing as an "engine stall" in a car. It is a momentary disruption in airflow through the compressor section of the engine due to an incompatibility between the rotational speed of the fan and the speed at which the air in entering the engine. It can be caused by factors either internal or external to the engine.

Jet engines do not continue to run after ingesting a goose. Doesn't matter what condition they were in before the goose ingestion.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Jet engines do not continue to run after ingesting a goose. Doesn't matter what condition they were in before the goose ingestion.
It is possible for a jet engine to continue to run after ingesting a goose. Particularly if it only hits the bypass section (the outer part of the large fan that you see at the front of the engine) rather than entering the engine core. If a bird as large as a goose enters the core, however, it likely is toast.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
It is possible for a jet engine to continue to run after ....
In a sense, it's luck. NW had a 747 lose an engine after sucking in a 28 ounce bird - less than 2 pounds. Other times, engines have continued running after ingesting 6-8 pound birds.

Jim
Old Jan 27, 2009, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
In a sense, it's luck. NW had a 747 lose an engine after sucking in a 28 ounce bird - less than 2 pounds. Other times, engines have continued running after ingesting 6-8 pound birds.

Jim
I've seen video of a man sucked into a jet engine and survived. Talking about luck!
Old Jan 27, 2009, 6:13 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
It is possible for a jet engine to continue to run after ingesting a goose.
Sure, anything is possible, but when an adult goose goes through the fan section it's going to cause a lot of damage. I wouldn't expect it to continue producing any significant amount of power even if the bird misses the core.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 7:32 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver.
What generally causes a compressor stall?

I have only heard of one occurrence and it was an article in Flyling Magazine that I read. They reported that a flight crew was ferrying a CRJ with no passengers onboard and they decided to play rocket man and see how fast they could climb to FL40. Unfortunately they were unable to recover and crashed killing both the pilot and FO.

How common are compressor stalls and what generally causes them?
Old Jan 27, 2009, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Sure, anything is possible, but when an adult goose goes through the fan section it's going to cause a lot of damage. I wouldn't expect it to continue producing any significant amount of power even if the bird misses the core.
It really depends on the engine type. There's some good footage floating around showing 777 engine bird ingestion tests showing birds going through the fan. Basically you get a bit of vibration and flexing in the blades and that's it. Wide chord fan blades make a big difference. Admittedly, they were somewhat smaller birds (chickens IIRC), but they were frozen.

Some neat footage here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-xnIMuZBlQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSafRuLB0c0

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; Jan 27, 2009 at 8:25 pm
Old Jan 27, 2009, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by coswellnc
How common are compressor stalls and what generally causes them?
Pretty uncommon, at least for the more pronounced ones. Wikipedia has a pretty good description:

Wikipedia

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.