Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Report: Missed Connection (almost)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2009, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Trip Report: Missed Connection (almost)

Was scheduled PWM-PHL-PHX on 1/25, with a 1 hour connection time in PHL. Received a call from US saying my PWM-PHL flight was running late (don't know why), but to check in on time just in case they could make up the time (the aircraft had not yet left it's origin). Phone rep said they didn't think I'd miss my connection unless the delay became later, but they held a seat on the later PHL-PHX flight for me, just in case.

When I checked in at the kiosk in PWM, it said to see an agent. The agent said he thought I'd make the connection, and gave me boarding passes on my original flight. We left PWM almost 40 min late.

Arrived PHL at :40, but it took a few min for the jetway. The PHX flight was at :05, so I had less than 25 min to get from Gate F999 (or so it seemed) to B4. F/A asked folks to wait for those who had close conx to get off first, which folks did.

As I deplaned, an agent asked for connecting pax and had a boarding pass on the later PHX flight. I thought I could make it to the other gate, so I headed off. Arriving at F10, the B/C/D shuttle was just about to leave, so I hopped on. In 5 min, we were at the stop by C and I headed out to B, taking the moving walkway and walking briskly. Arriving at B4 at :55 (10 min before departure), everyone had boarded. Gave the agent my BP and she said "I was just looking for you" and I went on board and took my assigned exit window.

PA system onboard was messed up. Couldn't understand what the crew was saying as they did their demo...it was just a lot of noise/feedback. Bought the meal (turkey sandwich $7) and a drink (bottled water $2) and paid with my credit card. Was glad to have my MyVu to watch movies on my flight home, which took an extra hour due to headwinds.

Pleased with the call, pleased with the PWM-PHL F/A, pleased they had a BP for me ready on arrival in PHL (even though I didn't need it, but I would have needed it if I hadn't hustled). They did a good job dealing with the delay.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
^

This type of experience is what builds loyalty. I'm glad that US came through for you.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
Great report and great job to US! If it ran like this every time and not just when US felt like it, we would have a good airline again!
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Did you check any bags? And if so, did they make the connection?
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Avis President's Club
I'm surprised you got on. In similar situations I have had my original BP cancelled and even though I could have made the flight at the very last second, my seat was already gone. There must have been no more standbys looking to get on the plane.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by SS255
^

This type of experience is what builds loyalty. I'm glad that US came through for you.

+1^^
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K; CO Plat; Hilton Dimond; Marriott 3/3
It's very surprising the OP got a call about a flight running late. In my history with US, I'd gotten exactly 1 call from them about a canceled flight.

Is this a new thing? Or a hit-or-miss?

Otherwise, sounds like great job by US in PHL.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:42 am
Original Poster

No checked bags, only a Chrome Bike Messenger bag, which fit in the overhead on the Express (Air Wisconsin) CRJ. Gotta love small carry-on's!
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
^ Glad everything worked out for you.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 2:14 pm

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mike_one2many
It's very surprising the OP got a call about a flight running late. In my history with US, I'd gotten exactly 1 call from them about a canceled flight.

Is this a new thing? Or a hit-or-miss?

Otherwise, sounds like great job by US in PHL.
I would say hit or miss. I've had it happen once flying LAX-PHL via LAS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.