Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone ever been upgraded to Envoy for free?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2009, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Spire, Hertz President Circle
Anyone ever been upgraded to Envoy for free?

Flying across the pond in a few weeks and really not interested in paying the $500 each way for me and the Mrs. to sit up front. Anyone ever sweet talked their way up front? Just got lucky? Any Tips? Do some FA's pluck preferreds from coach if empty seats in F? Nice club agents?

Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 9:56 am

Programs: US2,SPG Gold,Delta Silver,Hilton Gold
You chances are virtually nil of getting a "free" upgrade into Envoy. I have been in an oversell situation where I have gotten an op-up based on status when the GA needed coach seats to avoid bumping passengers. Most recently on CLT-FRA in December.

This time of year most European flights are not full so the chance of on oversell is small. The GA in MYR will have not have the ability to upgrade you on the TA flight. This will need to be done at the gate at CLT or PHL.

US would rather fly out an empty Envoy cabin rather than provide a comp upgrade to an Elite.

Good luck!
Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:33 am

My experience mirrors that of OrlandoFlyBoy. US won't upgrade to Envoy "just because" but if coach is oversold they will op-up based on status. In addition, if you happen to have any MCO or other dollar vouchers (eg delayed baggage or Customer Relations), in the past I have been able to use these towards the GoEnvoy fee.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:38 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Slim to none.

My gf and I tried for the UG last year for PHL to Paris. We even had a super-friendly TA who was totally into the fact that we were going to celebrate my gf's birthday. She even said that she's love to UG us, but she couldn't. Same with the GA. And the flight was no more than half full.

Can't hurt to try, but don't hold your breath!
Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:43 am

It has only ever happened to me in an oversold Y situation but you never know. Ok, really, we do know I was just trying to cheer you up.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:50 am

Once, flying PHL/CDG, I was in F and Mr b1513 was in Y. I asked the FA if he could buy up if there are any seats left. One guy missed the flight and my husband got a battlefield UG.

Bobette
Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:54 am

Programs: US1
I have been a few times going from PHL FRA and PHL LGW this past December. US was in an oversold situation in the back and they had many available seats up front. I was moved up front on both r/t flights.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:57 am

During the first summer of US service to MXP, the station manager in MXP was upgrading elites (including me) to Envoy. The flight was not oversold. This was an award ticket.

That said, I have not seen Envoy upgrades "just because" in any other circumstances.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 1:17 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
During an oversale, they will do it preemptively.

Absent that, I managed it at GLA. Once.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 4:53 pm

Programs: US CP
All my recent US-UK flights except the last one a few weeks ago have flown with Envoy full, while coach has had a lot of open seats.

I think there are a lot of takers for the $500 upgrade.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
I was upgraded between PHL-CDG both ways with a companion (as CP and Gold) in March 2005 on Y award tickets, pre-merger, due to an oversold situation in Y.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 5:17 pm

Yes. FRA-PHL August 2007. I was gold; wife was silver. There were long lines at the gate check-in, but the flight was not oversold. Gate agent upgraded us both. I was polite and friendly, but I didn't ask for anything special. I would have given the agent some A&B certs, but she said they weren't USAirways employees and they didn't apply to them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.