Wiki Posts
Search

US Air and Skis

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
US Air and Skis

All my flying has been on AA so this will be my 1st US Air flight. Any problem with taking along skis? (as long as they are not overweight?) They'll be in a ski bag.
Thanks

And before someone says it... No, not as a carry on.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:10 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Baggage policies

Special Items

Code:
Ski equipment

Ski equipment may be accepted in the normal baggage allowance in lieu 
of a piece of baggage. US Airways will accept 2 ski bags, however, 1 
item of ski equipment consists of 1 pair of skis or snowboard, 1 pair of 
ski boots, 1 pair of ski poles and 1 pair of ski bindings.

The passenger must provide acceptable encasement/packaging for the 
ski equipment, such as fiberglass or cloth bag to protect the ski equipment 
and to prevent damage to other bags. (US Airways may provide plastic 
ski bags if available). If the ski equipment is not properly packaged/
protected, the customer assumes all risk of damage.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 1:11 pm

Programs: None
Add this from the "New Baggage Policy FAQs":

Will skis and golf clubs be assessed the $15 first checked bag fee or the $25 second checked bag fee?

Yes and these items may be subject to oversize or overweight fees as well.

From the "oversized baggage fees" chart:

Oversized bags

Each bag greater than 62 in/157 cm will be subject to a fee. Total dimensions for checked bags may not exceed 80 in/203 cm (length + width + height).

Checked bag dimensions / Fee per bag
Less than 62 in/157 cm / Standard fee applies
62-80 in/157-203 cm / $100
Over 80 in/203 cm / Send via Sports Express or other commercial shipper

You'll probably be hard pressed to find adult skis that are less than 62" in overall dimension (L+H+W), so expect an oversize baggage fee.

Jim
Old Dec 15, 2008, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

That's what I was thinking when I saw that. Never was an issue on AA. Even these days with shorter skis, no one I knew goes THAT short.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Add this from the "New Baggage Policy FAQs":

Will skis and golf clubs be assessed the $15 first checked bag fee or the $25 second checked bag fee?

Yes and these items may be subject to oversize or overweight fees as well.

From the "oversized baggage fees" chart:

Oversized bags

Each bag greater than 62 in/157 cm will be subject to a fee. Total dimensions for checked bags may not exceed 80 in/203 cm (length + width + height).

Checked bag dimensions / Fee per bag
Less than 62 in/157 cm / Standard fee applies
62-80 in/157-203 cm / $100
Over 80 in/203 cm / Send via Sports Express or other commercial shipper

You'll probably be hard pressed to find adult skis that are less than 62" in overall dimension (L+H+W), so expect an oversize baggage fee.

Jim
Here's what I am wondering... Total bag dimension can't exceed 80"? Correct? If my ski bag measures 15 inches around and 65" long, then I'd be O.K. right?
Old Dec 15, 2008, 2:21 pm

If it is 65" long with a circumference of 15" I'd say you'll have no problems....
Old Dec 15, 2008, 7:22 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by pkerr
If my ski bag measures 15 inches around and 65" long, then I'd be O.K. right?
That's the way I read it - if the 15" is circumference and the length is no more than 65" then the L+W+H should be less than 80". Unless you can get it down to less than 62" total dimension looks like $100 for the oversize bag plus the normal baggage fees.

I didn't copy it, but there's also language about a "set of skis" equating to 1 set of skis, bindings, boots, and poles. I assume that this means that they don't have to be in the same bag to count as 1 set of skis and 1 bag of your allowance.

Jim
Old Dec 15, 2008, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Correct as skis and boots counting as one. AA has 110" policy for skis which makes it much more doable. If you are limited to 80" then that pretty much prevents skis from shipping. My skis WITHOUT a bag are 68". Add the bulk of a bag with stuff in it and it goes way over.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 7:08 am

You can bet that whatever method of determining the 80" maximum that benefits US Airways most will be the one used.

If I had skis or oversized bags I'd find a different carrier as US as a company is untrustworthy and their words, whether in print or verbal lack credibility.

US is LPC = Led by a Putz Carrier
Old Dec 16, 2008, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
So has anyone flown with skis recently? I have a trip planned in January and hadn't budgeted $100 to ship each pair of skis.

185cm long and even 4" wide in each dimension puts me over 203cm, meaning I can't even fly with them at all? And since skis + boots = 1 piece, do I need to add up all 6 dimensions? My kids' gear wouldn't even make the 203cm limit that way.

I've flown with skis on US multiple times and never had any problems. Under these new policies, are skis now a non-shippable item on USAirways?
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by CPRich
So has anyone flown with skis recently? I have a trip planned in January and hadn't budgeted $100 to ship each pair of skis.

185cm long and even 4" wide in each dimension puts me over 203cm, meaning I can't even fly with them at all? And since skis + boots = 1 piece, do I need to add up all 6 dimensions? My kids' gear wouldn't even make the 203cm limit that way.

I've flown with skis on US multiple times and never had any problems. Under these new policies, are skis now a non-shippable item on USAirways?
I started a different thread about checking skis and just called US. The agent said skis are not subject to oversize fees but are subject to overweight fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.