Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Ask The Flight Attendant Thread!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2010, 11:31 am

Programs: USA Dividend miles soon to be AAdvantage
Originally Posted by flight62
Thanks. Planning a trip to Miami to enjoy the sun and relax. I have learned a lot through this journey and feel it will make me a better f/a. I'm enjoying the Holidays off, although I miss the lights of London, Frankfurt, and Paris this time of year.

I have to say, for all the criticism I sometimes give to US Airways and management, EVERYONE has been nothing but helpful and caring through this entire process. InFact, after dropping 60 pounds, my uniforms were huge as you can imagine. I just went to get a new one fit and the company is covering it.

I feel blessed!
US Air has been good to me also in the past with special care and arrangements during special health needs.

New uniforms! Spiffy!

Enjoy your time in Miami. At this time in Europe, (snow, sleet and cold) I will be envious!
Old Dec 9, 2010, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Chairman US Air, four million miles Delta and F.C., Plat Prem Marriott, Marquis Jet," Air America
Are there any members of "The Turtle Club" still flying?
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
flt62, glad you are doing so well. Quite frankly I'd missed you here but didn't know you had been ill. Will keep you in my prayers.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 1:24 pm

flight62 sorry to hear you have been dealing with health issues.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:31 am

I should have posted this here . ok

Is a shaver like gilette fusion allowed in carry on ?
many thx
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by 2stepsahead
I should have posted this here . ok

Is a shaver like gilette fusion allowed in carry on ?
many thx
I have travelled every week for the past three years with a razor in my carry on without so much as a raised eyebrow and yes, it's a Gilette Fusion as it happens!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:42 pm
Suspended

A few days ago I posted a question about Y passengers puting their luggage in F overhead bins. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-overhead.html) I was curious if it was actually a policy that F bins were only for F passengers. ½ the respondents said it was like the “dress code” and was a policy that some F passengers wished existed, but didn’t and others said that there were often stickers saying that the space was reserved for F. So I figured this would be a good place to ask:

Is there a an official policy on US that says F bins are for F passengers only? Is it left the FA to determine? If it is up to the FA, what criteria do you use to make your decision? Thanks.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 3:40 pm

I travel every week and less then half the times to we get a pre-flight offer for a beverage. I think it is laziness...I love USAir, but that is my take...
Old Jan 12, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by charconnect
I travel every week and less then half the times to we get a pre-flight offer for a beverage. I think it is laziness...I love USAir, but that is my take...
First off - welcome to FT!

I'm not a flight attendant. I am a passenger and here is my take: I think 1 out of every 10 flights when a PDB is not offered, it could be but the FA's are close enough to departure time and decide not to offer one. This could be classified as laziness.

The other 9 times out of 10 I think there is a legit reason. There are MANY items on the FA checklist that must be addressed or taken care of prior to offering a PDB. Those tasks have priority and by the time they are accomplished, there is likely no time left to offer a PDB. Note that there is zero correlation between the time they board the FC cabin and the items on the checklist.

I've always accepted a PDB as a likely perk but not one that is promised for every flight.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 4:03 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by geo1005
I've always accepted a PDB as a likely perk but not one that is promised for every flight.
+1. Although I may be getting spoiled. I've been upgraded 25 times since mid-August...PDBs 23 out of 25 (and 100% in the last 20).
Old Jan 12, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by geo1005
First off - welcome to FT!

I'm not a flight attendant. I am a passenger and here is my take: I think 1 out of every 10 flights when a PDB is not offered, it could be but the FA's are close enough to departure time and decide not to offer one. This could be classified as laziness.

The other 9 times out of 10 I think there is a legit reason. There are MANY items on the FA checklist that must be addressed or taken care of prior to offering a PDB. Those tasks have priority and by the time they are accomplished, there is likely no time left to offer a PDB. Note that there is zero correlation between the time they board the FC cabin and the items on the checklist.

Well said!
I'm also not a FA but I can add: alcohol cannot be served on the ground in some areas (MCO is one but I can't remember if this is an Orlando-specific restriction or all of Florida). I also seem to recall a discussion about PDB's on one specific aircraft-- I want to say it's the A320 but I could be wrong-- at any rate, the number of FA's is such that there is not an FA available for PDB service. They are all assigned to doing other duties.

Flying from DCA I get a PDB about 50-75% of the time. But we often board late and fast, and I'd rather have an on-time departure than an extra cocktail.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by dcpatti
...alcohol cannot be served on the ground in some areas (MCO is one but I can't remember if this is an Orlando-specific restriction or all of Florida).

Flying from DCA I get a PDB about 50-75% of the time. But we often board late and fast, and I'd rather have an on-time departure than an extra cocktail.
Just MCO. I got PDB on FLL-PHX.

Oh, and they can pushback 2-3 minutes late if need be.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 7:30 pm

It's actually state wide for Florida, sounds like someone forgot.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: US UA AA DL CO
Too much fuel

I recently flew from Calgary to Phoenix, and before the plane took off, it parked at the end of runway for about 10 minutes, with the engines running faster than idle. The captain made an announcement that they loaded too much fuel and would be too heavy to land in Phoenix, so they were burning off some of the extra.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? I'm wondering if it was the fueler's fault, or did they make a mistake on calculations? Wondering who gets fired or reprimanded for it?

Also we landed early in Phoenix (guess they flew faster), but still had to wait for the gate to open.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by Tucker501
I recently flew from Calgary to Phoenix, and before the plane took off, it parked at the end of runway for about 10 minutes, with the engines running faster than idle. The captain made an announcement that they loaded too much fuel and would be too heavy to land in Phoenix, so they were burning off some of the extra.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? I'm wondering if it was the fueler's fault, or did they make a mistake on calculations? Wondering who gets fired or reprimanded for it?

Also we landed early in Phoenix (guess they flew faster), but still had to wait for the gate to open.
Could have been a number of things: last minute cargo, miscalculation, fueler asleep at the switch, who knows...

I've had to wait for a gate for lots of reasons too, so if it just happened to you once, that's lucky. Coming home DEN-IAD on UA we sat for about 4 hours waiting for a gate as there was an ice storm bearing down. Nobody was taking off so nobody was opening any gate space for us. What made it worse was, at the time IAD did all de-icing at the gate, so you'd have to wait for the plane to be de-iced before they'd taxi out and free up a gate, and a lot of them that night would de-ice, miss their departure window, and have to request another de-icing treatment. This was a couple of years ago and I hear that Dulles has since gotten a de-icing pad but still really dislike going through there in the winter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.