Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why two flights within 1 min of each other on a Saturday to DAY?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2008, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Why two flights within 1 min of each other on a Saturday to DAY?

On April 5 there is a non-stop from PHL to DAY at 1:35 and another at 1:36

Both CRJs

Why?

My only guess is its a PSA flight and its going to the maintenance facility in DAY for routine maintenance. But I second guess this, as my thought would be they'd do this at a busier time than Saturday afternoon.

I did ask an agent on the phone and she said "nope, not a glitch, must be a lot of people getting out of Philadelphia that day."
Old Mar 3, 2008, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by PHLflying
On April 5 there is a non-stop from PHL to DAY at 1:35 and another at 1:36

Both CRJs

Why?
Sounds like maybe US is starting "dual-op" flights on the east coast now. They've been running dual-ops from PHX to LAX & SAN for many years. It can be confusing, especially on day of departure at the airport. Inevitably, people show up at the wrong gate. Lately though they've been running the dual-ops from near-by gates. That helps... a bit.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 5:51 pm

Programs: VX unless destination indicates otherwise (damn hippieanarchistville--EUG--and PHX)
If US is doing dual-ops why would they do them on CRJ's? Why not upgrade to a bigger airliner?
Old Mar 4, 2008, 1:56 pm

About a year ago I was flying DCA-PHL. There were 2 planes leaving at the same time from gates next to each other boarding at the same time. People were getting on the wrong plane and had to get off when they saw someone already in their seat. It was chaos.

Bobette
Old Mar 4, 2008, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
I find it amusing that US also complains about "air traffic congestion" in the North East as one of the many reasons on why their operation suffers.

Surely two RJ's within 1 minute of each other from PHL - DAY wouldn't contribute to that.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 2:52 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
It is probably because they can't get anything but a crj on the route.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 3:03 pm

Programs: US - Platinum, HHonors - Diamond
Originally Posted by Jim_F
Sounds like maybe US is starting "dual-op" flights on the east coast now. They've been running dual-ops from PHX to LAX & SAN for many years. It can be confusing, especially on day of departure at the airport. Inevitably, people show up at the wrong gate. Lately though they've been running the dual-ops from near-by gates. That helps... a bit.

They also do it from PHX to LAS, as I found out 3 weeks ago. Got on the wrong plane and someone was in my 1C. Funniest part was, it was a friend of mine and we were both headed to the same conference.

No worries though, I just went to the next concourse and got on the right plane. Glad I was boarding first so I didn't have to run. I did tease the gate agent for letting me get on the wrong plane.

Dean
Old Mar 4, 2008, 3:10 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by prismwiz
If US is doing dual-ops why would they do them on CRJ's? Why not upgrade to a bigger airliner?
Because they don't have one, most likely. Two CRJs are 100 seats; US has very few E190s.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 3:23 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
They do this for the same reason they run "wingtip" flights out west--lack of proper aircraft.

As was pointed out, since US retired the F-100 and DC-9, there has been a hole in capacity between the E-170/175 and the 737-300 that's just starting to be filled by E-190s.

They could probably fill a 767 between LAS and PHX at peak times, but prefer to fly a pair o' airbii. Again--they don't have the aircraft for the mission, so you double 'em up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.