Wiki Posts
Search

Done with "the club"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2008, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, AA-S, HH-G, MR-P
Thumbs down Done with "the club"

After 5 years of being a loyal US Airways Club devotee, I am done.

My membership expired on March First and I decided not to renew.

I had this epiphany while walking through the PHL B/C club last week and going to sit down in the chair pictured in the link below.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/1644/img0198nl9.jpg

I thought to myself, why am I doing this?
So I decided not to.

See you at the food court,
Jordie
Old Mar 2, 2008, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Yuck!

I'd join UA RCC for access to RCC and other US lounges when flying US... or better yet, join a SkyTeam lounge and use the small, clean, neat DL CRC in PHL (in A) and the other clean, nice, free Internet, free adult beverage SkyTeam lounges in other airports.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 1:29 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
That looks like it belongs in an employee break room by the ramp instead of the club.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 2:11 pm

I too allowed my club membership to expire on Feb 29, 2008

I decided not to renew my US Air Club Membership for a variety of reasons, poor upkeep of the faciliites being lower on the list than for many. I had both US Air and Continental Club Memberships for the past few years. They cost about the same, I think CO is $10 more, but I really don't remember.

So I decided to compare the clubs for 1 year and only renew one the next year. Well, CO was the clear winner. Too many reasons to list here. I'm done with US. While their marketing and PR department may not be clear, it is obvious to me I no longer fit their demongraphic. They are seeking the budget traveler whose sole purchase criteria is price.

Good luck, US, I wish you all the best. I don't see the logic in your plan, but that does not mean you can't claim it. I will direct my travel dollars to those airlines who value me as a customer. I travel about 40-45 weeks a year. Appearantly not enough money for uS. Perfectly fine for CO and UA.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 3:10 pm

PLUS, (this has been written about before) that's the club that smells like vomit. I won't go in there again unless they start some deep-cleaning. They should be ashamed of the condition of that furniture, considering the cost of the membership, and the way they tout the club.

"The US Airways Club is an airport oasis for the busy traveler, featuring all the amenities of a business center and all the comforts of home..."
Old Mar 2, 2008, 3:19 pm

US Airways/LCC

Let's not forget, the new US Airways stock symbol is 'LCC' for Low Cost Carrier. I hardly think replacing Club Room furniture would be a high priority for a Low Cost Carrier.

I've given up all my airport club memberships. I think they're over-priced for you get in return. I'm sure I'm not alone.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, AA-S, HH-G, MR-P
featuring all the amenities of a business center and all the comforts of home..."
I suppose it all depends upon whose home...
The smell of vomit and ripped furnishings is definitely home for some.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by jimcfsus
That looks like it belongs in an employee break room by the ramp instead of the club.
No, employees do not deserve such filth, wear, and tear! It belongs in a DUMP!
Old Mar 2, 2008, 3:29 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by pdx42
I hardly think replacing Club Room furniture would be a high priority for a Low Cost Carrier.
If that is, indeed, management's position, then they should outright shutter all of their clubs as the leases come due. To continue to aggressively market and sell memberships to what is positioned as an "exclusive oasis" of serenity and comfort is flat out bait & switch. If there is no plan to tend carefully to the quality of the clubs' environs, then I can't imagine too many folks opting to renew their US Club memberships. Why pay several hundred dollars to have the privilege of "relaxing" in a place that looks like a dump?

I have a membership to DL's Crown Room and I find them to be consistently maintained, well staffed and have never seen ratty furnishings like US has now. (I will admit, however, that the Crown Room in SAN is entirely too small.)
Old Mar 2, 2008, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by jordieboy
I suppose it all depends upon whose home...
The smell of vomit and ripped furnishings is definitely home for some.
Yes...frat boys! (but the frat boys probably don't charge people $310-390 to come in and soak up the atmosphere :-) or, if they do charge...you probably at least get beer at no extra charge while you're there!
Old Mar 2, 2008, 3:35 pm

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
In actuality, LCC stands for Low Class Carrier...there is nothing low cost ..or low fare for that matter about this airline.

That said, the club conditions are in fact deplorable. Compounding that is the fact that many of the Club "Angels" have moved on, or just plain left...

As there is no longer any value to the equation, I let my club membership run out in September. In January I got a phone call from US Airways asking me if I was interested in re-signing....I said no thank you. The agent asked why...

My answer?

I am sorry I don't fly US Airways any more.

Duh.....

I am enjoying the Admirals Club, Presidents Clubs, Northwest Clubs and Delta Crown Rooms, courtesy of AMEX...more than I need.

Best regards!
Old Mar 2, 2008, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Hey, I have a similar picture of a chair at one of UA's Dirt...ehm.. Red Carpet Clubs !

Take a look at UA's RCC DEN East chairs here:

Go on, renew the US Air Club - my UA chair is worse !
Old Mar 2, 2008, 5:46 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by jimcfsus

The ramp wouldn't want that thing
Old Mar 2, 2008, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Hey, I have a similar picture of a chair at one of UA's Dirt...ehm.. Red Carpet Clubs !

Take a look at UA's RCC DEN East chairs here:

Go on, renew the US Air Club - my UA chair is worse !
Not to stand up for UA's RCCs too strongly since they still lack much of what other airline's clubs offer, but they did re-upholster all the chairs in the DEN RCCs recently.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 6:58 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
The ramp wouldn't want that thing
Maybe not the ramp in CLT... but it would fit in at PHL!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.