Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Soft Landing - or hit the ground at terminal velocity?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Soft Landing - or hit the ground at terminal velocity?

OK, so tomorrow all of us former elites who have left for greener pastures will find out our fate. In my case, will I drop from CP to Platinum? Or Gold? Or Silver? Or <gasp> No Status at All?

Come back tomorrow and find out. Others are welcome to post their experience as well.

I logged 13,176 preferred miles in 2007. My guess is they will make me Silver or No Status At All.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
If you aren't flying US anymore and have moved your travel to another airline, truthfully what does it matter what status you have?

For those of us still sticking it out with US, shouldn't we get preference for an F seat, rather than the former-CP who is flying US once during the year due to a scheduling glitch?

Personally, I'd rather see a full-fledged Silver (25k+ miles last year, and on his way this year) get that F seat than someone who rarely flies US anymore.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 11:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Just bizarre

Originally Posted by gardener
OK, so tomorrow all of us former elites who have left for greener pastures will find out our fate. In my case, will I drop from CP to Platinum? Or Gold? Or Silver? Or <gasp> No Status at All?
I find it so strange (ok, well, truthfully, given that it is US we're talking about, not all that strange) that you, and others, are one day away from your current status expiring and you have no idea what your level will be come tomorrow.

I have a friend who was CP and flew about 72K in '07. He has no idea whether they are moving him to Platinum, or are drawing a hard line and moving him down to Gold. He has received no new card, no letter, no e-mail -- nothing.

He's trying to decide whether he'll take advantage of the 250,000 Dividend Miles upgrade program so that he can be Platinum. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I find it so strange (ok, well, truthfully, given that it is US we're talking about, not all that strange) that you, and others, are one day away from your current status expiring and you have no idea what your level will be come tomorrow.
Yup. I went from multi-year CP to 48K last year (although actually only 40690 shows in my final statement...2 flights didn't credit and I haven't made the effort to get them to.) Here we are hours from the end and I have no clue what status I'll have tomorrow. It's kinda exciting in a warped way...I can't wait to log in tomorrow morning and see how kind the sandcastle has decided to be.

And to aztimm, one reason why *I* care is that I've been depleting my account by booking award travel, and would like to have some status (and preferably *G) on those trips just in case.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:46 pm

Programs: Continental: Platinum, US Air: Platinum; Marriott: Gold
Originally Posted by shell nyc
And to aztimm, one reason why *I* care is that I've been depleting my account by booking award travel, and would like to have some status (and preferably *G) on those trips just in case.
I thought that status didn't matter on award travel. There was no chance of upgrades, etc. Was I misled?
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:47 pm

Well I should be dropping from gold to nothing based off last years travel. I think I hit around 25k miles. Tomorrow will tell. THIS YEAR I will hit CP no problem probably even hit it twice. Maybe they need another level?

The funny thing is I have like 24 flights 49 segments already bought for March on US and I got an upgrade notice this morning for my flight on monday? On Monday I will be dirt but sitting up front?

CPTANGO
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by msimone
I thought that status didn't matter on award travel. There was no chance of upgrades, etc. Was I misled?
Maybe he values the preboarding???? just a guess
Old Feb 29, 2008, 1:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by cptango
On Monday I will be dirt but sitting up front?

CPTANGO
Was just skimming posts on the UA board, and posters had indicated that those who fall below UA status levels (aka dirt), will be moved from E+ to E when their system does an automatic sweep. This assumes they were able to book E+ when they had status, and would be falling from a status level between when they booked and when they fly. It was predicted that the UA system would do one tonight/tomorrow morning just to catch those who fall from status.

In an ideal world, the US system would do something similar. Realistically, I'd say enjoy your F upgrade.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by cptango
Well I should be dropping from gold to nothing based off last years travel. I think I hit around 25k miles. Tomorrow will tell. THIS YEAR I will hit CP no problem probably even hit it twice. Maybe they need another level?

The funny thing is I have like 24 flights 49 segments already bought for March on US and I got an upgrade notice this morning for my flight on monday? On Monday I will be dirt but sitting up front?

CPTANGO
How many flights will be in that dead zone of already having achieved silver, but waiting 4 days for the status to update + 2 more days to get a shot at an upgrade at the window?
Old Feb 29, 2008, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by PSU Mudder
How many flights will be in that dead zone of already having achieved silver, but waiting 4 days for the status to update + 2 more days to get a shot at an upgrade at the window?
Ill earn silver March 24th first segment of the day. So my return home on that day plus my flights on the 25th 26th 27th 28th will be the 4 days waiting for my new earned status to update in the system and I wont get my 2 day upgrade shot for the flights on the 31st.

Hopefully April 1st I will at least have a chance of being silver in the system and getting a "shot" at an upgrade.

I understand I dont "deserve" the upgrade for Mondays flight and its still only 50/50 I get to keep it. I personally dont see it as a big deal its just LA to PHX at 3 in the afternoon. Whne I was gold I usually rode in the back and I am sure plenty of times silvers were in first class.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
What I find remarkable, and I think this is a real indictment on the "new" USAirways, is that we're all just kind of resigned to US failing to deliver. Here it is, the start of the new preferred year, and there's still plenty of preferreds without their cards, yet no one is really complaining.

I guess we're all just resigned to half-assed-ness.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by shell nyc
Yup. I went from multi-year CP to 48K last year (although actually only 40690 shows in my final statement...2 flights didn't credit and I haven't made the effort to get them to.) Here we are hours from the end and I have no clue what status I'll have tomorrow. It's kinda exciting in a warped way...I can't wait to log in tomorrow morning and see how kind the sandcastle has decided to be.

Originally Posted by msimone
Having *G status on international trips is quite beneficial. It entitles you to extra luggage, preferred seating on all *A airlines, and gives you international lounge access. There are probably some additional perks I am forgetting.

According to Sandcastle time I have 3hrs 9mins left as Chairmans.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis President; Marriott Platinum
I have about 10 minutes left as a CP and am currently on hold with the CP desk for a messed up award trip. go figure. I will surley miss the CP angels but I have a soft landing to Platinum.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 5:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 *
US got it right for me....GP to SP. Now I've got to change my profile. I was positive they were gonna make a mistake.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 5:41 am

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
CP to zero, and I'm ok with that. After the announcement for the non 500 minimum I called United (same day) for a status match and got Premier Executive status there. So now all of my business will be with United. No doubt I will have to fly US in the future based on where I live, but all of the credit will go to United. At some point I'll have to figure out to do with the 750k miles.

I will miss the CP desk, but I won't miss the crap from US Air.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.