Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's predict what will be next, No miles for discounted tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2008, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
Let's predict what will be next, No miles for discounted tickets?

I am guessing that this will be the next good idea. The idea of only getting miles for that which you fly matches some of the Asia carriers. Getting no miles for discounted tickets would match some of the EU carriers. So I think this may be the next enhancement to the FF flyer program.
What do others think?
Old Feb 17, 2008, 9:45 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
I've said it before (around here I think) but I believe we are about the see the end of "free, unlimited upgrades". I think in the future we'll need some sort of 'instrument' to upgrade (like in the old days back when I was a Priority Gold).
Old Feb 17, 2008, 9:54 am

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Of course this is a good idea:

Surveys will show that DM members have been clamoring for this and and it would be a further enhancement to the rich benefits of the Dividend Miles program.

"We look forward to providing a pleasant flight on your next flight with US Airways."
Old Feb 17, 2008, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum
My guesses:
1. Elimination of domestic first class.
2. Charging extra for exit rows.
3. Charging for sodas/coffee.
4. Closure of all clubs.
5. Allowing regular passengers early boarding for a fee.

HMMMM....that sound....is that the bottom of the barrel being scraped?
Old Feb 17, 2008, 11:39 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA
Originally Posted by swanscn
I am guessing that this will be the next good idea. The idea of only getting miles for that which you fly matches some of the Asia carriers. Getting no miles for discounted tickets would match some of the EU carriers. So I think this may be the next enhancement to the FF flyer program.
What do others think?
Don't give them any ideas! They are doing a bang up job of ruining this airline on their own.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I think the possibilities are endless.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:44 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
My thoughts were on the possiblity of doing away with F/C. But as some one else said possiblities are endless with these clowns.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 1:10 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Let's not give anyone any ideas.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by CLTUSCAPTIVE
My guesses:
4. Closure of all clubs.

Good guesses, but I believe US will just ratchet up the existing devaluations:

1. Higher fuel surcharges;

2. Less availability/higher mileage for award travel; and

3. Higher fees for award travel.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 4:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by CLTUSCAPTIVE
My guesses:
4. Closure of all clubs.

Might as well paint the airplanes orange too, while they're at it.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Cargojon
Might as well paint the airplanes orange too, while they're at it.
easyJet orange?
Old Feb 17, 2008, 5:50 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by me4yankees
easyJet orange?
Skybus orange?
Old Feb 17, 2008, 7:26 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by bitburgr
I've said it before (around here I think) but I believe we are about the see the end of "free, unlimited upgrades". I think in the future we'll need some sort of 'instrument' to upgrade (like in the old days back when I was a Priority Gold).

Why would anyone ever want to "upgrade" into US Halfclass?
Old Feb 17, 2008, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; US Gold; DL Silver
If I had to guess what's next to go, I'd suspect it would be in this order:

1) Elimination of qualification based on segments. US will get rid of that and point out that Delta's program awards status based on miles, not segments (while ignoring the fact that Delta's program still awards 500 minimum miles). When pressed, management will claim it's "unfair" that someone who flies on puddlejumpers between BUF and PHL "can get the same status" as someone who flies paid Envoy tickets between PHL and LGW at the same segment number.

2) Eliminating segment-based mileage and switching to point-to-point based mileage. For instance, if you're flying from BOS to SEA via CLT, they'll award you mileage as though the flight was nonstop from BOS direct to SEA, rather than award the total mileage accrued from BOS to CLT and then CLT to SEA. US will say this is only fair, since the routing shouldn't matter, only the origin and destination. They will point to "cheating customers" who route their itineraries specifically to accrue additional miles and will claim that this practice is so common that US has to put a stop to it.

3) Increasing the miles required to hit various tiers. If I had to guess, it would be Silver at 35,000, Gold at 65,000, Platinum at 80,000, Chairman's at 120,000. US will cite an "unfair number of upgrades" and will talk about the expense of flying around elites who "haven't paid their fair share for first class seats."

4) Reshuffling the accrual of miles in flight. Discount economy tickets will receive half-credit (including EQMs), super-discounted tickets will receive no credit, and the 50% bonus for Envoy and paid first will be eliminated. US will claim that this is in line with British Airways, and that passengers still get a "bonus" for paid first/Envoy because they get 100% mileage credit and not 50%, 25% or 0% like in discounted economy tiers.

Yes, a lot of the reasoning is around "fair," which is pretty funny, since "fair" ain't in the airline dictionary. Most travelers have a choice, something US management is going to learn sooner or later. I suspect they're counting on reallocations, spinoffs/route sales, and consolidation of capacity in the domestic market to allow them to get away with the already announced changes -- since they expect they'll be one of only a few games in town.

Unfortunately for them, I suspect there are some current and future LCCs salivating at the prospect of getting loyal short-haul customers.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 8:01 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by FrequentHopper
2) Eliminating segment-based mileage and switching to point-to-point based mileage. For instance, if you're flying from BOS to SEA via CLT, they'll award you mileage as though the flight was nonstop from BOS direct to SEA, rather than award the total mileage accrued from BOS to CLT and then CLT to SEA. US will say this is only fair, since the routing shouldn't matter, only the origin and destination. They will point to "cheating customers" who route their itineraries specifically to accrue additional miles and will claim that this practice is so common that US has to put a stop to it.
I've long suspected that some miserable carrier might one day dream up the scheme you've outlined above in #2. I hate to comment further for fear that those in the Sandcastle might possibly be reading this thread, but suffice to say that I could imagine this sort of "tightening up" in the days ahead.

One word: ugh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.