Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US seeks BOG-CLT service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2007, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Bogota? Why not Buenos Aires or Sao Paulo?? Or Mendoza!!!
Old Oct 29, 2007, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by SS255
Excellent question! ^
Old Oct 29, 2007, 7:59 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by SS255
No available frequencies to Sao Paulo, and there is no market to Buenos Aires from any US hub.

It is also extremely unlikely that US Airways is going to be awarded the Charlotte-Bogotá route, as there are many airlines asking for only 21 frequencies.

Delta is applying for 14 frequencies (7 for JFK-BOG, 4 for ATL-MDE, and 3 for ATL-CLO), jetBlue is applying for 14 as well (7 each for MCO-BOG and FLL-BOG), and Spirit is applying for 7 (for FLL-BOG; they are also going to start FLL-BAQ, but Barranquilla is "open skies" so they don't need to apply to fly there). Continental is also going to apply, but has not decided for what. United might also apply for Dulles-Bogotá flights.

It is an absolute given that Spirit Airlines is going to be awarded seven frequencies, because they are the reason that these 21 new frequencies are being offered. They lobbied for the increased bilateral, they plan on serving what is the largest USA-Colombia market (that accounts for roughly half of traffic between Bogotá and the United States), they are a player in Latin America, and they will be offering true low-fare service.

It is also very likely, given the combination of the DOT's tendency to award highly competitive slots to new entrants and low fare carriers, that jetBlue will be awarded seven frequencies.

The final pair will likely be given to an airline that is established in the region, most likely Delta as they will bring either a) US flag carrier service to JFK-BOG or b) service to Medellin and Cali. While it is nice to have as many new airlines as possible enter Colombia, it also is nice allowing current airlines to beef up service so that one or two airlines (i.e. Avianca and American, who combined offer 14 daily flights between Miami and Colombia alone) don't dominate while that others can only be smaller players.

Don't hold your breath on this route happening unless the US and Colombia further expand the air treaty (which the U.S. would love to do, but Colombia rather not).
Old Oct 29, 2007, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; US Gold; DL Silver
I'd not be completely surprised if Delta got it, but Delta has also been HUGELY flaky in South America -- charging in, then pulling out, then charging back in again. US probably has more of a sustained presence in the region (but clearly cannot match DL's ability to lobby the feds for goodies, as the merger blow-up showed!)
Old Oct 30, 2007, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by FrequentHopper
I'd not be completely surprised if Delta got it, but Delta has also been HUGELY flaky in South America -- charging in, then pulling out, then charging back in again. US probably has more of a sustained presence in the region (but clearly cannot match DL's ability to lobby the feds for goodies, as the merger blow-up showed!)
Delta might have been flaky (they are not anymore), but US can't have a more sustained presence in the region. US Airways does not fly to South America at all.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 8:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Originally Posted by MAH4546

Don't hold your breath on this route happening unless the US and Colombia further expand the air treaty (which the U.S. would love to do, but Colombia rather not).
Thanks for weighing in - you seem to have a very informed point of view.

This should be an interesting "battle" - I'm looking forward to reading the applications and rebuttals.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 8:24 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by Jumpgate
Latin America is considered part of North America. Therefore, flights to Belize and Costa Rica aren't eligible for *A Gold lounge access.

From the web site:

I wouldn't put it past US to redefine the continental map and try to tell people that Colombia is in North America, but they've already ruined that opportunity by disclosing in this press release that Colombia actually is, in fact, in South America.

They could always revise the club policy.
Maybe they will change it to travel within the Americas
Old Dec 10, 2007, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspubli...ontentType=pdf

Copy of US' submission to the DOT for service to Bogota.

It's proposed to be single plane service, DCA-CLT-BOG.

Last edited by Jumpgate; Dec 10, 2007 at 2:49 pm
Old Mar 5, 2008, 3:53 pm

The application was rejected today. No surprise there.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Talking "No 500-mile minimum, no BOG." So says Karma.

Good. It's nice when karma bites people like Doug in the a$$.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 4:40 pm

Drats...no crazy nonrevenue trips to BOG on an A319!
Old Mar 5, 2008, 4:53 pm

the media in bogota said it would happen.... id like to see a link for this news.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Cltflyer1
the media in bogota said it would happen.... id like to see a link for this news.
...oh nevermind i see it ................we needed it more than delta ever did......ans spirit already has flights starting to columbia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 5, 2008, 9:11 pm

Every airline that applied for service got it except for US and AA.

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...be2bb2ae20.htm

I think people in WAS are just as annoyed at US as we are.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Cltflyer1
...oh nevermind i see it ................we needed it more than delta ever did......ans spirit already has flights starting to columbia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
US Airways can fly to Cartagena tomorrow if they decide to. Cartagena is Open Skies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.