Wiki Posts
Search

"Matching" status with US

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2007, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton-Gold, Marriot-Silver, UA-Premier
"Matching" status with US

Very basic question here. I predominantly fly US but have had the miles credited to UA. I achieved Silver status based on the # of segments flown. Now that those miles have been used for a free trip, I prefer to let future miles accumulate in US DM. Is there a way that I can request "matching status" with US based on what I achieved with UA? I sent US an email but have heard nothing back. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 5:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I don't know if US will match UA, as many (most?) *A airlines will not match other *A airlines. You might have better luck in the US forum - a moderator will move this if you ask (use the "Report Bad or Misplaced Post" icon).
Old Sep 13, 2007, 10:27 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I'll move this to US as you may get more answers there.

Markie - Co-Mod *A
Old Sep 13, 2007, 11:12 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Emory
Very basic question here. I predominantly fly US but have had the miles credited to UA. I achieved Silver status based on the # of segments flown. Now that those miles have been used for a free trip, I prefer to let future miles accumulate in US DM. Is there a way that I can request "matching status" with US based on what I achieved with UA? I sent US an email but have heard nothing back. Thanks for any help you can provide.
I am not sure if they are still matching, and whether they match with UA, but there is a "Try Preferred status on for size" promo that runs through Sept. 30, 2007 where you can buy 90-day trial status, and if you fly a certain number of segments or miles during that period, you get to keep the status you bought.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond
I tried recently to get a match with US based on my UA 1P status. There's a thread on this board somewhere about it. In any case, I was flatly denied and pointed to the "Try preferred status on for size" promo. According to the DM service center, they're not giving complimentary matches to anyone anymore. Whether this is true or not, who knows, and your experience may vary.

FWIW, other than the chance of a free upgrade, it makes more sense to credit your US flying to your UA 2P account. You get virtually all of the other elite benefits and get a better mileage bonus to boot.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by thecortex
I tried recently to get a match with US based on my UA 1P status. There's a thread on this board somewhere about it. In any case, I was flatly denied and pointed to the "Try preferred status on for size" promo. According to the DM service center, they're not giving complimentary matches to anyone anymore.
Not only do they not want their own elites...they don't want anyone else's, either.

To the OP...it's probably worth a shot to request a status match. You'd think US would salivate at the thought of someone actually wanting to jump ship TO US instead of FROM them. Maybe you'll get lucky (and I hope you do), but don't get your hope up. Keep in mind, though, that US is very stingy with elite mileage bonuses. They only give a 25% mileage bonus for silver, and they do not give any mileage/EQM bonuses for Y/B fares.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by thecortex
I tried recently to get a match with US based on my UA 1P status. There's a thread on this board somewhere about it. In any case, I was flatly denied and pointed to the "Try preferred status on for size" promo. According to the DM service center, they're not giving complimentary matches to anyone anymore. Whether this is true or not, who knows, and your experience may vary.

FWIW, other than the chance of a free upgrade, it makes more sense to credit your US flying to your UA 2P account. You get virtually all of the other elite benefits and get a better mileage bonus to boot.
That's pretty discouraging. I have been accumulating on UA this year and just hit Premier. I was going to try and get a request together for a status match, then would start accumulating on US. I would guess that they will tell me to go pound sand as well.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 10:49 am

Why on earth would you want to be a US Elite?

Originally Posted by mr_edward_p
That's pretty discouraging. I have been accumulating on UA this year and just hit Premier. I was going to try and get a request together for a status match, then would start accumulating on US. I would guess that they will tell me to go pound sand as well.
Read this board a little bit and probably you'd ask yourself why you ever even considered wanting to become a US elite. Better yet, walk, no run to some other airline.

I comp'ed to CO this year after several lackluster experiences cummulating in one incident where when my flight was cancelled and no special services were on duty. A supervisor pleaded with thh Gate Agents to "please help the passengers" over the terminal PA system. None did and I was left to my own devices to rent a car to get home.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 10:55 am

Programs: CO Platinum, DL Gold, Former US CP Since They Invented It
Originally Posted by mr_edward_p
For the life of me, I can't imagine wanting to be "preferred" with US.

Stay with any other airline.

As I've said, this carrier is at war with it's customers and employees. The war on it's "Elite" FFers has been increased in recent months.

Until US is done waging these wars and fighting these battles, my best advice is to stay clear of this airline. At some point, they will be done stripping and warring with everyone, and then a real judgement can be made.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by abeflyer
Read this board a little bit and probably you'd ask yourself why you ever even considered wanting to become a US elite. Better yet, walk, no run to some other airline.

I comp'ed to CO this year after several lackluster experiences cummulating in one incident where when my flight was cancelled and no special services were on duty. A supervisor pleaded with thh Gate Agents to "please help the passengers" over the terminal PA system. None did and I was left to my own devices to rent a car to get home.
My thoughts exactly. To the OP: Run. Run like hell away from US. This airline will bring you nothing but frustration.

Abeflyer, CO said they would match me to Platinum. After my initial excitement, I noticed that two things I do would only get my 50% EQM's on any given flight: 1. I book all travel through my company's travel agent; 2. They are booking the lowest available fares. These two points in themselves unfortunately make CO a bad option for me. DL has agreed to match Gold for my plat. They don't match Platinums for fairness to their plats who have achieved it on their own. I respect that and it says well for Delta in that they respect their elites and put them on a higher pedestal anyday than the yahoo's from Pi Kappa Tempe
Old Sep 18, 2007, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by abeflyer

Flying US is not my choice. If I am going to be forced to fly them, I would hope to make the best of it.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA-2P, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
All of your comments are reinforcing my sadness at moving from Chicago to Las Vegas. My wife is 1K and I am 1P and we are trying to decide whether or not to move our mileage accumulation from UA to US. Unfortunately, most of the markets we fly to from LAS are accessed non-stop by US only. I'm not sure if we'd go as far as layingover in LAX or DEN for every flight... any comments?
Old Sep 21, 2007, 9:19 am

Programs: AAGold, United 2P
I tried recently to get a match with US based on my UA 1P status. There's a thread on this board somewhere about it. In any case, I was flatly denied and pointed to the "Try preferred status on for size" promo.
The same thing happened to me (trying to match AAgold). Since that promotion ends on Sept. 30th, I'm hoping they will reinstate their fast track program or something similar that doesn't cost anything. I'm going to try again on October 1st. Otherwise, I'll just take the status match challenge with ua and credit all of my us miles to ua.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 11:59 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 5abi
The same thing happened to me (trying to match AAgold). Since that promotion ends on Sept. 30th, I'm hoping they will reinstate their fast track program or something similar that doesn't cost anything. I'm going to try again on October 1st. Otherwise, I'll just take the status match challenge with ua and credit all of my us miles to ua.
Please report your experience here after Oct 1. I just requalified for 1P and would like to have "backup" status for when I need to fly US. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.