Wiki Posts
Search

Take Flight certificates- lessons learned

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2007, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Take Flight certificates- lessons learned

I received a Take Flight certificate for being voluntarily bumped recently, good for $200 off a flight or a free r/t coach ticket. Lessons learned: (1) you cannot get a new ticket with those certificates without redeeming them at the airport (phone isn't sufficient) within 72 hours of making the new reservation for the trip you're applying the ticket to and (2) you have to give your old confirmation code when making the new reservation; otherwise the new ticket will be messed up.

As the Platinum desk wasn't open (?) on a weekend afternoon, the regular DM reservations agent told me that even the $200 off was valid only on flights with award seats; after calling back, the next agent, who was very nice, took about 20 minutes to make the new reservation, and the very nice lady at the airport took about 40 to ticket it. Apparently the new US reservations systems just doesn't work with those certificates-at least not without tons of problems.

So if $200 off or a free coach r/t isn't worth about 2 hours of your time, don't bother volunteering to be bumped to get those certificates.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 8:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
I thought the $$$ off voucher didn't require award availability, it was only the "free flight" vouchers that did. If this is the case I'd never volunteer.

Sean
Old Apr 30, 2007, 9:45 am

Programs: US Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriot Gold
I don't think it's always that painful. I had two $100 off certificates (one for my wife and one for myself) that I used recently on a really wierd itinerary. My wife and I were traveling to Ontario, but wanted to get as many segments as possible. I think I had about a 10 or 15 minute phone call and they were able to do my wierd 4 segment routing and apply the certificates without any problems. I think it just depends on who you get.

Brett
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Correct- if the voucher is used for $ off, whether or not a flight has award seats is irrelevant. The first phone agent I talked to (regular DM, as the Platinum desk was somehow closed, until I called the CP line and was routed to it) insisted otherwise so I called again.

How do non-Preferreds deal with this airline (and other airlines)?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.