Wiki Posts
Search

US or UA for SFO-PHL in F

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2007, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

US or UA for SFO-PHL in F

Hello all, I'm a US newbie here.

For an upcoming trip in early May, I'm trying to decide between UA or US for SFO-PHL nonstop in F. The timing of US706 is a bit better than the two UA n/s flights. However, I did a search and read a post here about the turmoil surrounding the reconfiguration of - and removal of F seats on - US A320 (does that apply to A321 also, as US706 is showing to be operated by an A321?). Also, some other threads suggest that US catering and service in F is inferior (to UA?). On seatguru, all 3 aircrafts (UA's A319, A320, and US A321) show a pitch of 38", so I'm assuming seats are similarly cramped - any comparison based on actual experience?

Any comments on UA vs US for this route in F? I'm UA premier exec, so I should be entitled to the 100% mileage bonus on UA if flying US. I'm mostly interested in hearing about seat comfort, catering, service, punctuality and overall experience. Thanks.

Last edited by sfvoyage; Apr 25, 2007 at 9:03 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 25, 2007, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; US Gold; DL Silver
Long story short: fly United.

Long story slightly longer than short: United has better food, more comfortable seats, and better IFE.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 9:17 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
If the timing is better take US. You take a bit of a hit on somethings but nothing major that would sway me getting where I wanted when I wanted to.

The food is fine, every SFO flight I have had I have had a good to wonderful crew, and as for the seat I think they are great on comfort at least for me. I had back surgery in January and flew to SFO in Feb. in row 1 in seat F. Think that is the best on the plane. The rows stagger and that side has extra leg room.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Though US crews tend to be good on this route (as well as PHL-LAX), UA will generally provide consistently better service and the food's pretty good. I happen to like UA's F seats better as well. For transcon flying where US and UA both fly the route, I will generally always choose UA unless US has a better timed flight and my schedule is unusually inflexible.

As a UA PE, remember that flying US you'll get EQMs and the class of service bonus miles, but the miles won't count towards 500'ers, CR1's, or (I believe) lifetime miles.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by phlwookie
As a UA PE, remember that flying US you'll get EQMs and the class of service bonus miles, but the miles won't count towards 500'ers, CR1's, or (I believe) lifetime miles.
All of the above are correct. You only earn these goodies from BIS miles on UA flights.

I have not flown in US F for a long, long time, so I can't comment on which one is better, however, I would definitely take UA just to earn points toward the above mentioned benefits unless the UA schedule causes major problems.

Of course, this assumes that the OP is taking a paid flight, not an award. And if s/he is flying in paid F, then s/he will earn 150% EQM toward UA elite status if on UA. (Not sure if this applies if flying paid F on US but crediting to UA)

Last edited by 1kBill; Apr 26, 2007 at 9:00 am
Old Apr 25, 2007, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1kBill
All of the above are correct. You only earn these goodies from BIS miles on UA flights.

Of course, this assumes that the OP is taking a paid flight, not an award. And if s/he is flying in paid F, then s/he will earn 150% EQM toward UA elite status if on UA. (Not sure if this applies if flying paid F on UA but crediting to UA)
I'll be on paid F. Sounds like, all in all, my better choice is UA. Thanks for all the input.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 5:41 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
I'll be on paid F. Sounds like, all in all, my better choice is UA. Thanks for all the input.

Hands down UA.

Cleaner planes
Better catering (MUCH BETTER!)
"Better seats"
Nicer crews
NO us PHL baggage crews
Your flight wont need to stop for fuel
It most likely will have a much higer % chance of being on-time (US forgot what OT is!)

lastly...the CEO isnt a convicted DRUNK!
Old Apr 26, 2007, 5:59 am

The US 321's have had to stop midway to refuel several times a month because of the heavier reconfig. Fly united.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 6:28 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Hands down UA.

Cleaner planes
"Better seats"
Nicer crews
NO us PHL baggage crews
It most likely will have a much higer % chance of being on-time (US forgot what OT is!)
100% on the mark, plus I'll add that UA's baggage service in PHL is much more reliable and faster than US's and that UA's ground staff in PHL is MILES ahead of US's. That plus the F bonus EQMs and RDMs makes choosing UA a no-brainer.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
If you're paying for F, there is no contest: Take UA!
Old Apr 26, 2007, 11:40 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
I've done PHL-SFO in US F so many times I can't count them. In the last 12-18 months, I've moved to UA and I will confirm the in-flight experience tends to be more consistent and usually better. US's best FA's beat UA hands-down but it's a crap shoot if you get one of them. Otherwise, you can generally count on UA to be consistently (I can think of only one exception) good/very good but not outstanding. The only thing I prefer on US is the seat but that's a matter of personal choice.

NOTE: in PHL, there is no F/elite TSA line in terminal D, out of which UA flies. Either do OLCI and get dropped off at C terminal and walk over airside or checkin with UA and then take the short walk outside and enter C terminal. It's almost entirely covered so you can do it in the rain. Also note: UA's club in PHL is the pits; if you have access to US, hang out there and then walk over to D terminal.

(I think the previous poster is incorrect insofar that the US 321 does NOT have to refuel. That's the 320 to which he/she refers.)
Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:08 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Hands down UA.

Cleaner planes
"Better seats"
Nicer crews
NO us PHL baggage crews

lastly...the CEO isnt a convicted DRUNK!
Completely agree, go with UA, and don't even think about taking that abomination of an airline that is US
Old Apr 26, 2007, 8:52 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by DWilliamson5002
If the timing is better take US. You take a bit of a hit on somethings but nothing major that would sway me getting where I wanted when I wanted to.

The food is fine, every SFO flight I have had I have had a good to wonderful crew, and as for the seat I think they are great on comfort at least for me. I had back surgery in January and flew to SFO in Feb. in row 1 in seat F. Think that is the best on the plane. The rows stagger and that side has extra leg room.
I disagree with most every point above. I would go well out of my way, even delaying my trip several hours, to fly UA vs US on paid F.

I do not agree that the food is fine. I find it gross. A frozen calzone warmed in the oven and plated is not my idea of F cuisine on a transcon, period. UA wins this contest by very wide margin.

Over the years, there has been much discussion around the general discomfort that many feel on US's F airbus cabin seats. They are oddly shaped and have no adjustable headrests nor "wings" so those two comfort factors are out the window. The seatbacks on these seats are as flat as a seatback can be -- very nearly boardlike and far harder than any other F seat I've ever sat in. There is precious little padding in these seats, IMO.

Just my thoughts. I simply cannot imagine folks who've flown on UA and US extensively offering advice that US would win the contest. I can't see where that would be the case on any single measurable.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 1:44 am

Programs: SQ *G, QF S, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Advantage Platinum
Okay - same question but shorter flights.

Doing a RTW - so paid F - but *G in anoter carrier, so don't care about life time miles.

UA vs US(HP) - LAX - DEN - IAH vs LAX - PHX - IAH

because of MCT, plan to arrive on NZ6 so options are. International to Domestic is 2 hours isn't it?

UA arriving at 11:12pm or US arriving at 10:48pm. On a Sunday in August.

I also could go AKL-SFO-PHX-IAH, but I understand that US(HP) don't have a lounge in SFO, so better to go from Terminal 2 to Terminal 7 or 1 in LAX.

Been on United too many times, so know my way around them easy. Never been on US since the merger or out of their LAX terminal. Lounge in LAX - US or UA? If the US lounge had a shower - that would be the deciding factor. Catering - not high on my list, as I am very sleepy on these last legs so drinks are more important to me anyway In the past the flight from Denver to Houston has almost always been a 733, so no IFE and use my laptop. But I notice this time it will be a 319 on both of them.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 4:10 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Gotta Requalify
Okay - same question but shorter flights.

Doing a RTW - so paid F - but *G in anoter carrier, so don't care about life time miles.

UA vs US(HP) - LAX - DEN - IAH vs LAX - PHX - IAH

because of MCT, plan to arrive on NZ6 so options are. International to Domestic is 2 hours isn't it?

UA arriving at 11:12pm or US arriving at 10:48pm. On a Sunday in August.

I also could go AKL-SFO-PHX-IAH, but I understand that US(HP) don't have a lounge in SFO, so better to go from Terminal 2 to Terminal 7 or 1 in LAX.

Been on United too many times, so know my way around them easy. Never been on US since the merger or out of their LAX terminal. Lounge in LAX - US or UA? If the US lounge had a shower - that would be the deciding factor. Catering - not high on my list, as I am very sleepy on these last legs so drinks are more important to me anyway In the past the flight from Denver to Houston has almost always been a 733, so no IFE and use my laptop. But I notice this time it will be a 319 on both of them.
For all of the reasons cited in the posts above, it still sonds like UA is a no-brainer. I certainly wouldn't fly on a carrier with an inferior F product to save 24 minutes, especially when you're already very familiar with UA.

As for showers, neither UA or US has them in their regular domestic lounges at LAX. UA has an international first class lounge at LAX, but I've never been there and don't know if the access rules apply for your flights. You might want to ask on the UA forum. UA also has an IFL at SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.