Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage saver to Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2007, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Mileage saver to Costa Rica

If anyone could help that would be great.

Does anyone know when US Airways has mileage saver (15000 miles) routes to Costa Rica? I have been checking for weeks/months. Our time to travel is flexible, so I have been checking all months. They never seem to come up.

thanks
tim
Old Apr 8, 2007, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Welcome to Flyertalk, strigs8

Don't know where you plan to start from, but looking at CLT-SJO, there appears to be wide availability at 15k Saver level for 2 pax for the rest of this month, and into early May. Nothing except for premium levels a month or two after that.

CLT-LIR (Liberia, CR) has 15k Saver availability Saturday to Saturday, e.g. Apr 28 - May 5, or May 5 - 12. Premiums after that (only looked at June/July, though).

If you're not seeing availability, it may be due to flights from your originating city connecting to CLT for Costa Rica.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 8:49 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
How can you get a US 15K reward to Costa Rica, or anyplace for that matter? I just reviewed the US reward chart. I don't see it mentioned.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 9:01 am

Saver Award Availability One Way Only

Actually as with all award travel I've tried to find on the website, saver awards are only available one way. It's premium on the return especially if you want a Sunday return for a long weekend.

Other than MAN to Europe in the fall and early winter, this is what I found even ten months out. I just wish that US would be honest and say they are raising the award levels, when it is imnpossible to get awards at their advertised base levels anywhere.

Now if you use the ANA planner, you can find *A awards virtually at any time even combining some US flights (with only premium availability on US website) for *A levels. I am down to 200,000 miles to burn, with business class trips to Athens, SIngapore and Perth already scheduled via a*A awards this year.

P.S.-Art, if nothing is going to come from your Tempe trip, let us know. I keep wanting to hang in, but the more I am away, the easier its becoming to avoid US.

2005-125,000 miles 2006-105,000 miles 2007-2,000 miles
Old Apr 8, 2007, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by loomis
How can you get a US 15K reward to Costa Rica, or anyplace for that matter?...
Sorry, I'm getting used to the new US pricing their awards one-way and thinking as such - yes, the 15k Saver is one-way. As I've mentioned, 15k Savers each-way are available CLT-SJO and return, or CLT-LIR and return on dates up to May (latest 15k Saver return LIR-CLT I found was May 12, and seemingly it all goes to premuim (30k each-way) after that.

One new feature (not available on old US) is the ability to combine a 15k Saver outbound, if available, with a 30k Premium return, or vice versa, for some Miles savings.

abeflyer, sometimes we get lucky . Earlier this year when they announced new routes to ATH, ZRH, etc there was a plethora of Saver award seats (both Economy and Envoy) available, even during summer. In fact, the CP angel was amazed I didn't want Envoy award (40k each-way) in peak summer - I had to chuckle when I told her I deliberately avoid crowded Europe in the summer - and opted instead for an Envoy R/T in the fall.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 12:44 pm

ATH from PHl on the first day on system was available only one way at mile saver. Return was premium, so it may depend on where you live what if they make mile saver awards available both ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.