Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite line longer than the regular line

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:42 am

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
I went to go check in last night at 930pm for my 1045pm PHL-BOS that was already delayed (on the phone at least) til 1120pm.... no elite line in B ticketing... no functioning kiosks..... the only thing that saved us from at least 45 mintues of waiting was one lone person asking "Is anyone actually checking in for a flight tonight?"

At least one person was using their head....

Might I add... there are really alot of angry and sad looking folks at US East in PHL these days! Sorry to see it this way...
Old Apr 5, 2007, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: US Chairmans, Air Tran Elite, NWA Silver, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, IHG Gold
I've never have had a problem at PHX with the elite/F line being longer than the general line. The elite/F line has always saved me quite a bit of time at PHX. Also, I'm 100% on upgrades on all my domestic flights including those in and out of Phoenix (which I was I connect most of the time).
Old Apr 5, 2007, 1:48 pm

Programs: US dirt (from CP), Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond??, Avis First, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by goheelswks
I often have been saved by the preferred security line in CLT
Have to agree with this one....but if it looks like a backup there I'll just keep walking down to the D/E checkpoint. That's normally pretty empty.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
PIT is like that sometimes. But I have learned that a 30% longer preferred line will move faster due to more experienced travelers.

I must admit I once was quite amused when I hoped in the much sorter regular line as a colleague was already in the preferred line. When he showed up at the gate 10 minutes after me he was surprised that I wasn't preferred. I told him that I was but the special recognition by the TSA agents at that end of the hall wasn't worth 10 minutes to me.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by CPRich
PIT is like that sometimes. But I have learned that a 30% longer preferred line will move faster due to more experienced travelers.

I must admit I once was quite amused when I hoped in the much sorter regular line as a colleague was already in the preferred line. When he showed up at the gate 10 minutes after me he was surprised that I wasn't preferred. I told him that I was but the special recognition by the TSA agents at that end of the hall wasn't worth 10 minutes to me.
Ah yes, the hidden regular line on the left right next to the preferred line.

What they really need is a preferred line at the alternate checkpoint.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US1
Well come over to this side of VA and you will see that the upgrades don't come at all. It has never happened for me at DCA yet.

And when I stated about the long lines I was referring to PHX airport not DCA.

Originally Posted by kudzu
That's strange. I've done several IAD-PHX recently, and the upgrades have always come at the window. It's the 7:15am nonstop, though. I get to Dulles shortly after 5am when they open and simply breeze through at the dedicated FC counter for PHX flights.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:14 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
I asked them that exact question and they offered to sell me gold. I wrote back again and asked if they get the real reason I asked or were simply script-based drone responses.

ClueByFour,

I've tried to get a straight answer from US regarding the bogus-Golds issue five different times. First three times I called customer service, and I was told that a supervisor would be calling me back. Never happened. Fourth time, I was given a fax number for "Dividend Miles Fulfillment" and I sent a fax. No response. Last week, I spoke with a rep at the DM miles center who said that she had no idea of the situation. She then spoke to her supervisor, who told her that there was, in fact, an error which caused the bogus-Golds to get the status.

Then the conversation went south. The rep said that she had looked at my record for 2007 and noted that I had yet to fly any paid flights on US (conveniently ignoring my upcoming PHL-FLL reservartion for 4/26). When I asked how my flying record for the last three months was relevant to the bogus-Golds issue, she said that since I hadn't flown in 2007, she couldn't understand why I was concerned about the bogus-Gold situation since it hadn't affected me. Amazing.

I then informed her that I had achieved my Gold status for the last two years by flying on US, and that I wanted to be sure that my Gold status would have value going forward.

She still couldn't understand why I was concerned. She tried to convince me that since the people who got the bogus-Gold status didn't fly much anyway, then they wouldn't affect me. I told her that it's quite possible that these bogus-Golds will now be more likely to fly US.

Finally, I asked her what she would do if she was a genuine GP and found out that many other flyers had been given Gold status by error. Her repsonse, "I'm an adult."

Incredible.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 1:30 am

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
You have to understand they are clueless on how it is to be a US Elite and have to go through what we go through.. week after week... it is not a fun thing.. and they would be more understanding once they go through it...

Still amazing.. I am amazed how US likes to argue instead of being sympathetic... strange..

Originally Posted by tommyleo
ClueByFour,

I've tried to get a straight answer from US regarding the bogus-Golds issue five different times. First three times I called customer service, and I was told that a supervisor would be calling me back. Never happened. Fourth time, I was given a fax number for "Dividend Miles Fulfillment" and I sent a fax. No response. Last week, I spoke with a rep at the DM miles center who said that she had no idea of the situation. She then spoke to her supervisor, who told her that there was, in fact, an error which caused the bogus-Golds to get the status.

Then the conversation went south. The rep said that she had looked at my record for 2007 and noted that I had yet to fly any paid flights on US (conveniently ignoring my upcoming PHL-FLL reservartion for 4/26). When I asked how my flying record for the last three months was relevant to the bogus-Golds issue, she said that since I hadn't flown in 2007, she couldn't understand why I was concerned about the bogus-Gold situation since it hadn't affected me. Amazing.

I then informed her that I had achieved my Gold status for the last two years by flying on US, and that I wanted to be sure that my Gold status would have value going forward.

She still couldn't understand why I was concerned. She tried to convince me that since the people who got the bogus-Gold status didn't fly much anyway, then they wouldn't affect me. I told her that it's quite possible that these bogus-Golds will now be more likely to fly US.

Finally, I asked her what she would do if she was a genuine GP and found out that many other flyers had been given Gold status by error. Her repsonse, "I'm an adult."

Incredible.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 8:00 am

Programs: US CP, United Premier, Continental Silver Elite
Originally Posted by goheelswks
I often have been saved by the preferred security line in CLT--if not, depending on the time of day, I'll often divert to checkpoint A.

Interesting note--during the second Friday of the Shares migraster......
HAHAHAHH MIGRASTER... thats a great term. I love it!
Old Apr 6, 2007, 8:05 am

Programs: US CP, United Premier, Continental Silver Elite
Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS FAN
Well come over to this side of VA and you will see that the upgrades don't come at all. It has never happened for me at DCA yet.

And when I stated about the long lines I was referring to PHX airport not DCA.
Where are you flying to out of DCA? I am only a PP and have been averaging almost 100% upgrades for my weekly FLL to DCA and back trips.

I do fly to DCA Tuesday morinings which gives me a better chance but even my Friday trips to FLL (which should have a lot of paid F's and miles upgrades) still have been getting upgraded. I would think as a step up from my status you should be getting some upgrades.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 4:42 pm

Programs: HH Silver IHG Platinum
Bogus Gold, nice mature way to tackle an issue. I am a "bogus gold" and I have travel booked on US. I would have never have had booked US if it were not for being a "Bogus Gold." That is pretty good marketing to garner new customers.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

I am only speaking of DCA to PHX not any other desitnation. That is where I have never been upgraded. I am not speaking of FLL or LGA or any where else. Only PHX. I have gone through PHX 16 times this year like I stated in my original OP. Please re-read my post above.

Originally Posted by tdeyulia
Where are you flying to out of DCA? I am only a PP and have been averaging almost 100% upgrades for my weekly FLL to DCA and back trips.

I do fly to DCA Tuesday morinings which gives me a better chance but even my Friday trips to FLL (which should have a lot of paid F's and miles upgrades) still have been getting upgraded. I would think as a step up from my status you should be getting some upgrades.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 8:28 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by AvalancheZ71
Bogus Gold, nice mature way to tackle an issue. I am a "bogus gold" and I have travel booked on US. I would have never have had booked US if it were not for being a "Bogus Gold." That is pretty good marketing to garner new customers.
How much did you do last year and how much will you do next year in the absence of freebie gold?

Those who earned it are (no offense--really) more likely to do so again.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS FAN
Well come over to this side of VA and you will see that the upgrades don't come at all. It has never happened for me at DCA yet...
Since my upgrades were so easy IAD-PHX, I simply had to look for myself at upcoming PHX flights from the more convenient WashDC airport . Ouch, indeed..., DCA-PHX nonstops are a nightmare to upgrade, and I feel for you!

A cursory look at next week's availability DCA-PHX three nonstops indicates limited to zilch F, and it's probably been like this for some time ...
Mon Apr 9
(i) 7:05am F0 (HP 752 aircraft)
(ii) 10:15am F2 (HP 319)
(iii) 4:39pm F0 (HP 752)
Tue Apr 10
(i) F3
(ii) F4
(iii) F1
Wed Apr 11
(i) F1
(ii) F5
(iii) F4
Thu Apr 12
(i) F5
(ii) F2
(iii) F1
Fri Apr 13
(i) F0
(ii) F0
(iii) F0

Apparently, the only nonstop IAD-PHX is not as popular (which explains how my upgrades came so easily)

Mon Apr 9 F2 (HP 319 aircraft)
Tue Apr 10 F6
Wed Apr 11 F7
Thu Apr 12 F8
Fri Apr 13 F4
Old Apr 7, 2007, 8:39 am
Original Poster

kudzu,

Well with DCA only 3 metro stops from my house. IAD just does not make sense for me. From the time I leave my house and the time I get to the US check in line on the metro it is usually 20 mins.

Driving 26 miles to IAD just does not work for me nor does taking the metro to Roslynn and then taking the shuttle bus. It's just too much work.

Looks like IAD is less popular. I would not mind taking it if it were not such a pain to get out there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.