Wiki Posts
Search

Elite line longer than the regular line

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2007, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US1
Elite line longer than the regular line

Well I flew out of PHX yesterday and I was shocked to see the first class line was much longer than the normal line.

When I got to the Security checkpoint for the A gates. The elite line there was WAY LONGER than the normal line.

That would tell me that US has way too many elites. Zones 1 and two were practically half the aircraft.

I have flown through PHX 16 times this year. Not one time have I gotten an upgrade to first class and I am CP.

T
Old Apr 4, 2007, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *G, Marriott Platinum
That's what happens when US gives away Gold to everyone and their uncle, regardless of flight activity.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 8:13 pm

Programs: UAL 1K
This is all too common these days. To travel as an elite in a hub city is virtually meaningless in 2007.

I think it is time to separate F passengers from elites. Paying for F and having to wade through every Tom, Dick, and Grandma who "made" elite last year is rather grating.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 8:38 pm

Programs: USAir Gold, Delta Slvr, *Wood Plat
Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS FAN
Well I flew out of PHX yesterday and I was shocked to see the first class line was much longer than the normal line.
T
While I agree that it's a mess trying to upgrade in and out of Phoenix, I challenge this idea that the first class line is long. It LOOKS long, in a kind of Disneyland way. The regular line goes through several twists and turns that are not visible when you first approach the lines. Was there this morning (pre7am) and it was a breeze.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

No it was definately longer. I watched a few people who got in line after me and got out of security before me as they were already sitting at the gate waiting to board. It also does not explain why the first class/elite line was so much longer either.

Looks like the buying of flowers paid off for so many people last year. What a joke!

Originally Posted by cwoog
While I agree that it's a mess trying to upgrade in and out of Phoenix, I challenge this idea that the first class line is long. It LOOKS long, in a kind of Disneyland way. The regular line goes through several twists and turns that are not visible when you first approach the lines. Was there this morning (pre7am) and it was a breeze.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 10:50 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
On no less than two occasions this year (both in London), the premium line was significantly longer than the regular line. This is also (at least the couple of times I've originated in PHX or PIT or CLT this year) a pretty standard feature of the hubs during the Monday and Thurs/Friday pushes.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 10:58 pm

I often have been saved by the preferred security line in CLT--if not, depending on the time of day, I'll often divert to checkpoint A.

Interesting note--during the second Friday of the Shares migraster, the preferred check-in line was not open as of 8am in CLT--it had apparently been closed, opened briefly, and then shut down again due to the uselessness of the kiosks.

PHL, however--wow--in my two times departing there, the "preferred" security line ended up being noticeably longer than the normal security line.

Thankfully, had checked in online, so did not have to deal with airport check-in there.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by jbryan77
That's what happens when US gives away Gold to everyone and their uncle, regardless of flight activity.
I'm still trying to figure out how I can be one of those "aunts" getting a gimme gold Searches find complaints about the frequent issuances but now how to get it. Acquiring credit card I'm assuming correct? tia
Old Apr 5, 2007, 7:41 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by wahoo16A
This is all too common these days. To travel as an elite in a hub city is virtually meaningless in 2007.

I think it is time to separate F passengers from elites. Paying for F and having to wade through every Tom, Dick, and Grandma who "made" elite last year is rather grating.

Actually, i think its the paid F who slow it down. Mrs Howell with her big hat on the way to Palm Beach who needs 25 minutes at the counter to check Fifi in, then has 10 pounds of jewelry to unload at the screening.

What they really need are lines for "Have a clue" and "Clueless"
Old Apr 5, 2007, 8:23 am
Original Poster

People who have paid F should be able to use the line no matter what IMO. Why would anyone want to pay F on US is beyond me anyhow. Pay F on AA or UA and you will surely get a better product. People who buy flowers to get status is another thing. But sandcastle thinks other wise.

Originally Posted by PSU Mudder
Actually, i think its the paid F who slow it down. Mrs Howell with her big hat on the way to Palm Beach who needs 25 minutes at the counter to check Fifi in, then has 10 pounds of jewelry to unload at the screening.

What they really need are lines for "Have a clue" and "Clueless"
Old Apr 5, 2007, 8:26 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I have flown through PHX 16 times this year. Not one time have I gotten an upgrade to first class and I am CP.
... that's because they're not managing inventory properly and their systems don't work. I've had the "opportunity" to transit PHX four times this year. Only once was I upgraded. On the segment I missed, F was filled with upgraded golds. (I was CP at the time.)

The second set of flights, there was no availability to even BUY F three days out. Complete incompetence, especially if they've got upgraders.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
...I have flown through PHX 16 times this year. Not one time have I gotten an upgrade to first class and I am CP.
That's strange. I've done several IAD-PHX recently, and the upgrades have always come at the window. It's the 7:15am nonstop, though. I get to Dulles shortly after 5am when they open and simply breeze through at the dedicated FC counter for PHX flights.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 8:54 am
Original Poster

deleted

Deleted post
Old Apr 5, 2007, 9:45 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by zipadee
I'm still trying to figure out how I can be one of those "aunts" getting a gimme gold Searches find complaints about the frequent issuances but now how to get it. Acquiring credit card I'm assuming correct? tia
I asked them that exact question and they offered to sell me gold. I wrote back again and asked if they get the real reason I asked or were simply script-based drone responses.

I got a script based drone response in return.......
Old Apr 5, 2007, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Aside from the equity issues here, I try to assess the chances of making it through quicker on the non-status line: how much shorter is it? do the people in it look like seasoned travelers who won't hold up the line (arbtirary, I know)? Does the elite line include a lot a families who may not make it through quickly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.