Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FLL/ USairways Survival guide

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
FLL/ USairways Survival guide

I have an upcoming trip booked on USAiways from DCA->FLL in first class. The trip is out on Sunday and back on a Sunday around the middle of the afternoon.

I have become a little concerned when I read some of the USairways threads concerning operations at FLL. Do any FTers have any survival tips for traveling out of FLL, i.e. arrive two hours early etc.?
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:03 am

Programs: US CP, United Premier, Continental Silver Elite
I fly the FLL DCA trip weekly. I dont go out on Sunday though. The best way I beat the nightmare tourist people is ONLC and have some time for the security line. They have taken out the FC and elite lines but when they were there I could get through security in about 10 minutes. Now it takes about 20-25 some times. Its a good airport and much easier then MIA.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by tdeyulia
I fly the FLL DCA trip weekly. I dont go out on Sunday though. The best way I beat the nightmare tourist people is ONLC and have some time for the security line. They have taken out the FC and elite lines but when they were there I could get through security in about 10 minutes. Now it takes about 20-25 some times. Its a good airport and much easier then MIA.
Thanks for the information. I had read that Sundays are a bad time; I have already booked so I'll have to adjust. Do they still have separate check-in lines for First? I'll be there for a week (Spring break ^ ^ ) so I will be checking a bag.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Smile

Originally Posted by hazelrah
so I will be checking a bag.
Heh, there's really no need to limit this discussion to FLL. Really stinks when the need to check a bag is only thing that prevents you from making a flight.

If I know that I'll be pressed for time, or if something happens to suggest that there might a system-wide meltdown I wouldn't hesitate to swing by a UPS Store on Saturday and ground ship everything I couldn't carry on. Yes, it's a P.I.T.A., but if the alternative is 12 hours of standby, then you're only out $35 - $50 for peace of mind. Some hotels might also assist (at a premium).

Of course, if OLCI doesn't let you pre-print a boarding pass, you're hosed regardless--but you should know the day before whether that's the case, and react accordingly.

Oh--and on the way down, be sure to carry-on your swim trunks & a toothbrush just in case. You could get lucky: your luggage might get lost outbound, and you won't have to worry about checking anything on your return.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Exec
Sundays at FLL are a true nightmare due to cruise ships turning over their pax. If there is weather or spring break also...it's worse. Some of the worst scenes I've come across were in FLL on a Sunday.

However, I have done it many times. Check in online and try not to check a bag. If you must, make sure you have some sort of DM Preferred...that line to the desk always seems empty to me. If you don't have status and need to check a bag, I would suggest looking at PBI or another day to fly. Everything from curbside to the counters is jammed. I've heard 2-3 hour waits from some passengers.

The upside to this is security is fairly reasonable...because everybody is stuck back at the checkin desks and can't get beyond that.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=fishintheobx;7430452] If you don't have status and need to check a bag, I would suggest looking at PBI or another day to fly. Everything from curbside to the counters is jammed. I've heard 2-3 hour waits from some passengers.
QUOTE]

Thanks to all who have been provding useful tips on FLL travel.

It's been a while since I have flown on US. Are First Class passengers allowed to use Dividend Miles Preferred Check-in line?
Old Mar 19, 2007, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by hazelrah
Are First Class passengers allowed to use Dividend Miles Preferred Check-in line?
Yes. It is marked "Dividend Preferred and First Class" The sign-boards over the desks say "First Class"
Old Mar 19, 2007, 3:41 pm

Programs: US CP, United Premier, Continental Silver Elite
Originally Posted by fishintheobx

The upside to this is security is fairly reasonable...because everybody is stuck back at the checkin desks and can't get beyond that.
HAHAHHAHHAH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.