Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer status from United? Is this possible?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2007, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, US Airways, Continental, AA
Cool Transfer status from United? Is this possible?

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and I heard a rumor the other day that since United and US Airways are in the same Star Alliance network one can transfer status from United to US Airways. I recently moved from Denver (United Hub) to Phoenix (US Airways hub) and would like to transfer but don't want to start all over since I'm an Premier Exec with United.

Does any one know if this rumor is true and how do I go about changing programs and not loosing miles, upgrades or status? Thanks!

-Rachel
Old Mar 18, 2007, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by PHX Flyer
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and I heard a rumor the other day that since United and US Airways are in the same Star Alliance network one can transfer status from United to US Airways. I recently moved from Denver (United Hub) to Phoenix (US Airways hub) and would like to transfer but don't want to start all over since I'm an Premier Exec with United.

Does any one know if this rumor is true and how do I go about changing programs and not loosing miles, upgrades or status? Thanks!

-Rachel
Hi Rachel,

You can't transfer statuses but you can ask US for a status match Just Fax the US DMSC a statement and your US FF #.

Welcome to US!
Old Mar 18, 2007, 12:40 pm

Programs: US-CP 11+yrs now just Silver as a Million Mile FlyerHH-Diamond, PC-Plat, Choice-Gold, Marriott- Plat
Miles transfer between programs

Rachel - Your UA miles will not transfer, but since both airlines are both code share partners and Star Alliance partners you can use your UA miles for US flights in many cases.

US should be willing to match your Premier Executive status to either Gold or Platinum status depending on how closely they look at your UA travel history. The new Platinum status normally starts at 90 segments through 119 segments or 75,000 to 99,999 EQM's so the UA Premier Exec category over laps US Gold and Platinum.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all! So, I should just call a Dividend Miles representative. Hopefully it all works out!

-Rachel
Old Mar 18, 2007, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
OP's handle makes me miss PhoenixFlyer. Sure he made a bunch of stuff up, but he was entertaining.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Thanks all! So, I should just call a Dividend Miles representative. Hopefully it all works out!

-Rachel
Rachel,
I would you to NOT change your membership over to US from UA.

I live in PHL, a major US hub, but I have all my US flight credited to my UA 1K account.

My 0.02.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by gawhite411
...Sure he made a bunch of stuff up...
Ahem, that says it all...most of us are not here on FT for the entertainment value

Welcome to Flyertalk, PHX Flyer

It makes sense living in PHX to consider US. Ask for a status match (as suggested by others here, and it's once-in-a lifetime), or call and ask for a Challenge (fly so many Miles within a certain time to get Silver, and if they still do have it, to Gold, or Plat).

The biggest benefit of being a US FF on US metal is that your chances of complimentary upgrades increase as you go up the Preferred ladder. You can also use US Miles to upgrade in advance.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the welcome everyone. Sapguy - I'm still deciding to transfer or not... I'm weighing the pros and cons.

The pros for US are that there are more direct flights from PHX and the complimentary upgrades are great! Cons - seating is poor unless your a Chairman and the first class cabin seems to always be full!

However, UA is not as bad regarding delays/cancelations and the United Plus seats are great! Cons are that they are bit more expensive and Accounting is always pinching the pennies so... its hard to justify. Also, there are few direct flights and a lay-over in Denver or Chicago is inevitable. Parking for UA flights is 8$ versus 20$ and its a small terminal so I'm in and out.

I just wish my UA status would allow for the first class upgrades on US. This week I'm flying both UA and US airways so... maybe it'll help me make a decision.

I don't want to loose my UA status if I transfer to US.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 8:16 pm

Programs: CON Plat, UA 2P, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Avis First, Marriott Silver
How is this done?

Originally Posted by sapguy
Rachel,
I would you to NOT change your membership over to US from UA.

I live in PHL, a major US hub, but I have all my US flight credited to my UA 1K account.

My 0.02.
I'm in a similiar situation - close to getting 1P status with UA but just found out I'll be going to columbus for the next 3 months. I'm based out of PIT and UA is not an option to columbus given the few flights and times I need to arrive....how can I get my US flights credited to the US account?? Don't want to switch to scareways.

thx
Old Apr 2, 2007, 8:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dubtank11
....how can I get my US flights credited to the US account?? Don't want to switch to scareways.
I assume you mean credited to your UA account. If so, you just provide your UA MP number when you make the reservation, at check-in, at the gate, online, or wherever you would otherwise provide it.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 3:27 am

Cons - seating is poor unless your a Chairman and the first class cabin seems to always be full!
You can get exit row seats at any elite level and silvers, golds, and platinums get a nice number of upgrades to first class.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 3:52 am

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
I didnt want to start a new thread on this but i am currently GP and was wondering, does US allow current preferreds to ask for a challenge to any of the higher levels? I will just miss platinum this year by 3 segments and didnt know if I could get a challenge for it when my travel starts to kick up for the fall bigtime.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 4:34 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by USFreak
I didnt want to start a new thread on this but i am currently GP and was wondering, does US allow current preferreds to ask for a challenge to any of the higher levels? I will just miss platinum this year by 3 segments and didnt know if I could get a challenge for it when my travel starts to kick up for the fall bigtime.
Sometimes they do. It depends on the agent you get when you contact US. But give it a try...you never know.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 10:42 pm

Programs: CON Plat, UA 2P, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Avis First, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I assume you mean credited to your UA account. If so, you just provide your UA MP number when you make the reservation, at check-in, at the gate, online, or wherever you would otherwise provide it.
that worked....big up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.