Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How is the Dash-8 in snow?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2007, 10:26 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Jim:
Likewise I was also speaking of Piedmont Dash8 crews as those are the only ones I've been around.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Not to get off topic too much, but one weather medium has "winter storm watch" up, yet has 40% chance of snow showers. Another has no watch, but has heavy snow.

Back on topic, I used to do phl-abe every week--in a Dash 8--, and it was the winds, not the snow that caused problems!
Climbing out of BTV last week we hit some strong winds and boy was it an interesting climb!
cheers
howie
Old Feb 14, 2007, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Update

As you may have guessed, the flight (5:25 PM) from ISP-PHL yesterday was cancelled. I fortunately found out at 1:30 yesterday (no thanks to US or my company's travel desk) and was able to get creative about getting home. I returned the rental car at JFK, took the subway to Manhattan, and then took Amtrak home.

Looking at today's ops, I think I made a good choice. All flights from ISP-PHL were cancelled today.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 6:31 pm

Programs: Lots
I guess it's a bit late to answer your main question, but the Dash 8 seems to love flying in winter weather. It hates summer / hot.

The airplane is built with a thick wing, and can handle most icing conditions you would expect to counter in the northern parts of the world.

As long as all the de-ice / anti-ice equipment is working, no worries. The only thing you may notice as a passenger is the props shedding ice, which hits the side of the fuselage making a pretty loud THUMP. Perfectly fine. The props may also get a bit out of balance between de-ice boot cycles on the blades.

I trust the airplane more than any regional jet in icing conditions.

You also have more immediate and effective directional control on the ground with the Dash than you would with a pure jet. Less of a chance of the aircraft sliding off an icy runway since differential power can be applied more accurately and sooner than in a jet.

As far as our crews, we look like a lot of regionals out there when it comes to First Officers. I've been on the airplane about three years, and I'm fairly senior in the right seat. Many have been there a year or less as our attrition has skyrocketed due to no growth and few upgrades.

Most captains have been on the airplane at least ten years, and we have several who flew the -7, Shorts, and Beech 99. They've been on the property almost twenty years. Off the top of my head, I think our most senior pilot was hired in '73 or '78 by one of the regionals that merged and became Allegheny, later merged into Piedmont.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 8:45 pm

I can't speak for Dash-8s in the snow, but I have found them to be more reliable in the summer during thunderstorms.

If there's a gap, they can load them up more quickly and send them on the shorter runways in CLT and PHL that don't have a pile of mainline flights already trying to get off in the 'gap' between cells.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 5:56 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
Jim

I agree with you assesment of the crews at most regional carriers. Some pilots I have seen on some RJs don't seem old enough to shave.

But AW seems to be the execption of the RJ carriers, most seem older 40+ YO.

I think the Dash8 is a great plane to fly on short trips, MHT-LGA for example. The plane is comforable (other than noise) and just as fast as an RJ on that route (flight time)
Old Feb 16, 2007, 10:05 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by DashPilot
I guess it's a bit late to answer your main question, but the Dash 8 seems to love flying in winter weather. It hates summer / hot.

The airplane is built with a thick wing, and can handle most icing conditions you would expect to counter in the northern parts of the world.

As long as all the de-ice / anti-ice equipment is working, no worries. The only thing you may notice as a passenger is the props shedding ice, which hits the side of the fuselage making a pretty loud THUMP. Perfectly fine. The props may also get a bit out of balance between de-ice boot cycles on the blades.

I trust the airplane more than any regional jet in icing conditions.

You also have more immediate and effective directional control on the ground with the Dash than you would with a pure jet. Less of a chance of the aircraft sliding off an icy runway since differential power can be applied more accurately and sooner than in a jet.

As far as our crews, we look like a lot of regionals out there when it comes to First Officers. I've been on the airplane about three years, and I'm fairly senior in the right seat. Many have been there a year or less as our attrition has skyrocketed due to no growth and few upgrades.

Most captains have been on the airplane at least ten years, and we have several who flew the -7, Shorts, and Beech 99. They've been on the property almost twenty years. Off the top of my head, I think our most senior pilot was hired in '73 or '78 by one of the regionals that merged and became Allegheny, later merged into Piedmont.
Thanks much for the info on DASH8. I'm not a pilot but licensed dispatcher, Have no training or real knowledge of Dash 8s, Its good to have you on here. When I use to work in ops on the ole D con before we lost that end of it I use to know quite a few of the Henson(I think Piedmont) pilots & I was quite impressed with them.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
Ain't that the truth - it's quite the roller coaster ride between PHX and FLG in the summer time. Right up there with 6 flags. Of course 110 degree heat makes any flight bumpy.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
While I have never flown a US Dash-8, I can assure you it's one of the most rugged and reliable planes ever built and was specifically designed for operation in winter conditions. The Dash-8 is very reliable in icy, windy conditions and can land and take off on very short runways (although not STOL rated as was the Dash 7).

Many carriers use the Dash-8 in exceptionally demanding conditions, such as Air St Pierre, who operate between St Pierre and Miquelon (two French islands off the coast of Newfoundland). Also, a number of carriers use the Dash 8 into SBH and its infamous runway 10 approach.

While the Dash 8 is loud and bumpy, I would feel safer in a Dash-8 in the winter than in virtually any other plane.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *G, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
While the Dash 8 is loud and bumpy, I would feel safer in a Dash-8 in the winter than in virtually any other plane.
I completely agree. Having flown the DASH 8's in the snow in Colorado many times, I feel the most comfortable on them in bad weather.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
I agree as well as someone who has flown the dh8 into btv many times in less than ideal weather! I dont get why people are so afraid of props?
cheers
howie
Old Feb 18, 2007, 9:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the info DashPilot, I wonder why so many carriers use Dash 8 in the Caribbean though if they hate summer/hot? Liat, Caribbean Sun (which just went away) and Caribbean Star are all Dash 8 based carriers. I like the planes, perfect size in my book.

I imagine you are based in Salisbury? I graduated from SSU in 99 and worked for Perdue for a while. I met my wife there and Mr. Henson (who started what is now the USX version of Piedmont called Henson aviation) gave her a scholarship right before he passed. I still love that town!

Sean
Old Feb 19, 2007, 8:04 am

Programs: Lots
I don't know why you'd want to fly a Dash 8-100 in the Islands, but a -200 does well in the heat. Problem is management decided to get rid of ours and replace them with previously retired -100s.

The issue with cooling them down comes from not being able to run the APU in flight. It was designed to do so, but De Havilland wasn't able to get the certification required for use in flight. If we could run it, the airplane would be nice and cool.

Sorry, I'm not based in SBY. I try to stay away from the place.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 9:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
Sorry, I'm not based in SBY. I try to stay away from the place.
I think my love of the town stems from it being my college town.

I've always been facinated though by the fact that US still has ties to what was such a small town due to Henson aviation. Any insight on how big the operation is there?

I believe the Caribbean airlines are using the 200 series. LIAT uses them as well.

Sean
Old Feb 20, 2007, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Exec
I believe a lot of the -100's still have HA in their tail-numbers from when they were owned by Henson Aviation. Not sure if it's still around, but N906HA was the oldest in the fleet, being serial #9 of all Dash 8's built. She was delivered sometime in early 1985.

The Old Days: http://us.airliners.net/photos/middle/9/5/8/0712859.jpg
Today: http://us.airliners.net/photos/middle/3/1/5/0093513.jpg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.