Wiki Posts
Search

Unexpected Upgrade- United Ticket and MP # on US Metal

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k Marriott Titanium
Unexpected Upgrade- United Ticket and MP # on US Metal

Well today i caught the 05:30 from PHL-CLT.

I am polishing off my last few segments to get to 1K, so I had my MP # in the res, flying in seat 14D or something like that.

I am a US PP, going to go down to SP this year.

As they were getting ready to close the door, the FA came up to me and asked "Were you on the standby list for upgrade??" I said no-- expecting nothing as I didn't have my DM# in the res, and was on a United ticket.

She went up to the front and called "Will Mr. YTJK please come see us here" and then I just went up and got 1D.

Frankly, not much better legroom with the bulkhead and all, and I didn't have time to get even a drink of water.

But anyway, can someone explain this one?? Not going to make me return to US in droves, but if I knew I was going to get upgraded and still get my UA miles (including my full 100% bonus as a GP or better) that would be a sweet thing--

Cheers
ytjk
Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
You got an op-up. You're lucky.

I once got moved from Y to C on a UA p.s. flight with my US DM number on there. It happens. Sometimes if coach is very full, they'll move someone up based on *A status.

Also, if you were on a full Y fare (were you?) you'll often find yourself in F even if you're not crediting to US when flights are full.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

That's what I guessed.

I was not full fare (Think it was H) about a $400 RT PHL-MEM, second half on united metal

Coach was not full (They didn't re-fill my seat, the door was closed by the time I got up front) and there were probably 30 or 40 empty seats.

I truly don't know how I got on the upgrade list. I had assumed that on Monday morning, 0530, with about -- what 100 people in coach, that at least someone would have had the DM Visa card to give silver status or something.

Anyway, I was happy nonetheless
Old Oct 9, 2006, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Were you given a new BP? If so any chance it had your US number on instead of UA?
Old Oct 9, 2006, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ytjk
That's what I guessed.

I was not full fare (Think it was H) about a $400 RT PHL-MEM, second half on united metal

Coach was not full (They didn't re-fill my seat, the door was closed by the time I got up front) and there were probably 30 or 40 empty seats.

I truly don't know how I got on the upgrade list. I had assumed that on Monday morning, 0530, with about -- what 100 people in coach, that at least someone would have had the DM Visa card to give silver status or something.

Anyway, I was happy nonetheless
visa card doesnt' give silver- only priority boarding and check-in and some promo certs

what I am surprised about though is that the flight wasn't packed with mid-high level US elites - who the hell else flies on the 530 am besides frequent business travelers?
Old Oct 9, 2006, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dukeman
Were you given a new BP? If so any chance it had your US number on instead of UA?
No new BP-- My original (looking at it now) has my UA#.
I don't believe that there is any way they could have known my US#, let alone my status
Old Oct 9, 2006, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL (Medallion), AA, WN, Scareways, HH, MR, SPG
This happened to me in reverse....flying on one of the UA Express carriers, US ticket with DM # (I don't belong to UA's program yet). Checked in and I was in FC. Surprised, but I wasn't going to complain.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sts603
who the hell else flies on the 530 am besides frequent business travelers?
I'm a frequent business traveler and avoid flights before 7 a.m. like the plague. The lack of sleep kills productivity the whole day, so it usually ends up being not worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.