Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No wonder airline travel is such a nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2006, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, US Airways Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz 5 star
No wonder airline travel is such a nightmare

Newbie to the site in regards to posting but today was one of those days that you just have to rant about. I travel clt-dca every monday and the return every friday. Today US 1721, I sat 6a, the guy beside me was already seated in the middle before I arrived. Both armrest up and when I asked him to lower them I got the most awful look. He then proceed to do the typical chat on the phone, fidget with the blackberry. Take off time, as we are taking off down the run way, out comes the noise cancelling headphone, deep into his bag and out pops a bottle of diet coke and back goes the seat. All of this before we were 20 ft off the ground. He then graps his newspaper from the pocket and steched it out all over mine and poor 6c's area. Landing time, seat still back headphones still on, and refuses to change that situation even after some scolding from the FA. Its no wonder that flights are diverted, security lines are long, and I still cant take my hair gel on a plane with idiots like this refusing to obey the rules.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
I had a guy chatting on his cell phone as we were in final approach at SFO. He was sitting in the exit row, seatback reclined and his cell phone glued to his ear as we were descending under 10,000 ft. People just dont care.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 5:16 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by amartin1979
I had a guy chatting on his cell phone as we were in final approach at SFO. He was sitting in the exit row, seatback reclined and his cell phone glued to his ear as we were descending under 10,000 ft. People just dont care.
Should say "stupid people just don't care."

I go out of my way to help people, but am the first to become very aggressive if there's a poo for brains impinging on others' civility. I'm 6'4" and have bony elbows, and darned if they don't end up in the funniest places when jerks are trying to take over.

I had the pleasure twice this week to lose control of them on a LAS/FLL flight and a FLL/PHX flight. On the return flight, I helped the lady next to me confirm where her connecting flight should be, as well as the likelihood of getting on the next flight out to LAS because the FLL/PHX flight was late. The FAs made an announcement asking all PHX terminating pax to stay seated and allow the connecting pax off first to increase their chances of making their flights. Seated in an aisle, I stood up and got the overhead for the lady beside me and let her step by. A transplanted old fart New Yorker darned near knocked her over before the door was opened. I had just heard him on a cell phone talking to a buddy about golfing in Scottsdale the next day and he had just bought there a month before. Hmmm, wonder if his drives were straight with that swelled up nose he got by walking into my left elbow?
Old Sep 22, 2006, 7:00 pm

Programs: US NW EK
Originally Posted by KevAZ
Hmmm, wonder if his drives were straight with that swelled up nose he got by walking into my left elbow?
Ohhh I like that! People are completely ridiculous. I am to the point now where I don't even want to work in the industry anymore. It's sad because I love helping people and I really really love airplanes but going to work and being verbally abused on an almost daily basis is taking it's toll. And I'm only 22! I had a lady today that was so mean to me when all I was trying to do was help her fix a mistake that she made, that she actually made me cry, which was very embarressing but I couldn't help it. It was either cry or lose my job and get arrested, us girls and our damn hormones!
Old Sep 22, 2006, 7:59 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by A380US
I had a lady today that was so mean to me when all I was trying to do was help her fix a mistake that she made, that she actually made me cry, which was very embarressing but I couldn't help it.
I hate hearing stories like that -- even moreso when the pax made an error. The front lines of any airline job are stressful in the extreme. Add a winter nor'easter or a 4 hour ground stop in LGA and things ratchet up about 14 notches. I don't know how you folks do it anymore. I've seen ridiculous rants and tantrums thrown by men in their 50s that are beyond description. I'm actually embarrassed for them!

A380US -- you'll have to keep reminding yourself that some folks just have miserable lives and wake up on the wrong side of the bed 6 days out of 7. They are prone to fly off the handle and always moody. When gold bricks don't fall from the sky, they get angry and since you're the front line person they interact with -- you're going to get it. Just do your best to do YOUR JOB and maintain a pleasant and helpful disposition and if folks get their panties in a knot, you'll always know you did your best. Chin up!
Old Sep 22, 2006, 8:15 pm

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by KevAZ
. . . wonder if his drives were straight with that swelled up nose he got by walking into my left elbow?
Wow, a self-annointed enforcer and bouncer, just like a frustrated junior high bully in the cafeteria line. Perhaps you can post some further violence tips on how to pop folks in the knee caps when they cut in line in the grocery store too.

You've got to be kidding me. Promoting retribution and cabin violence in this forum?

Last edited by TPA us ff; Sep 22, 2006 at 8:26 pm
Old Sep 22, 2006, 8:18 pm

Programs: US NW EK
Originally Posted by sbtinme
I hate hearing stories like that -- even moreso when the pax made an error. The front lines of any airline job are stressful in the extreme. Add a winter nor'easter or a 4 hour ground stop in LGA and things ratchet up about 14 notches. I don't know how you folks do it anymore. I've seen ridiculous rants and tantrums thrown by men in their 50s that are beyond description. I'm actually embarrassed for them!

A380US -- you'll have to keep reminding yourself that some folks just have miserable lives and wake up on the wrong side of the bed 6 days out of 7. They are prone to fly off the handle and always moody. When gold bricks don't fall from the sky, they get angry and since you're the front line person they interact with -- you're going to get it. Just do your best to do YOUR JOB and maintain a pleasant and helpful disposition and if folks get their panties in a knot, you'll always know you did your best. Chin up!
Thanks! I usually do pretty good with these types of people. Today just wasn't my day. I am always in awe over the fact that my co-workers have been doing this for 20+ years and they haven't gone insane yet. I still haven't decided what I want to do as a career yet, but I do know that it won't include front line airline customer service. I think it would be easier to deal with if they paid us more. If I was making the 18 an hour my co-workers are then I think it would be easier to handle this stuff. But for my 8.72 an hour it gets tough. I don't want to sound like I'm whining, most of the time I really enjoy my job, and I'm very thankful to have a job.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 8:44 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by A380US
Ohhh I like that! People are completely ridiculous. I am to the point now where I don't even want to work in the industry anymore. It's sad because I love helping people and I really really love airplanes but going to work and being verbally abused on an almost daily basis is taking it's toll. And I'm only 22! I had a lady today that was so mean to me when all I was trying to do was help her fix a mistake that she made, that she actually made me cry, which was very embarressing but I couldn't help it. It was either cry or lose my job and get arrested, us girls and our damn hormones!
That's the kind of story I really hate to hear, but having traveled for a few years, a lot of this has to do with the fact that the quality of the air travel experience has decayed tremendously over the last 5 years. Crowded planes, understaffing, confusing fare rules, delays, uncertainty about being able to get food and security hassles have tripled the stress factor associated with flying. I used to absolutely love flying and now I dread each and every trip. What was once something enjoyable has become as much fun as a root canal. I know this is no excuse for the way people behave sometimes, but it does explain a little bit why this is going on. Throw labor troubles and lower pay into the mix and the job can't be nearly as fun as it once was. In spite of it all, most of us here really appreciate the job you do under difficult circumstances -- just don't let the nasty people get you down and don't take it personally.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by TPA us ff
Wow, a self-annointed enforcer and bouncer, just like a frustrated junior high bully in the cafeteria line. Perhaps you can post some further violence tips on how to pop folks in the knee caps when they cut in line in the grocery store too.

You've got to be kidding me. Promoting retribution and cabin violence in this forum?
I have to disagree with this. While on one hand it isnt a good thing to do. I guess, well, sometimes someone needs to do something that isnt good. It sounds like one of those situations.

I havent encountered this on a plane much but coming off either a train or subway in New York earlier this year, forget which, while most people waited for people to get off like they are supposed to, some jerk charged in and literally pushed about a 70 year old, tiny lady out of his way. He nearly knocked her over. People in the right place, beside her, sort of caught her and kept her from falling over. I was behind her and since Im a lot bigger than her, and him, he tried to go around me. I hip checked him and then threw a shoulder into him bouncing him into the partition by the door. I did say excuse me as I walked by him, and felt a little guilty. But not that guilty. Had he bumped into me I probably wouldnt have even said anything. But knocking some poor old lady out of the way is just a bit much.

What Im shocked about is people not following instructions regarding headphones and especially cell phones. Im not seeing that in the flights Im on.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 2:10 am

Programs: US Silver, HH Gold VIP, Avis Preferred Select. P-*A Silver
Originally Posted by nshook12
Newbie to the site in regards to posting but today was one of those days that you just have to rant about. I travel clt-dca every monday and the return every friday. Today US 1721, I sat 6a, the guy beside me was already seated in the middle before I arrived. Both armrest up and when I asked him to lower them I got the most awful look. He then proceed to do the typical chat on the phone, fidget with the blackberry. Take off time, as we are taking off down the run way, out comes the noise cancelling headphone, deep into his bag and out pops a bottle of diet coke and back goes the seat. All of this before we were 20 ft off the ground. He then graps his newspaper from the pocket and steched it out all over mine and poor 6c's area. Landing time, seat still back headphones still on, and refuses to change that situation even after some scolding from the FA. Its no wonder that flights are diverted, security lines are long, and I still cant take my hair gel on a plane with idiots like this refusing to obey the rules.
Some people just need to be whacked with the skinny end of a fishing pole right on the back of the neck....I hate the flyers that think they are "all mighty" because they are som high elite level. Heck...we are all working stiffs...some of us have to fly al lot for a living. These "high and mighty" people believe the world owes them a favor. My advice to those is...if you think you are that important pay to get in F or just shut up....and liten to what you are told.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 2:52 pm
nsr

maybe if FA will enforce it more strictly, people will stop doing it. Only once I did see a FA almost shouting at one of the pax to turn off his phone while taking off. Eventually this pax turned off the phone and sat quitely the whole flight.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 6:00 pm

Wink

Originally Posted by tonyflo04
Some people just need to be whacked with the skinny end of a fishing pole right on the back of the neck....I hate the flyers that think they are "all mighty" because they are som high elite level. Heck...we are all working stiffs...some of us have to fly al lot for a living. These "high and mighty" people believe the world owes them a favor. My advice to those is...if you think you are that important pay to get in F or just shut up....and liten to what you are told.
Absolutely agree. People seem to be losing respect for each other these days. had a similar situation on the Paris Metro (subway) a while back. A young guy realised suddenly it was his stop, and proceeded to knock several elderly people sideways. I know, this has nothing to do with the post, but it says a lot about the lack of respect people have for their fellow travellers these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.