Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: US Guide to CLT (The Charlotte Douglas Airport) (LUS)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:32 pm

Flight connection time through Charlotte

I am flying from New Orleans to Charlotte and then onto to London, UK. US airways has given me only 1 hour and 10 mins between flights for the connection.

Can anyone advise if this is going to be enough time? Alternative is asking to change flights and spend 4 and 1/2 hours in Charlotte airport.

thanks
Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by LPAC79
I am flying from New Orleans to Charlotte and then onto to London, UK. US airways has given me only 1 hour and 10 mins between flights for the connection.

Can anyone advise if this is going to be enough time? Alternative is asking to change flights and spend 4 and 1/2 hours in Charlotte airport.

thanks
You won't have to reclear security on the way out of the US CLT, so its fine as long your flight is on time. There are moving walkways to speed your journey around the airport. If the flight to London is the last of the day, its your hazzard since a 30 minute delay makes your life quite stressful.

I made an international to domestic connection in 21 minutes last year - cant really call it standby as I got to the gate at the end of boarding, got my pass, and got on -- avoided my scheduled 4.5 hour layover. So short connections are doable.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
As long as you don't have a weather delay, an hour and ten minutes in Charlotte is more than enough time. The international flights leave from D Concourse (which is very short itself) - and ludocdoc is right... there are moving sidewalks to help. From New Orleans, you will be arriving at either B or C Concourse - I'd just study a map of the airport to get an idea of where you will be going - you can get from the end of B or C to D in about 15 minutes.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
I agree that 70 minutes is normally fine, but the big question mark is weather.

If it's critical that you get to London on the scheduled day, you should either determine whether there's an alternate flight leaving later (maybe to LHR if you're going to LGW, or vice versa), or go with the 4-1/2 hour delay (which is usually my choice in either CLT or PHL).
Old Jan 16, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I would be aware of other connection options just in case things look like they are running late. Have the US airways telephone number programed into your cell phone. This way, the second a delay is announced, you can start planning your backup - but most of the time, it's not needed.

The PHL-LHR flight should leave later than the CLT-LGW flight, so you maybe able to use that as a backup.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta SM, Marriott Plat , Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, IHG Spire
Anyone been to the new Burger Place? I think its in D. I passed by and didn't have time to grab one. Looked packed.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman, *A Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
CLT Master Plan Images

Ran across these on another forum but have not seen them posted here on FT:

http://www.twgarchitects.com/portfol...io_aviation=10
http://www.twgarchitects.com/portfol...io_aviation=13

They are renderings from an architectural firm showing future plans for CLT. They have conceptual drawings for both the people mover, and the new terminal:

Interesting stuff!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: US dirt (former CP), Marriott Gold, UA Prem Exec, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Dreamworks
Anyone been to the new Burger Place? I think its in D. I passed by and didn't have time to grab one. Looked packed.
The new burger place is Bad Daddy's and is in C, around C6 (unless there is another one I'm unfamiliar with). I haven't been to the airport location, but the original one in the Dilworth neighborhood in Charlotte is very good, well priced and always crowded.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta SM, Marriott Plat , Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by dvanrip
The new burger place is Bad Daddy's and is in C, around C6 (unless there is another one I'm unfamiliar with). I haven't been to the airport location, but the original one in the Dilworth neighborhood in Charlotte is very good, well priced and always crowded.
That's the one. Thanks. I'll try it out next time I'm not feeling fat enough.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dreamworks
That's the one. Thanks. I'll try it out next time I'm not feeling fat enough.
Just went to the Bad Daddy's in Ballantyne last Friday and was delicious. Good beer specials too though that might not apply at the airport.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by dvanrip
I was there a couple of weeks ago, disappointed, service was slow, the burger was bland and the roll was cold. Better burger at Chilis.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: US dirt (former CP), Marriott Gold, UA Prem Exec, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by ellinj
I was there a couple of weeks ago, disappointed, service was slow, the burger was bland and the roll was cold. Better burger at Chilis.
Wow; that's disappointing to hear. I hope they didnt just slap their name on sub-par quality for franchising fees. I'll have to actually try them out next time I fly to compare against the original.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by RgrMurdoch
Ran across these on another forum but have not seen them posted here on FT:

http://www.twgarchitects.com/portfol...io_aviation=10
http://www.twgarchitects.com/portfol...io_aviation=13

They are renderings from an architectural firm showing future plans for CLT. They have conceptual drawings for both the people mover, and the new terminal:

Interesting stuff!
Orginally Concourse E was to be disconnected from the main terminal like the new international terminal will be. and it would have a walkway from the commuter terminal to concourse D. Similar to the one from the new international terminal to Concourse A. Idk but that idea seemed more efficent and symetrical to me. If this ever happens. They will have done a great job at utlizing all avalible space at the airport.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
What is with the shake-down occurring in the men's restrooms. There is an airport employee that hands you a paper towel and then expects a tip.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by lougord99
What is with the shake-down occurring in the men's restrooms. There is an airport employee that hands you a paper towel and then expects a tip.
Some prior discussion of restroom attendants in CLT can be found in this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.