ARCHIVE: US Guide to CLT (The Charlotte Douglas Airport) (LUS)

Old Jun 2, 09, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
ARCHIVE: US Guide to CLT (The Charlotte Douglas Airport) (LUS)

US in CLT

US operates flights out of concourses B, C, D and E.
- All transatlantic flights out of CLT are at the far end of concourse D (Lufthansa included)
- Concourse E is US Airways Express concourse (regional flights – RJs, turboprops)
- B is usually used for flights to the West
- C is usually used for East coast flights. Republic operated flights fly out of C as well.
- D4(A and B) are also express gates (Piedmont operated flights.)
- Concourse A is used by other airlines (Air Canada, Air Tran, American Airlines, Continental, Delta/NW, United)

Getting from concourse to concourse

There are several moving walkways at the airport. At the least at each beginning of the concourse there is a moving walkway, sometimes there are several (concourses A and E). There is also a moving walkway between A/B and C/D/E area. One does have to take stairs/escalator/elevator to go to concourse E as it is on the lower level.

There is no need to leave secure area to move from one concourse to another. Exceptions are arriving international flights. In such case one has to clear immigration and customs, reclaim bags and proceed through security. Keep in mind that if you purchased any liquids on the plane (duty free) you will have to follow the 3-1-1 rule and even check the bottles!

Security at CLT

Security wait times can vary widely both by time/day. Monday mornings can have long lines.

Security Checkpoint A - Mostly non-US airlines with an exception or two.
Security Checkpoint B - Pre-Check and Preferred (First/Envoy/*G ...)
Security Checkpoint C-D - Regular US
Security Checkpoint E - International

CLT doesn’t have Clear line.

Since all the checkpoints share the secure area behind it really doesn't matter which one you use, they will all get you access to all the gates. Above is just general suggestion.

Reasonable connection times in CLT

Most of the time CLT is really good in terms of on-time performance. However summer thunderstorms can drastically affect your travel experience.

Domestic Connections
A minimum 1 hour scheduled connection time should be sufficient for domestic connections.

I'm a non-US passport holder connecting in CLT from an international to a domestic flight. How long of a layover should I schedule?

You should schedule a minimum of 2 hours to be safe to accommodate CBP, claiming your bags and then rechecking. (ie: LGW-CLT-PHX)

{reader input would be helpful for domestic-to-international, and international-to-international connections}

Parking at CLT

Parking info can be found at this link.

What are the current parking rates?

Hourly Parking: Free for the first 30 minutes,
$3 hourly
$17 daily maximum

Daily Parking:
$7 daily maximum

Daily Paring North: $7 per day

Long Term Parking: $5 per day

Overflow Parking: $10 flat fee

Curbside Valet Parking:
$19 daily maximum rate

Business Valet:
$10 per day

Park'N Go Self Parking: $4.95 per day

Cell Phone Lot: Park for free while waiting for arriving flights at CLT’s Cell Phone Lot. All drivers are required to remain with their vehicles. Parking is provided on a first come, first served basis as space is available.

Rental Cars
All vehicle rental counters are located on the lower Baggage Claim Level. You will have to take a shuttle to the respective car agency. There is no consolidated shuttle.

More info.

Where to eat in the airport

Good map.

Atrium

Brookwood Farms BBQ
Burger King
Chili's
Chili's To Go
Cinnabon
First In Flight Bar
Freshens Frozen Treats
Manchu Wok
Mrs. Fields Cookies
Pizza Hut
Quizno's
Salsarita's
Starbucks
Tequileria
Yovana

Concourse A

Restaurants
Cinnabon
Wendy's
Snack-N-Run
World Traveler Bar

Concourse B

Bojangles'
California Pizza Kitchen
California Pizza Kitchen To Go
Freshens Frozen Treats
Great American Bagel
Pino Gelato
Starbucks
Stock Car Café
Taste of Carolina Bar

Concourse C

Bad Daddy's Burger Bar
Carolina Sports Bar
Fresh Attractions
Nathan's
Phillips Famous Seafood
Sbarro
Starbucks
TCBY

Concourse D

Carolina Beer Co.
Coca Cola 600 Café
Freschetta Pizza
Great American Bagel

Concourse E

Burger King
Cinnabon/Edy's Ice Cream
Fox Skybox
Fresh Attractions Kiosk
Salsarita's
Speedway Grill
Wolfgang Puck Gourmet Express
Zia

D/E Connector

Jamba Juice
Starbucks
Yadkin Valley Wine Bar

Baggage Claim

Charlotte Bistro

Ticketing

Starbucks

Shops

Atrium

Brookstone Kiosk
CD Main Gifts & News
Iacon Sunglass Design
The NASCAR Shop
Queen City Gifts & News
Simply Books
The Body Shop
Time to Write
World Passage - (Duty Free)

Concourse A

Charlotte's Landing Gifts & News
Executive Shoeshine

Concourse B

Daily News
Lids
The Gathering
The News Connection

Concourse C

Bijoux Terner
Brookstone Store
Erwin Pearl
Mind Works
The News Connection
Via Gifts & News

Concourse D

D Cart News Stand
World Passage - (Duty Free)

Concourse E

Charlotte Daily News
Charlotte News Connection

D/E Connector

Airport Wireless
Destinations Gifts & News
Erwin Pearl Forever Silver
Executive Shoeshine
Harley-Davidson
Johnston & Murphy
Lids
Rocky Mountain Chocolate
Terminal Getaway Spa

Baggage Claim

Charlotte's Landing II Gifts & News

CLT lounges

US has two Clubs in CLT. Bigger one between concourses C and D and smaller one in concourse B.

The USO Lounge is located in the upper level Atrium. Access via stairway or elevator located inside The Airport Business Center.

There are no showers in any of the US Clubs (or any in the airport that I know of)

Currency Exchange
There is a currency exchange outside the security area. Will you get a better deal with Travelex or your ATM card? Probably your ATM card...but that's really for you to determine.

Wireless in CLT
CLT offers free Wi-Fi around the airport. However if you are in US Club this might not be the case. US Club is now (or soon will) providing free access for club members independently (through T-Mobile).

Geocaching
There are two geocaches that serve as Travel Bug hotels. (GC1HB5Y and GC1HB5Y - the later is accessible with a parking shuttle.) Several others are within 5 mile radius of the airport that are also worth a visit if you have a car to drive around.

Do I have time to go into Charlotte?
You could take a cab but there is no public transportation from the airport to Charlotte. I would venture to town only if there is more than 3 hours to kill and there is nothing you can do at the airport.

Unfortunately, there are no lockers in CLT so you can't store your carry-on for a couple of hours while you hit the town.

What to do in Charlotte?

Advice needed here.

How to get to Charlotte?

You can take a bus. ($1.50 - exact change is needed.)

Taxi is another option unless you want to rent a car or have someone meet you. There is a flat rate of $25 (plus $1 fuel surcharge plus tip) to go to Charlotte within I-277 loop.

Another option is to use Rose Airport Express shuttle.

Is Charlotte safe?
Most places within I-277 loop are fairly safe, especially uptown Charlotte.

Looking for some cool bars or restaurants?

Good info can be found here.

Where can I smoke at the airport?

Charlotte Douglas International is a smoke- free facility. Smoking is prohibited in all public areas, which includes all restaurants and bars.

Smokers on the front curb of the terminal are encouraged to use courtesy areas on each end of Baggage Claim and Ticketing levels.

CLT Fast Facts

Rankings, 2008
(Source: Airports Council International)
8th Nationwide in Operations
14th Nationwide in Passengers
34th Nationwide in Cargo

Passenger Stats, 2008
International: 2,176,273
Air Carrier: 20,554,559
Regional: 12,088,188
Total: 34,739,020

Cargo, 2008 (tons)
Airfreight/express: 99,742
Air mail: 15,174
International: 17,093
Total: 132,009

Daily Departures
655 Daily Departures (April 2009)

Cities Served
Non-stop service to 134 Destinations

Terminal
One terminal with five concourses totalling over
1.7 million square feet

Runways
•18C/36C (north/south): 10,000 ft
•18L/36R (north/south): 8,676 ft
•18R/36L (north/south): 9,000ft
•5/23 (crosswind): 7,500 ft

Aircraft Gates
•Concourse A: 12 gates
•Concourse B: 16 gates
•Concourse C: 18 gates
•Concourse D: 13 gates
•Concourse E: 32 gates

Last edited by iztok; Dec 1, 12 at 11:45 am Reason: Updated parking options.
Old Jun 2, 09, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by iztok View Post
US in CLT

- Concourse A is used by other airlines (Air Canada, Air Tran, American Airlines, Continental, Delta/NW, United, Jet Blue …)
jetBlue is in D unless they moved when NW just switched gates with Airtran to be on the same side as DL in the A concourse.

Other than that it's great. You might want to reinforce that all concourses are connected behind security (although hopefully most people can figure that out based on what you wrote).

What to do in Charlotte?
The Whitewater place is right across i-485 from the airport with rafting, wall climbing, and trails. They have an ad for it in the A concourse. There is minimal shopping uptown. Shopping consists of Concord Mills up I-85 across from Lowes Motor Speedway, SouthPark Mall for high end shopping and the intersection of Sharon and Fairview, and other malls also.

I'm never in CLT enough to really do anything.

Last edited by gj83; Jun 2, 09 at 3:45 pm
Old Jun 2, 09, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
I would never personally book myself or anyone else with a connection less than one hour, since US boards 30 minutes prior to departure, likes to push back early, and because being held on the tarmac, waiting for a gate, has dramatically increased at CLT.

It is also quite a hike from the endpoints of E to the endpoints of B and C, if you've never had that "pleasure." Believe me, it is not fun running from the end of E to the end of B or C.

So I suggest a connection time longer than 45 minutes, so that you have time to walk from the farthest endpoints, as well as stop for the bathroom and/or food/drink on the way, if needed, especially since US coach is all BOB snacks/meals.

Express aircraft also depart from D, specifically D4A and D4B. My TRI, ROA, etc., Dash 8 flights sometimes arrive at and/or depart from that gate, in addition to the E concourse.
Old Jun 2, 09, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Updated with suggestions and added some additional info.
Old Jun 2, 09, 5:30 pm

Programs: EZ Pass, Starbucks Gold, Red Cross blood donor
Awesome. I'll watch this thread and look for important things to update the PHL thread with (like smoking)
Old Jun 2, 09, 6:26 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
US in CLT

- Smaller mainline and Republic operated US Express jets (Embraer) can usually be found in D where you can also find JetBlue. (Some are reporting that one can find some other US Express flights in D.)
- B is usually used for flights to the West
- C is usually used for East coast flights
Republic operated flights depart from C. Piedmont operates out of D4 A and B (the only express gate on D).
Old Jun 2, 09, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cwe84 View Post
Republic operated flights depart from C. Piedmont operates out of D4 A and B (the only express gate on D).
Cheers! Fixed.
Old Jun 2, 09, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage, HHonors Silver, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
Nice job, but you may want to correct the information about no public transportation to and from the airport. In fact, here's the link to the schedule for the airport route: http://ww.charmeck.org/cats/routes/05%20Airport.pdf.

Will need to get you some suggestions on what to do here.
Old Jun 3, 09, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by CLTFlyer View Post
Will need to get you some suggestions on what to do here.
EpiCenter is the place to go now, right? I've only been up there once to the dueling piano bar. There's also a bowling alley, movie theatre, bars, restaurants. I can't seem to find an official website for it, but here's something: http://www.charlottestylemag.com/tag...tte-epicenter/
Old Jun 4, 09, 11:31 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat
Best Restaurants in CLT

I am flying DCA-CLT-ILM on Sunday night late -- and am thinking of foregoing my usual Legal Seafood Pre-DCA meal to kill some of the 2 hours I have in CLT. What are the best restaurants in CLT? What time do they close?
Old Jun 4, 09, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris4096 View Post
I am flying DCA-CLT-ILM on Sunday night late -- and am thinking of foregoing my usual Legal Seafood Pre-DCA meal to kill some of the 2 hours I have in CLT. What are the best restaurants in CLT? What time do they close?
Locations and list can be found here:

http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres...lDirectory.pdf

I /think/ all are open at least until 10pm.

If you like seafood, Phillips Famous Seafood might be for you. If you want some local (BBQ) then pick Brookwood Farms BBQ. They you have few typical chains on the list as well as few (sports) bars.

Nothing to really write home about to be honest.
Old Jun 4, 09, 11:47 am

Nothing to really write home about to be honest.
Agreed. I usually alternate between Chilis and Tequileria b/c there is no real sitdown restaurant (just a bar) in A and I don't venture into the other concourses too much unless I'm flying out of it. I was surprised how much stuff was out in E last time I went there, but I never walk to E just to eat and I fly out of E once a year.
Old Jun 4, 09, 11:50 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent

I'm a non-US passport holder connecting in PHL from an international to a domestic flight. How long of a layover should I schedule?

You should schedule a minimum of 2 hours to be safe to accommodate CBP, claiming your bags and then rechecking. (ie: LGW-CLT-PHX)

If I'm connecting through PHL on this route, I would add 4 hours.
Old Jun 6, 09, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
I always stop at carolina beer. Good microbrewery.

If I recall pints are around $8, high for a brew pub but about average for an airport. Food is marginal but the local beers are quite good.
Old Jun 8, 09, 12:13 am

Some CLT thoughts...

If you are in town for an extended layover (planned or "courtesy" of the airline), visit www.charlottesgotalot.com to check out options of things to do. If you really have a lot of time and are outdoorsy, agree that the US National Whitewater Center is a great place to visit to hike trails or hop onto a kayak or go rafting.

Cab rides to uptown are flat rate ($26 I believe), though coming back to the airport is on the meter (but is usually about the same.) Uptown has several good bars and restaurants, but no shopping (as of yet, we're working on it ). The EpiCentre is maybe the best single place to go, as you have several bars/restaurants in one place and it is, like everything else in uptown, within walking distance of anywhere else you'd like to go.

Do not take the bus unless you are really trying to save a dime. Cab ride is a quick 15 minutes, and traffic should never be an issue.

For oenophiles, there is the Yadkin Valley Wine Bar that's pretty good along the people-mover that takes you to concourses D/E. Trivia question/answer--North Carolina was the largest domestic wine-producing state prior to Prohibition. Damn excursion into teetotalism ruined it for us!

In concourse D, the brewpub is the way to go. Good beer choices in the nicest terminal CLT has (it is the intl terminal). The NASCAR cafe/traveler pub is where to go in concourse A (non-US flights.) Say hi to Ruth the bartender, who is great. Otherwise, for airport food, just standard stuff. The Brookwood BBQ is probably the best/most unique in the atrium area.

Agree that 45 min is minimum connection time for domestic, but if you're going from/to Express in terminal E, add 15 min b/c concourse E is a bit out of the way, as me4yankees pointed out.

If you're a golfer and have time to kill, PM me and I can give you some course rec's.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: