Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delays due to Pope at PHL (Sunday evening)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2015, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Just landed MSP-PHL...about 30 minutes later due to the pope. I think it's terrible that things get delayed because of one person and beyond excessive security. For someone who is supposed to be the "people's pope", it didn't seem to matter much to him what he did to Philly this weekend with closing so much of the city down.
He had nothing to do with the over-the-top airport security measures. As a head of state, our protocol in the USA is a complete ground stop until he departs, just like for our own President (and maybe even VP).

September 11 changed everything, better safe than sorry, out of an abundance of caution and won't someone please THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!?
Old Sep 27, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Yes, the pope himself doesn't make these decisions...but he should know the impacts of them. The shutdown of the city of Philadelphia this weekend was ridiculous and is not granted to any other heads of state on the planet when visiting America.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
This sort of VIP procedure also seemed very much in line with the airfield disruptions I've had every time Air Force One has been coming or going as I was at PHL.

As to the disruption to the city itself, it became an over the top law enforcement feeding frenzy, including hugely inefficient security screening at least partially staffed by the TSA (surprise!) but that's likely a topic for another thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.