Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delays due to Pope at PHL (Sunday evening)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2015, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Delays due to Pope at PHL (Sunday evening)

I'm supposed to be on US4623 (BWI-PHL) with a 6:59PM departure. Gate agent isn't providing much info besides there are delays due to the Pope flying out of PHL right now.

Does anyone have any info as to scope or length of the issue? Is there an FAA posting somewhere?

Thanks for the help
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The Pope is still scheduled to depart 20:00 / 8:00 p.m. local time from what I can see. But

7:00 p.m. Pope Francis will formally meet with organizers, volunteers and benefactors involved with the World Meeting of Families at the Atlantic Aviation hangar in the Philadelphia International Airport (closed, non-public event).

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 27, 2015 at 5:16 pm
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Does anyone know the number assigned to the flight?

Verified AA9420. PHL flight board has 8:00 p.n. departure ex FOB.

Delays showing at PHL.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 27, 2015 at 5:30 pm Reason: Correct
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
The Pope is still scheduled to depart 20:00 / 8:00 p.m. local time from what I can see. But
Thanks

Wow, what a cluster. Complete ground stop for all inbound and outbound flights. Kind of excessive...
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by nautikal
Thanks

Wow, what a cluster. Complete ground stop for all inbound and outbound flights. Kind of excessive...
Agreed, but we don't make those rules (I'll bet the Pope doesn't either).

FAA: http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/Airpor...jsp?q=Phl&go=1

FlightStats PHL: http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airpor...irportCode=PHL

FhlightStats PHL departures: http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...pe=0&x=37&y=11

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 27, 2015 at 5:29 pm
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Does anyone know the number assigned to the flight?

Verified AA9420. PHL flight board has 8:00 p.n. departure ex FOB.

Some delays showing at PHL.
This thread in the consolidated forum has all the details of the Papal visit to the United States:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l-phl-fco.html
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's it. Here's a link on Flightaware (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL9420) for those interested.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm
This thread in the consolidated forum has all the details of the Papal visit to the United States:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l-phl-fco.html
Thanks. Please remove my previous message!
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Listening to LiveATC.net, they're allowing taxiing of commercial planes but are telling them to expect delays and shut engines down when they reach their hold point. The pope just boarded as I write this.

Upon his arrival, delays were generally in the 30-60 minute range. US 754 was told just now that they're about #13 out of 30 waiting to go which will mean a longer wait.

I believe they'll use callsign "Shepherd 1" rather than "American 9420" for those monitoring. It's flying to CIA (Ciampino) not FCO.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by phlwookie
Listening to LiveATC.net, they're allowing taxiing of commercial planes but are telling them to expect delays and shut engines down when they reach their hold point. The pope just boarded as I write this.

Upon his arrival, delays were generally in the 30-60 minute range. US 754 was told just now that they're about #13 out of 30 waiting to go which will mean a longer wait.

I believe they'll use callsign "Shepherd 1" rather than "American 9420" for those monitoring. It's flying to CIA (Ciampino) not FCO.
Yep, Shepherd One was initially media-created, but has been adopted by ATC, etc. The aircraft details, etc. are in the thread linked to by aztimm.

CIA, eh? That needs to be changed in that thread's wiki. Grazie! Or with Pope a Francis, ¡gracias!
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Ground stop for all inbound extended to 8:30PM (wheels up time at the origin) per the captain on my flight. Must be to allow all the departures out of PHL.

Cool...

Thanks all for the info provided. Much appreciated

Edit: Looks like we will be released for takeoff a few minutes before 8.

Last edited by nautikal; Sep 27, 2015 at 5:48 pm
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Probably. Also note that Air Force 2 is departing immediately after Shepherd 1 as VP Biden was among the party sending off the pope.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:56 pm

AA9420 departed 19:47 / 7:47 PM. Bon voyage, all!

Apply TPA to the departures...
Old Sep 27, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Just landed MSP-PHL...about 30 minutes later due to the pope. I think it's terrible that things get delayed because of one person and beyond excessive security. For someone who is supposed to be the "people's pope", it didn't seem to matter much to him what he did to Philly this weekend with closing so much of the city down.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I don't think that the Pope is involved in the FAA's decision-making process. These ground stops are fairly normal for arrivals/departures from civilian airports. Arrival at ADW was just standard airspace.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.