Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Called US reservations; got AA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Angry Called US reservations; got AA

I booked a US flight through Expedia and needed to add my AA number, because somehow Expedia still hasn't figured out how to pass that through (and there's no way to add it online on the US site). So, I called. Got the friendly "Hi, Carl" automated greeting (as opposed to the very unfriendly AA one which addresses me by my first name). I explained my need and the automated system said it was transferring me to that "application."

After holding 15 minutes, the agent answered "American Airlines." I explained what I needed to do, and she asked for my confirmation number. Nope. She couldn't locate my info. I asked if she was really a US agent, given how she'd answered the phone, and she said that they're all one airline now and everything is the same. (Ahem, yeah, no) She basically skipped over my question and comment about needing someone with access to SHARES. She next asked for the flight date and time. Yeah, all she could find was AA flights. She implied that I was mistaken about my departure time. "Are you connecting through DFW?" (I tried not to blow up when explaining yet again that I was on a US flight, which by design would be connecting elsewhere.) Still determined, she asked for the flight number. Nope! That doesn't exist either. Not at all. At this point it reminded me of talking to an outsourced call center where I want to start yelling to be transferred to someone in the U.S. She appeared to be in no hurry to accomplish anything and asked ridiculous questions like whether I'd actually made the reservation using my DM number...and whether I'd gotten assigned an AA number yet! (My AA number is several decades older then my former US one, thanks.)

I once again said I needed to speak to someone with access to SHARES. Finally she agreed to transfer me. That was thankfully rather quick once she relinquished control. It was clear I finally had a US employee on the line. Totally different, straight-to-the-point attitude. She quickly pulled up the record and added my number. Easy. I asked if there was now a different way to reach US. She said she can't give out the direct number, but we're still supposed to call the regular one I used (800.428.4322). She said this is happening frequently now: calls going to US, then to AA, and then being rerouted (and IMHO the US reps are no doubt getting a lot of irate customers who are inappropriately bounced around).

I cannot fathom why Mrs. So-and-so would pretend to be able to help when she clearly had no access to the US system. What if I didn't know what I was talking about? Would she have kept this up all night, saying my reservation, flights, etc. don't even exist? I get sad/angry thinking about elderly/disabled/distressed people calling and getting this sort of treatment. Imagine if you needed to change your flight because you'd had a death in the family or accident or something (aka you're really worked up), and the rep just keeps nonchalantly saying you have no reservation?! Seriously.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
"Drain down", eh? This is a big mistake on behalf of the new management. Along with the AA IVR changes, etc. It's like they made you run through a gantlet.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by JDiver
"Drain down", eh? This is a big mistake on behalf of the new management. Along with the AA IVR changes, etc. It's like they made you run through a gantlet.
It would seem that some in the company think the drain-down has already begun (or concluded), and there's no reason why anyone would need anything other than SABRE.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The exact same thing happened to me, except I needed to talk about an AA reservation and it connected me to a US Air rep because the next reservation in the system on my number is on US.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
The exact same thing happened to me, except I needed to talk about an AA reservation and it connected me to a US Air rep because the next reservation in the system on my number is on US.
Interesting. The system would've thought I had zero reservations (since I was calling to add my number to a US one), so perhaps it defaults to AA when nothing appears scheduled.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:47 pm

Location: Near PHL, PA and GCM, CI and sometimes PLJ, Placencia. Belize
Programs: AA-EXP, DL-Gold, Bonvoy-Gold
It continues...

Called the US Gold line (now answered AA Plat) with a US-related issue. On hold 10 minutes and decided to call again.

Called the main US number - after a long BS announcement about prohibited items in carry-on (when will they finally get rid of that..??), an AA agent answered. Since the issue related to the US DM M/C Companion Certificate, I got transferred. Luckily, I got the best US agent I have spoken to in a very long time, so the issue was 100% resolved.

You'd think they'd realize we call a specific number for a reason instead of wasting everyone's time.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PhillyFive
Called the US Gold line (now answered AA Plat) with a US-related issue. On hold 10 minutes and decided to call again.

Called the main US number - after a long BS announcement about prohibited items in carry-on (when will they finally get rid of that..??), an AA agent answered. Since the issue related to the US DM M/C Companion Certificate, I got transferred. Luckily, I got the best US agent I have spoken to in a very long time, so the issue was 100% resolved.

You'd think they'd realize we call a specific number for a reason instead of wasting everyone's time.
Yes, I had to endure the hazardous materials BS as part of my hold time. Someone claimed that's an FAA requirement, but I haven't experienced it with other carriers.

As inefficient as this experience was, the worst part for me was ensuring one of those old-school AA agents (that remind me of the old days of the people you'd encounter when calling the phone company). No matter how many times I clearly started my issue, she kept plugging away in SABRE with no hope of resolution. I'd normally admire that sort of tenacity if it was actually working towards resolution. This just seemed either downright stubborn (like she would get a demerit if she had to transfer me) or completely unintelligent.

And I guess it would be sour grapes if I mentioned that anytime I had this sort of issue in the past, all I had to do was email the gold address with the confirmation number. Didn't even need to include my DM number since they had my email on file. I didn't realize what an apparent luxury that was!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.