Wiki Posts
Search

PHL-LHR-AMS with overnight layover - baggage check

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2015, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro

I have an itinerary in April, one PNR, PHL-LHR on AA/US arrives 10:10pm, and I have LHR-AMS departing the next day at 11:55am on BA. I did this to avoid the red eye, and will overnight in a hotel.

Can I check my bag thru to AMS from PHL or will I have to reclaim in LHR; if the latter, can I immediately recheck, or will I have to take it to the hotel overnight?

Last edited by phillychuck; Feb 13, 2015 at 6:26 pm
Old Feb 21, 2015, 3:48 am
Original Poster

bump up
Old Feb 21, 2015, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by phillychuck
I have an itinerary in April, one PNR, PHL-LHR on AA/US arrives 10:10pm, and I have LHR-AMS departing the next day at 11:55am on BA. I did this to avoid the red eye, and will overnight in a hotel.

Can I check my bag thru to AMS from PHL or will I have to reclaim in LHR; if the latter, can I immediately recheck, or will I have to take it to the hotel overnight?
Interesting question. I connected at LHR in Nov and Dec, to and from Russia.
On the way there I picked up my bag at LHR. On the way back (check in with S7 at OVB), I didn't.
I don't know if the issue is due to AA or something else that stopped them from checking it all of the way through.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I know AA has a rule that it will not check through bags on a greater than 12 hour connection, but since PHL-LHR would be on US not AA, I don't know the rule for US. Since it involves US, you should probably ask if this can be moved to the US Airways board, not the Pre-Consolidation AA board.

I do know that if you can't check all the way through, then you will have to wait until the next day to recheck with BA.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:58 pm
formerly bdohmen

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card

I have never done the US daytime flight, I guess as of today no one has, but generally when you have a connection at LHR that involves an overnight regardless of how short, you have to collect your bags at LHR and recheck.

Never done east bound but having done a year worth of near monthly AMS LHR (overnight) PHL it's always been that way.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
I honestly doubt US will check it all the way through as that 12+ hour overnight connection is probably actually classified as a stopover. May be worth calling in about.

As an alternative, LHR has a Left Baggage service here: http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...s/left-baggage There may be other options for similar, I don't know.

Just did AMS-LHR-PHL today ... there are well-labeled luggage lockers at AMS outside security, but obviously you need them at LHR, where I don't ever recall seeing them in T3 or T5. That may be due to terrorist (IRA mainly) bomb threats in years past. They seem to operate Left Baggage instead.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks for answers so far. So presumably I'll need to claim bags and take them thru customs. Is there a re-check area right beyond (like in typical US airports), or would I have to take them back with me to my hotel and check them with BA the next morning (I may need to post to the BA forum as well).
Old Feb 22, 2015, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Thanks for answers so far. So presumably I'll need to claim bags and take them thru customs. Is there a re-check area right beyond (like in typical US airports), or would I have to take them back with me to my hotel and check them with BA the next morning (I may need to post to the BA forum as well).
Hi phillychuck,

On a BA-BA connection ( ie EDI-LHR-USA) with an overnight in London Heathrow my bags are tagged through and I have to ask to get them just sent to Heathrow.
US-BA might be different but as it is connecting to BA the bags could be sent over to BA for overnight storage ( you may want to check)

There is no recheck area at LHR but there is a luggage storage area in arrivals but you do need to change terminals ( BA leaves from T5 for AMS) so you may want to take the bag to the hotel in any event.

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 22, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I think the answer varies. Last year, we had a 20 hour connection in HKG (on a *A itinerary purchased with US miles) and we checked our bags through PER-BKG-HKG-YVR-LAX-PHL and never touched the bags in between.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
If US will check your bags through all the way to AMS, then you will not collect them at LHR - they will be automatically transferred and stored for you.

If they won't check the bags through, then you will have to go through customs and retrieve your bags, and recheck them the next morning.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

I did get an automated response from US AIR:

If customer is checking in with a connection (within 24hrs) on two different dates the bag must be checked point to point. The baggage cannot sit overnight when the arrival is on a different date from the next departure. The customer must collect their baggage in the overnight city and check-in again next day.
So I guess I will have to claim and recheck.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Gold, AF apologist
I thought I would bump this thread. Looking to take the PHL-LHR day flight and connect to CDG the next morning in November. Did you end up collecting your bags and rechecking the next day? Thanks!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mapboyPHL
I thought I would bump this thread. Looking to take the PHL-LHR day flight and connect to CDG the next morning in November. Did you end up collecting your bags and rechecking the next day? Thanks!
Unfortunately I had to cancel at the last minute so never tested the system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.