Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US Express Dash-8s: passengers moved for weight/balance based on location, not status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Express Dash-8s: passengers moved for weight/balance based on location, not status

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2015, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

When passengers need to be moved around on Dash-8s and other small planes, are they moved around based only on location, and regardless of status?

I had a seat in row 1 on a Dash 8 this weekend but when I was boarding, the gate agent (in Charlotte) gave me a new boarding pass, for a seat far back in the plane.

I saw other passengers still sitting at the front of the plane, so they weren't moved around like I was.

I got really air-sick and even though the additional time it took to get off the plane didn't cause any issues then, sometimes I have a tight connection and want to be off first, so I'd rather be at the front.

I am Platinum (former US Gold); does that make any difference in being shifted around for weight/balance issues?

Thanks.
Old May 25, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
When passengers need to be moved around on Dash-8s and other small planes, are they moved around based only on location, and regardless of status?

I had a seat in row 1 on a Dash 8 this weekend but when I was boarding, the gate agent (in Charlotte) gave me a new boarding pass, for a seat far back in the plane.

I saw other passengers still sitting at the front of the plane, so they weren't moved around like I was.

I got really air-sick and even though the additional time it took to get off the plane didn't cause any issues then, sometimes I have a tight connection and want to be off first, so I'd rather be at the front.

I am Platinum (former US Gold); does that make any difference in being shifted around for weight/balance issues?

Thanks.
If they are moving people around for weight distribution, your status usually won't matter. Your best play is to tell the gate agent that you get air sick and need/want a seat close to the front due to that. My experience has been that the gate agents will try to accommodate an elite over a non elite so long as you ask. With that said, the Dash-8's are probably my least favorite aircraft ever to fly.
Old May 25, 2015, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Thanks, very helpful.

I agree about the Dash-8; it was only a 20-minute flight but I felt ill the rest of the day. Next time I will drive or take a train.
Old May 25, 2015, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
W&B means moving people from specific locations to another. Even status passengers weigh something !

True, the GA could rearrange the entire aircraft, but that's not gonna happen and still push anywhere close to schedule.
Old May 25, 2015, 6:58 pm

Greatest impact is moving row 1 obviously.

Last Dash I was on had a whopping 5 passengers on it. We all got sent to the back, it was a choppy day so made for a roller coaster ride but mercifully short.

Last edited by LowlyDLsilver; May 25, 2015 at 7:18 pm
Old May 25, 2015, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter

Thanks.

As I have no status on AA or US, I guess I had to pay the
$150 upgrade fee to upgrade to first class on the Dash-8-300:

Link:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...nly-105-a.html
Old May 25, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)

On Dash-8 typically I find rows 1-4 impacted by w&b requests. Row 5 or 6 keeps you mid aircraft and less likely to be asked to move.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.