Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US Airways email offering me upgrade to first class on a Dash-8 flight for only $105?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways email offering me upgrade to first class on a Dash-8 flight for only $105?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2015, 9:54 am
Original Poster

I received an email from US Airways this morning and it has confused the bejesus out of me.

My reservation is for a 1-hour flight to CLT. I've taken this flight many times and the flight usually is only in the air for about 45 minutes. It's operated by Piedmont Airlines dba US Airways Express on a Dash-8-300. I just checked my reservation again 5 seconds agao. There's no equipment change and still shows Dash-8-300.

The emails offered me this:

"First Class seats may be available on your flight to Charlotte, NC - CLT Sit up front for $105"

At the bottom, there's a "Add yourself to the list" button.

If I click it, it takes me to a payment page. It does say that I will only be charged if the upgrade gets cleared.
(at which time, the credit card that I used to buy the ticket will be charged $105)

Questions:

(1) is $105 a good deal?

(2) if the upgrade clears, will they install a first class seat on the Dash-8-300 just for me?

(3) if answer to (2) is no, will I get my money back?

Last edited by AppleApe; May 25, 2015 at 10:00 am
Old May 25, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
I thought stuff like that only happened to me. Glad I'm not alone.
Old May 25, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I clicked on this post (F in a Dash 8??) just for laughs and, sure enough, you delivered!

My goodness but those Dash-8s are pieces of garbage. And since you fly right into the weather, even the basic drinks service seems to get cancelled a lot of the time . . . .
Old May 25, 2015, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
I clicked on this post (F in a Dash 8??) just for laughs and, sure enough, you delivered!

My goodness but those Dash-8s are pieces of garbage. And since you fly right into the weather, even the basic drinks service seems to get cancelled a lot of the time . . . .
When I fly on US Airway Express Dash-8, 9 time out of 10 the FA doesn't even
bother serving any drinks.(not even water) Perfect weather, no less. No biggie
for a 45-minute flight, but it does confuse me because I see the drink cart is
fully stocked. Perhaps the FA was just lazy?
Old May 25, 2015, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nicksta
I thought stuff like that only happened to me. Glad I'm not alone.
I decided to have some fun and clicked on the link. I agreed to be charged
$105 when the upgrade on the Dash-8-300 clears. Let's what happens.
Perhaps it's an upgrade to sit in the jumpseat with the FA on my lap?
Old May 25, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by AppleApe
I decided to have some fun and clicked on the link. I agreed to be charged
$105 when the upgrade on the Dash-8-300 clears. Let's what happens.
Perhaps it's an upgrade to sit in the jumpseat with the FA on my lap?
Boy, I was about to say the same thing. They are upgrading you to the FO's seat. I knew they had pilot shortages but this is a little overboard!
Old May 25, 2015, 11:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
When is the flight - so we know how this plays out? Good luck with the upgrade - I figured the system would crash out when you tried to click through.
Old May 26, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I think First class on a Dash-8-100 means 9D which has virtually unlimited legroom....

Old May 26, 2015, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I think First class on a Dash-8-100 means 9D which has virtually unlimited legroom....

I just hope that if I do get upgraded and charged $105 on the Dash-8-300,
they better serve me a 3-course meal and half a bottle of champagne.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by AppleApe
I just hope that if I do get upgraded and charged $105 on the Dash-8-300,
they better serve me a 3-course meal and half a bottle of champagne.
You have read the food thread? If you go by that, you are lucky they don't serve a steaming plate of gruel when you are supposed to get a meal. An F meal on a Dash-8 only has to beat lukewarm water to meet expectations (and likely wouldn't anyway).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.